Modern Gretsch Guitars

Which Jet/penguin to get?

As I have re-delved into the world of Gretsch I realized that I am looking more towards a solid body. My requirements are that I don’t like thin necks, I like single coils, and it needs to be black or green. I really like the look of the penguin, but a jet will do to. Bigsby is optional, but preferred.

With those requirements, is there a specific model and year that stands out?

This is a 2017, any idea if it is a vintage select or not?

!

– r0de0

Besides the colour, how does this version compare to the vintage select series? I love the CDG Penguins, but don't know if they are worth the upcharge from a standard penguin.

Well the obvious answer would be a VS '53 Duo jet but I worry that the neck might be too slim. The soft-V neck on my '59VS is very slim - similar in feel to my SSLVO but slightly slimmer front-to-back. Or at least that's how it feels.

How fortuitous - I just posted a thread that might help.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

According to specs, Jimmy, only the 59VS has the V-profile. The 57 and 53 are listed as having the "standard U" neck shape. Is that true? I don't know. You can't completely trust Gretsch's website, which is where I got the info...

Not if that's a black guitar. No SynchroSonic, humpblocks, or T-Roof logo on a black VS. If it's Cad green, most of the features match the VS - but it doesn't have an armrest.

Not if that's a black guitar. No SynchroSonic, humpblocks, or T-Roof logo on a black VS. If it's Cad green, most of the features match the VS - but it doesn't have an armrest.

– Proteus

It’s green, no armrest

I have spent enough on guitars for quite some time but now I am thinking a '53 VS Jet could be cool. If the "standard U" is anything like the neck on the Player's Edition Jet it is quite a different feel but still quite slim.

Also, if I extend my search to white penguin, how do the older 6134t-ltv compare? Or is the penguin vs still the cream of the crop?

Also, if I extend my search to white penguin, how do the older 6134t-ltv compare? Or is the penguin vs still the cream of the crop?

– Boyter

Only if you like Penguins... I prefer Jets.

Only if you like Penguins... I prefer Jets.

– kc_eddie_b

Besides the cosmetics, is there a functional difference?

Probably only if you surmise that the additional headstock mass on the bird balances the body in a different way, creating different spectral nodes via acoustic phase cancellation/reinforcement.

So...probably not.

– Boyter

That's a cool version of the Penguin.

Laquer and TV Classics standard.....dang nice little Bird.

Besides the cosmetics, is there a functional difference?

– Boyter

It's the aesthetic... my style, ego, and playing ability just can't get behind the Penguin-vibe. The Penguin (and Falcon) can be characterized as "over-the-top", and that ain't me. No disrespect for those who match up to it better than I.

It's the aesthetic... my style, ego, and playing ability just can't get behind the Penguin-vibe. The Penguin (and Falcon) can be characterized as "over-the-top", and that ain't me. No disrespect for those who match up to it better than I.

– kc_eddie_b

I understand, for me both styles work . The truth is, I am going to modify this guitar to be a ssh style.

GET A DUOJET! Dynasonics and a bigsby. Done, done and done.

I have a 2006 6134:

I have a 2006 6134:

– r0de0

How do you think it compares to duo Jets vs?

The 2006 should have a less chambered, 1.75" deep body vs the 2" fully chambered body of the Vintage Select models.

Don't know what pickups are in the '06 Penguin, but both VS Jets have T-Armonds - which are universally considered superior to Gretsch's stock Tokiwa-made Dynas.

I have Tim/Proteus answer my queries thank you. Please have your people contact my people.

The U profile on Gretsch necks are not thin and they are not too thick either. For me they feel really full and comfortable.

I just left a shop, i played the players edition jet and the broadkaster. I loved the neck on both. The jet was amazing, if it was a standard jet I would have bought it, but the tail bothers me.

When they say that the body depth on the G6128T-57 is 2", is that binding to binding or somewhere in the middle?

The reason I ask is because I am about to buy a used G6128T, but am confused about what I'm getting. The paper work simply says G6128T. The pickups are TV Jones, the headstock is brown, there never has been an armrest, the binding-to-binding measurement is 1.75", I called gretsch customer service with the serial number and they said it was a G6128T-57 from 2017.

Register Sign in to join the conversation