Modern Gretsch Guitars

Where to measure Jet bodies for 2 inch depth reading

Long title explains it... If I were to measure my Cliff Gallup Duo Jet do I do edge of body or somewhere in the middle(pickup cavity) where the top is higher?

Thanks

Edge of body.

I took depth measurements out of the database because guitars seem to be incredibly difficult to get accurate measurements on. Even when we all agree on what it should be, what people reported seeing was all over the place. Which I suppose is why we are not all woodworkers.

Having said that, while I haven’t personally measured jets, 2” sounds too thick. I would expect to see 1 3/4 or 1 7/8, tops. My Clippers aren’t even a full 2” thick.

My 2016 silver jet was 1.8", but my 2017 53 jet is a full 2"

I took depth measurements out of the database because guitars seem to be incredibly difficult to get accurate measurements on. Even when we all agree on what it should be, what people reported seeing was all over the place. Which I suppose is why we are not all woodworkers.

Having said that, while I haven’t personally measured jets, 2” sounds too thick. I would expect to see 1 3/4 or 1 7/8, tops. My Clippers aren’t even a full 2” thick.

– Baxter

If I remember correct, all the new vintage select Jets has a 2" thick body.

Check video at around 2.00.

Gretsch NAMM 2017

My 2006 lefty White Penguin is 1 13/16 If that means anything to anybody?

If I remember correct, all the new vintage select Jets has a 2" thick body.

Check video at around 2.00.

Gretsch NAMM 2017

– Andreas

What I'm saying, though, is that what we regularly saw was

Specs say X Person 1 says "Mine measures something other than X" Person 2 says "Mine measures something other than X, and something other than Person 1 saw"

So everyone is theoretically talking about the same guitars -- same model, same year, same factory -- but none of the measurements ever, well, measured up.

So they are all over the place. looking at pics of the 6128-53 and 6128GH they look like the 6128 Cliff Gallup. As soon as I get home I will measure

So to be clear on taking a measurement, one should measure from the edge of the back, to the edge of the top. Correct?

From edge to edge my Penguin measures 2". I'll check my silver sparkle later. It's under my babies crib and he's napping now. Don't rock the boat you know.

From edge to edge my Penguin measures 2". I'll check my silver sparkle later. It's under my babies crib and he's napping now. Don't rock the boat you know.

– UncleGrumpy

Let sleeping penguins lie.

My 2017 Cliff Gallup is just under 2 inches.

If you guys want some fun, and have a 5422, measure the thickness.

Hint, check in several places.

If you guys want some fun, and have a 5422, measure the thickness.

Hint, check in several places.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I did! It was fun because it is very similar to my 1996 6129.

My 6129 sparkle jet is a full 2" at the lower bout and gradually gets thinner as you go to the upper bout.

Yep, I had to scratch my head when I measured mine for the first time. I was surprised at the taper, but it sure is comfortable to play.

Had to check my other Gretsches. Same thickness all the way around the body.

My 5422 is amazing, I'm saving up for a limited run 5420. Now I gotta check my 5120. Not that it matters but it's fun to know. Heck, tomorrow I'll check all of my Gretsch guitars.

Joe said butt! Hey Joe, how you doing?

Following Joe's instructions the Cliff is 2 inches at the butt.

Register Sign in to join the conversation