Modern Gretsch Guitars

When did Gretsch reissue the Dynasonic?

The discussion about the Guild X-160 Rockabilly, which uses the DeArmond 2000s, got me to wondering when they redid the DeArmond right and came out with the Dynasonics. Does anyone remember which year it was?

I assume that it was sometime after Gretsch contracted with Fender in 2002.

I may be wrong here, but IIRC Fender bought the DeArmond name long before they started their cooperation with Gretsch. They released a Telecaster with (what looked like) Dynas, called "TeleSonic". Then they released a mid-priced line of guitars, based on Guild (which they owned at the time) to showcase their new DeArmond pickup-line, which they also called DeArmond. Mid-to late-nineties, I guess (I own a blue sparkle DeArmond M-75T, great guitar but heavy as heck!). I have the Fender Frontline magazines somewhere in the basement, I think the full story was published in one of them. Mind, you, it's been 20 years, so my memory might not be 100% accurate...

Anders

Dynas have been available on several pre-FMIC Gretsch models. AFAIK they didn't change much (unlike the Filtertrons) when Fender became involved. So I assume it was during the first half of the 1990s when they were reissued. The catalogue section will help. As they were not called DeArmonds I tend to believe there was no connection between Dynas and Fender at the time and Gretsch manufactured them.

For the life of me I can't recall, but I think Sascha is right. The 6128-57 (i have one from '94) has dynasonics and I think it was the "first" reissue of that pickup in the line (pre-Fender).

My '93 Duo Jet '57 reissue had Dynas . . .

I recall seeing video of the Traveling Wilburys with Dyna equipped Gretsch guitars, so that would be late 80's & early 90's.

I recall seeing video of the Traveling Wilburys with Dyna equipped Gretsch guitars, so that would be late 80's & early 90's.

– Caliban335

Wouldn't those have been vintage guitars?

In the videos and photos some of them still had hang tags. I guess some could be vintage.

The first generation of Duane Eddy 6120's had them; this would be around '94-ish IIRC

Register Sign in to join the conversation