Modern Gretsch Guitars

Which Gretsch model is it ?

Found lots of links but nothing relevant on the www.

the body... found some years ago as a second hand, should be early 2000... or something like that.

Synchro Jets of that era did not have sn's . (Well they did but they were on stickers)

Here's mine. This guitar was why I posted my first question on these pages over a decade ago.

Specifically, it was a sub-Electromatic model. Korean-made at the time, I think. Though maybe China.

Bolt-on neck, right?

I had one as well, but in comparison to Electromatics and Pro-lines, it's kinda the least Gretschy of modern Gretschs. A wrap-around bridge doesn't provide the usual Gretsch string dynamics (which come from having some string length between a bridge and a tailpiece), and the pickups - semi-officially called Gretschbuckers, but sometimes called dumbuckers are not notably Gretsch-like either.

The sparkle finish is all-Gretsch, though!

None of this is to imply they're bad guitars. The ones which have passed through my hands have played well, with respectable build, fit, and finish. They can sound good too; they just don't have quite the degree of sonic individuality as Gretschs with more traditionally Gretsch-like hardware and construction.

Mine was silver sparkle, and according to my records was a G1626.

Mine was silver sparkle, and according to my records was a G1626.

– Proteus

If you had the variant with the F-hole, that would be correct. Different model numbers for different finishes... All the same wolf underneath, regardless of the color of the sheepskin.

Models 1615 to 1619-- Synchromatic Sparkle Jets(no F-hole)

Models 1625 to 1629-- same guitar, but with single F-hole on the bass side.

Models 2615 to 2619-- same as 1615 to 1619, but with "Electromatic" on the headstock.

Models 2625 to 2629-- same as 1625 to 1629, but with "Electromatic" on the headstock.

Clear as mud? Confused yet? Why we needed 20 variants of the same budget-model guitar is anyone's guess... No wonder FMIC dropped them when they stepped in... You need an accounting degree to keep up with them.

Specifically, it was a sub-Electromatic model. Korean-made at the time, I think. Though maybe China.

Bolt-on neck, right?

I had one as well, but in comparison to Electromatics and Pro-lines, it's kinda the least Gretschy of modern Gretschs. A wrap-around bridge doesn't provide the usual Gretsch string dynamics (which come from having some string length between a bridge and a tailpiece), and the pickups - semi-officially called Gretschbuckers, but sometimes called dumbuckers are not notably Gretsch-like either.

The sparkle finish is all-Gretsch, though!

None of this is to imply they're bad guitars. The ones which have passed through my hands have played well, with respectable build, fit, and finish. They can sound good too; they just don't have quite the degree of sonic individuality as Gretschs with more traditionally Gretsch-like hardware and construction.

– Proteus

mine is Corean, sounds good indeed needs a bigsby maybe, i believe there are models sold as Electromatic for sure...

And the f-hole let me see that it wasn't made of any recognizable real wood. It actually looked like composite.

I've actually been complimented on the tone of mine. I've found a way to make those Gretschbuckers sing, with a few adjustments.

Then there are the 29xx Electromatic and 19xx Synchromatic with bolt on necks. Had a 2910 double cut jet.

G1619---my first Gretsch.

Warning---they lead to the hard stuff.

Just picked this one up. NOS 2004-5 Synchromatic 1126 Junior Jet I

These were distributed by Midco/Musicorp. We carried the Synchromatic Sparkle Jets as well as the Historic Series in the late '90s. I think our rep said they were Korean-made.

Register Sign in to join the conversation