Modern Gretsch Guitars

Where does Brian Setzer distortion come from?

I love you bro. A lot of the fun we have with our boxes is because of you.

Hope that doesn't sound too weird?

sheeze you guys... I waited... I held my tongue... and I get mocked. I am truly loved, and grateful for the friendship.

– TheNocturneBrain

Don't sweat it, bro. People suck. You're cool. We go back to the Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge days when I was one of the freaks egging you on to make the original Brain Seltzer! The Setzer "tone chase" has been much fun with you over the years.

I think all of you repeatedly hit the nail on the head regarding his gear. Problem is that all this stuff is both rare and expensive (with all good reason)...at least If your seriously trying to nail the tone....Or if your a huge fanatic with a collectors spirit. I can testify that I’m that....

by the way, no one has mentioned that he sometimes uses a tube screamer pedal.

Also, have fun cranking a bassman anywhere near 5!

I think all of you repeatedly hit the nail on the head regarding his gear. Problem is that all this stuff is both rare and expensive (with all good reason)...at least If your seriously trying to nail the tone....Or if your a huge fanatic with a collectors spirit. I can testify that I’m that....

by the way, no one has mentioned that he sometimes uses a tube screamer pedal.

Also, have fun cranking a bassman anywhere near 5!

– erick lopez

To play in front of a Bassman on 5 with the Treble on 10 (I noticed that he has backed it down since the BSO days when it was always dimed) is painful - and apparently can/will give you tinnitus.

I had the '59 6120, RE-301, '63 Bassman with V30s rig for a long time. I brought it to the first Nashville Roundup in 2008. The next time that echo and amp left the house was 2016 when I drove it to the north side of Chicago and deposited it in the WILCO Loft. Jeff also found it too loud to be very useful for anything.

Billy do you have a particular current production 5881 tubes that you are fond of?

– LarryR

Sovtek 5881's & Sovtek 12AX7WA's are as good as it gets!

To play in front of a Bassman on 5 with the Treble on 10 (I noticed that he has backed it down since the BSO days when it was always dimed) is painful - and apparently can/will give you tinnitus.

I had the '59 6120, RE-301, '63 Bassman with V30s rig for a long time. I brought it to the first Nashville Roundup in 2008. The next time that echo and amp left the house was 2016 when I drove it to the north side of Chicago and deposited it in the WILCO Loft. Jeff also found it too loud to be very useful for anything.

– JBGretschGuy

Now THAT is very interesting....

I always figured fronting a big band (lots of volume all by itself) likely required more volume onstage as well.... when you've got 12 horns firing at the back of your head!

In-ear monitors may have been a solution. But convincing old school guys to use them is like pushing a boulder up a hill.

I have used them a lot and I think they can also damage your hearing. It’s a delicate balance.

In-ear monitors may have been a solution. But convincing old school guys to use them is like pushing a boulder up a hill.

I have used them a lot and I think they can also damage your hearing. It’s a delicate balance.

– JBGretschGuy

We went to in-ears in our rehearsal space, to lower the volume (the drummer also put a trigger kit on his set, essentially triggers and mutes), and it works. But I HATE it. I have to leave one ear out- the one closest to my amp. I will take a good (standard) monitor mix ANY DAY over in-ears.

I'm not the biggest fan of earbuds (iPod) either. Good headphones are ok. When I REALLY need to hear something, headphones. But otherwise, give me open air any day.

Register Sign in to join the conversation