Modern Gretsch Guitars

When Musician’s Friend Blew Out G6119T-62 For $899

Remember when Musician's Friend blew out the G6119T-62 for $899? It wasn't Stupid Deal of the Day but they were just getting rid of them. Maybe 15 years ago.

Just curious if any of you bought one. Why did they do this big blow out sale? Was it pre-FMIC relationship with Gretsch so they wanted to get rid of Pre-Fender models? I was tempted and should have purchased one but didn't. If you bought one do you still have it?

I remember that . . .was that 15 years ago? In my mind it was like 2008? I recall they were blowing out the ones without Chet's signature on the pickguard to make way for the ones with Chet's signature on the pickguard. That seems like a silly reason for that deep of a discount, but that's what stuck with me, right or wrong.

I remember that . . .was that 15 years ago? In my mind it was like 2008? I recall they were blowing out the ones without Chet's signature on the pickguard to make way for the ones with Chet's signature on the pickguard. That seems like a silly reason for that deep of a discount, but that's what stuck with me, right or wrong.

– AndyJ

You are probably right about 2008. I was just guessing since FMIC and Gretsch made that business agreement so I thought maybe that was some blowout of pre-FMIC 6119s. I am sure you are right about 2008. Also Chet Atkins estate and Gretsch teamed up in 2008 and what you say about blowing out ones with "Nashville" designation on the name rings a bell too. I am sure you are right.

Gretsch is still calling the 6119 the Tennessee Rose because Gibson just won't let go, even if they do now have Chet's sig.

You are probably right about 2008. I was just guessing since FMIC and Gretsch made that business agreement so I thought maybe that was some blowout of pre-FMIC 6119s. I am sure you are right about 2008. Also Chet Atkins estate and Gretsch teamed up in 2008 and what you say about blowing out ones with "Nashville" designation on the name rings a bell too. I am sure you are right.

– ThePolecats

2008 might as well be 15 years ago, the way time flies . . .

Regarding the Pre-FMIC 6119's, I think those were just straight up "modern" Tennessee Roses: 2" Hollowbody, open f-holes, w/ceramic Filters. The '62 RI with Electrotone body and HiLo's didn't come out until the FMIC era . . . though someone better in the know can correct me on that. (Or I could just research it . . . hehe.)

Gretsch is still calling the 6119 the Tennessee Rose because Gibson just won't let go, even if they do now have Chet's sig.

– lx

Yeah, ain't it interesting?

It seems like they got even cheaper than that at one point. MF did the same thing at the same price with the Rick 325C58 models.

It seems like they got even cheaper than that at one point. MF did the same thing at the same price with the Rick 325C58 models.

– JBGretschGuy

Too bad I missed the Rickenbacker deal. They did that with the D’Angelico EX-1 that some of us took advantage of.

I remember that deal,and crying from afar ,stuff like that never, and i mean NEVER ,happens over here.

There was never any discount on the 6119 62 in the UK that i am aware of.

Just the same as there wasn't any discount on the 6119 59.

I got one. It's FMIC, and fully and completely up to snuff. Great guitar; it's the one I put a third HiLo in.

I don't KNOW why they were subject to such a clearance deal. I don't think it was a spec issue. If I had to guess, I'd wonder if FMIC maybe overestimated demand for the first modern HiLoTron reissue model, and it turned out not to sell in similar quantities to Filter and Dyna models.

Tim could you please post a picture of yours. Somehow I missed the pics you may have posted. Three pickup HiLo guitar sounds like it looks cool. Love to see it.

Do you think a Dyna would fit in the HiLo route? If so are you going to try that?

Thanks.

I can post pics when I get home after the festivities, Saturday maybe.

I barely have cell, and no wi-fi at the moment.

Thanks Tim. Look forward to the pics.

I also recall right before Gretsch returned to the original Atkins model names and endorsement (around '06 I think), non-Atkins badged 6122's were getting blown out for around $1,200. I was shopping for my first Gretsch and almost pulled the trigger on one at my local shop (the legendary Cintioli's in NE Philly) but called Shanghai on recommendation from posts I had read on the GP and Joel gave me a great deal on one of the original run of 100 Power Tenny's. I also recall a similar great deal on Dyna Jets a couple years after that.

Like so.

Only it's bigger in real life. I can even imagine bigger pictures of it. In fact, this WAS a bigger picture of it, before it was run through the GDP Hunny-I-Shrunk-the-Pics™ Converter.

Tim, very nice. Thanks for posting. Never saw a three pickup 6119 before. Great work on the mod.

That must be why there is such a large number of 2005 Tennessee Rose models represented here. I didn't get mine from Musician's Friend but I got a good deal on it as well a couple of years ago.

I just bought used a lefty G6119tlh-62ht from 2003, first year of fender, it has all the vintage specs except ebony fretboard. I know there were some models with FT and ebony fretboard but they were different color and not available lefty.... I really love this guitar, HT are nice and the electrotone body is very confortable

I bought one when they went down to that great price. I liked the guitar but it didn’t jive with my style of playing due to the HiLo’s being so low in output. I sold it after thinking I’d take another approach with it by using flatwounds on it. Beautiful guitars, though. Other folks get fantastic sounds out of HiLo’s, but not me.

Speaking of electrotone bodies, are the 6119 made the same way as the duojet ? I always thought they were because of the rounded back sides

Some kind of reverse rickenbacker body construction... when I will restring the guitar I will check the inside

I bought one when they went down to that great price. I liked the guitar but it didn’t jive with my style of playing due to the HiLo’s being so low in output. I sold it after thinking I’d take another approach with it by using flatwounds on it. Beautiful guitars, though. Other folks get fantastic sounds out of HiLo’s, but not me.

– Troy6120

Troy, how did you like it with flatwounds vs. rounds?

Here’s one in action but a vintage model in right hand, turned upside down for this lefty. His has a bolt down Bigsby. Dave W makes good with this guitar. Not sure which amp he’s playing thru but they got the requisite Roland Jazz Chorus up there for British bands of that era.

I liked it more than I did with roundwounds, but it made me realize I’m not a HiLo Tron guy. I enjoy HiLo’s in the hands of others, though! I’m definitely not knocking them. It was a gorgeous guitar in, and of, itself. I wish I’d kept it and just swapped pickups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation