Modern Gretsch Guitars

Which new gretsch hollowbody?

Anyone have any guidance to offer with a new Gretsch hollowbody? I'm mainly curious as to the price differences. The three that have caught my eye, in order of how bad I want them are 1. 6120-1959, 2. 6118t anniversary, and 3. 6118 players edition. The prices are $2999, $2399 and $2199 respectively. On paper the annies seem the same as the 6120, but with no binding? The 6120 specs a V shaped neck which is appealing as well. I'll add that I already have a dyna jet that I love

I just got the 6118 players edition from StreetSounds. I love it from the little bit of time I've had to play it.

I haven't played the others so can't compare them.

Gibson 335 is sweet. USA made.

– Gretschrocker

Why don't you just go play on the Gibson site. You're comment is highly disrespectful at the very least.

I have to admit I think the Gibson 335 part is kind of funny. (and I'm a Gretsch fan more than a Gibson one!) But assuming this is kind of an international forum it seems like the country of manufacture would be irrelevant and not always indicative of quality.

For the original poster I would go play all of them and see which one you like best, sounds best and feels best.I'm pretty sure once you have them in your hands the choice might be clearer. I would think they're all equal quality with slightly differing features and cosmetics. The player editions seem to be slightly less true to the original Gretschs as far as accessories(strap knobs etc) but if that's not important to you choose on basis of what you like. 6120s can be a little ubiquitous these days but are still nice guitars. Anniversaries to me have a bit more character though I'm not sure why they don't make one like the later 60s models with the bound neck and F-holes.(do they?) I guess to differentiate the models? I just saw a players edition today but didn't check it out to much. The 5420 electromatics can be quite nice if you want to save some bucks and have something pretty damn close. The blacktop filtertrons sound good too.

Thanks for the help! And no, I'll never get a Gibson, maybe a Tokai. I won't be able to play any in person, the only gretsch line sold around me is electromatic. I was worried that the 6120 might seem a bit ubiquitous these days, which is why the Annie caught my eye. A little more stripped down but that color! No mistaking that for another axe

They are all great guitars. Be sure to check the spec's on each model closely because there are some significant differences. For example, the '60 6118 Anni has single coil Hi Lo 'Tron pickups while the 6118T Players Edition Anni has TVJ Flltertron style pickups, ML Bracing and the back and sides are a different color (dark bronze not dark green). The '59 6120 is a very accurate representation of a vintage '59 6120 with a nitro lacquer finish, full trestle bracing, zero fret, and TVJ Classic pickups. I noticed that you are a reasonable driving distance to NYC, I would highly recommend you take a drive to Brooklyn and visit GP sponsor Rocky at Street Sounds NYC. They are a huge Gretsch dealer and you would have the opportunity to actually play these guitars plus Rocky's prices are usually much better than what you will find online and his customer service is excellent.

Well I like Gibson and Gretsch! I like a good 335 but they really don't twang like a Gretsch. I LOVE the 6120, and mine is an SSLVO. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I always found that the Annies seemed a bit more heavily built than the 6120. They didn't sound as close as i would have expected. On paper they are almost identical. Maybe they do now? I don't know - I haven't played a recent Anniversary.

I think Gretschadelphia's advice is good - I suspect that once you can hold one of each of the guitars it will be obvious to you which one you want. FWIW it's not always the most expensive one you like. I once went into Rudy's downtown and tried a bunch of guitars ranging from $2500 to $18000 (!) and my favourite was a $4000 Santa Cruz. And that was still outside my price range.

They are all great guitars. Be sure to check the spec's on each model closely because there are some significant differences. For example, the '60 6118 Anni has single coil Hi Lo 'Tron pickups while the 6118T Players Edition Anni has TVJ Flltertron style pickups, ML Bracing and the back and sides are a different color (dark bronze not dark green). The '59 6120 is a very accurate representation of a vintage '59 6120 with a nitro lacquer finish, full trestle bracing, zero fret, and TVJ Classic pickups. I noticed that you are a reasonable driving distance to NYC, I would highly recommend you take a drive to Brooklyn and visit GP sponsor Rocky at Street Sounds NYC. They are a huge Gretsch dealer and you would have the opportunity to actually play these guitars plus Rocky's prices are usually much better than what you will find online and his customer service is excellent.

– Gretschadelphia

Ahhh...not quite. Two different Players Edition Anni models.

I don't own any of them, but if I was shopping them I'd go full 6120. It's the iconic Gretsch.

And I 2nd the suggestion to take a trip to Rocky's Streetsounds. Not only can you compare but odds are you'll get a great deal.

Why don't you just go play on the Gibson site. You're comment is highly disrespectful at the very least.

– Windsordave

"You're comment is highly disrespectful at the very least."

http://www.elearnenglishlan...

– Ric12string

You're comment is highly disrespectful at the very least.

TV Jones are a real value add proposition.

I would echo the encouragement to go to street sounds if you are within a reasonable drive. When I was shopping on paper for a Gretsch, the Annie seemed like a no-brainer as a no frills Nashville. When I actually got to play them (and it took me three different stores to try everything I wanted, so you're lucky to go to a well stocked store like street sounds) I found every guitar has its own character. A lot of it for me is in the feel of the neck. As all of us have different hands, different necks will feel good or bad to each of us.

For the record, I settled on a 6122-1959.

Gibson 335 is sweet. USA made.

– Gretschrocker

You guys make it fun!

Try as many as you can and save up for the one you really want. Hadn't seen the new Lotus Ivory and Metallic Charcoal Annie before; that's gorgeous.

Well I like Gibson and Gretsch! I like a good 335 but they really don't twang like a Gretsch. I LOVE the 6120, and mine is an SSLVO. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I always found that the Annies seemed a bit more heavily built than the 6120. They didn't sound as close as i would have expected. On paper they are almost identical. Maybe they do now? I don't know - I haven't played a recent Anniversary.

I think Gretschadelphia's advice is good - I suspect that once you can hold one of each of the guitars it will be obvious to you which one you want. FWIW it's not always the most expensive one you like. I once went into Rudy's downtown and tried a bunch of guitars ranging from $2500 to $18000 (!) and my favourite was a $4000 Santa Cruz. And that was still outside my price range.

– JimmyR

If twang is what you seek, you might want to read this discussion on the Telecaster.com discussion page (where there's lots of "twang" lovers)... http://www.tdpri.com/thread...

I was thinking the same. It's getting old.

TV Jones are a real value add proposition.

I would echo the encouragement to go to street sounds if you are within a reasonable drive. When I was shopping on paper for a Gretsch, the Annie seemed like a no-brainer as a no frills Nashville. When I actually got to play them (and it took me three different stores to try everything I wanted, so you're lucky to go to a well stocked store like street sounds) I found every guitar has its own character. A lot of it for me is in the feel of the neck. As all of us have different hands, different necks will feel good or bad to each of us.

For the record, I settled on a 6122-1959.

– jalexanderdixon

I'll echo your remarks on the feel of the neck being a prime part of the decision making process. It would interesting if you could sit down blindfolded and have a 'parade' of Gretsches placed in your hands and play a bit. In that situation, I believe the feel of the neck would come into play big time. Having one of them be a 6122-'59 that has the wider neck would prove interesting.

I'll be financing the guitar, so I don't wanna waste their time up at street sounds as I won't be just plunking down $2000+. I would love to check them out though! I have a 57 silver jet which has, I guess, a medium C shape? I love that, but could use a little more girth. The 59 6120 specs claim a V shape, and the others all day "standard U." what is the standard U, thick, thin, medium etc? Right now I'm really aiming at the Vintage Select smoke green annie, with the TV HiloTrons, I kinda like the unbound fretboard, and I love the green!!! That model is $2399

I'll also add that neck profile isn't a deal breaker, or maker at that; unless it's way thin or super fat I can deal with anything, so what differences, aside from the obvious lack of binding on the annie, are there between two axes from the same vintage select series, one being the Annie at $2399 and the 6120 at $2999? Thanks for the help! I know just playing them is the obvious answer, but I won't be able to do that. I'll be using sweetwater, who I use for pretty much everything, unless someone else has prices far lower. Thanks!

I guess I'll also add that the next one doesn't have to be a full sized hollowbody; I love the sound of my silver jet with the stock dynas, so maybe get a new VS jet with the T-armonds? I've never owned or played a large hollowbody for any real length of time, maybe it's not for me?

Register Sign in to join the conversation