Modern Gretsch Guitars

Which Beatles tunes has Harrison played the Duo Jet on?

Can someone list out Beatles songs which features George Harrison playing the Duo Jet on please. Thank You!

I don't know if this is complete, but this is taken from Dhani Harrison's app, Guitar Collection:George Harrison.

I believe it's all of the songs on the Please Please Me album plus the single From Me To You. It sounds like Love Me Do is only acoustic guitars. The Live at the BBC CDs have a lot of songs that feature his Duo Jet. It has a tone that is different than the guitars he used later.

Well it would be whatever they recorded up til when he got the first Gent in springtime 1963(?) Someone here said She Loves You was the first Gent song.

I think a good follow up question is whether he used the duo jet after '63 when he started using other guitars. Was that the end of the duo jet?

I think a good follow up question is whether he used the duo jet after '63 when he started using other guitars. Was that the end of the duo jet?

– gmascis

I wish he would have but I don't think he did. I remember reading something a while ago that it was suffering from some faulty wiring and was not working properly for many years until he brought it out for his solo album Cloud Nine in the mid 1980's. I wish he would have gotten it repaired earlier and used it more often. His Duo Jet tones are my favorite.

I'd go with Dhani's list, as he had it first hand from his Dad.

– Deed Eddy

Yes Deed, thank you for posting this list! I've been trying to sort through the different George Harrison guitars used on Beatles recordings using my ears and knowledge of when he used certain guitars. I didn't realize he played his Duo Jet on Please Mister Postman. The list you posted is a gem.

I was just thinking this same question yesterday. Weird cosmic transference going on.

Me too. My wondering came out of the discussion of John's Gibson acoustic that is being auctioned.

Don't forget the Decca Audition tapes. There is also a Paul instrumental called "Catswalk" that is pure Duo Jet. Two versions of this song exist: one with lots of Bigsby and the other without. Also, the live show they did in Hamburg (Star Club?). Figuring out which Gretsch he used on a particular song is worthy of lots of research IMHO.

This is a great thread! It's a question I've always had in my head, but I never made the effort to find out. Thanks!

I'm surprised to hear that Please Please Me was the Duo Jet. George's guitar sound is huge. I would have thought it was the Country Gentleman. Cool.

Catswalk is a neat song - never heard that one before

It's a shame that after he gave it to Voorman who had it 20 years or so and let it totally run down. George took good care of his guitars but I guess Voorman trashed it until George got it back just before CLoud Nine. No evidence he used it on that record, although the Rick 12 came back after years out of the picture.

Why is this posted in the MODERN WORLD Gretsch section?

I don't know if this is complete, but this is taken from Dhani Harrison's app, Guitar Collection:George Harrison.

– Deed Eddy

Deed, thanks for the heads up on a fantastic ap. You can listen to all of the songs played by each guitar. So fun.

I wouldn't be too sure of Dhani's list. Just because he is George's son does not mean he is an expert on all things George/Beatles. Do you really think George told his little boy which guitar he used on every Beatle song? Beatles have 213 songs. You really think he went through every one of them with his son?

Just listen to the song "Please Please Me" and you can easily hear it is certainly not the Duo Jet doing those guitar licks. Those "Please Please Me" guitar licks sounds nothing like George's guitar licks on "I Saw Her Standing There" which is the Jet. Dhani is clearly wrong about the Duo Jet being on the song "Please Please Me." If he is wrong there, he's most likely wrong on other songs on that list.

I'm not even close to being a Beatles expert, but many online resources indicate that George got the CG around mid-63, and Please Please Me was recorded in late '62, when the Duo Jet was his main instrument.

Please Please Me was recorded in late '62, when the Duo Jet was his main instrument.

Main live instrument.

George got his Gibson acoustic long before the band went into the studio to record the "Please Please Me" album. That Gibson J-160 was also his main instrument. More so than the Duo Jet. The J-160 is the guitar that is heard on more Beatle songs than any other guitar.

(And just to clarify things, the "Please Please Me" album was recorded in '63, not '62.)

This is where I found the information about 1962. I'm referring to the song, not the album. George's electric riffs don't sound much like a J160 to my ears

http://www.beatlesbible.com...

In the opinion of George Martin, "At that stage Please Please Me was a very dreary song. It was like a Roy Orbison number, very slow, bluesy vocals. It was obvious to me that it badly needed pepping up. I told them to bring it in next time and we'd have another go at it."[12] He asked the Beatles to consider making major changes to it, including increasing its tempo.[7] By the time it was brought back into the studio on 26 November 1962, its arrangement had been radically altered, and it took 18 takes to record what George Martin immediately predicted would be their first major hit.[13] "We sang it and George Martin said, 'Can we change the tempo?' We said, 'What's that?' He said, 'Make it a bit faster. Let me try it.' And he did. We thought, 'Oh, that's all right, yes.' Actually, we were a bit embarrassed that he had found a better tempo than we had." (Paul McCartney, from Anthology).[8]<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

@Spirit "Just listen to the song "Please Please Me" and you can easily hear it is certainly not the Duo Jet doing those guitar licks. Those "Please Please Me" guitar licks sounds nothing like George's guitar licks on "I Saw Her Standing There" which is the Jet."

I'm used to play old dearmonds and Please Please Me is the very specific sound I got every day at home playing '50 gretsches ! IMHO 90% it was the neck jet pickup ! So the only thing I could agree is that "I saw her..." is the jet too...

These conversations always lead me to a puzzling question-

If all the various Gretsch pickups sound so distinctive, why is identification so confusing?

There are very few variables at play here- same player, same band, same studio, same producer, same amplifier. The playing field could hardly be more level or fair.

Dhani was old enough before his father passed to have had meaningful discussions regarding gear, etc. George was very much into his gear (much more than John and to a lesser extent Paul) and it would not surprise me if he passed on this information to his son. It's great that Dhani has become the keeper of the flame for his father's legacy and is sharing it with the fans. He seems to be a very decent human being.

If all the various Gretsch pickups sound so distinctive, why is identification so confusing? There are very few variables at play here- same player, same band, same studio, same producer, same amplifier. The playing field could hardly be more level or fair.

It probably lends some credence to the old saying that tone is in the hands.

But each song and mix is different. If you had George playing the Duo Jet on one take and the J-160E on another take with all else being equal, I suspect it would be much easier to tell which is which.

There seems to be sufficient documentation and research regarding timelines that this information would not have to come from Dhani personally

http://www.beatlesebooks.co...

Register Sign in to join the conversation