Modern Gretsch Guitars

What were they thinking?

Looking at one of the new “players edition” pro-line guitars and my god what is Gretsch thinking? First I love the vintage Script logo but what is up with this pick guard? And of course the pointy stop tailpiece?

I like change and new ideas but this just doesn’t seem to work. The pick guard in particular. Why the need to have access to the adjustment screws for the pickups? It just looks out of place to me.

I think that the V shaped tail piece is a nod to Cadillac V8. Gretsches generally don’t look complete without a Bigsby imo.

Sometimes I think the guitar world is running out of ideas. Look at Fender's models that just take elements of different classic models and combine them in new models.

Sometimes I think the guitar world is running out of ideas. Look at Fender's models that just take elements of different classic models and combine them in new models.

– DCBirdMan

It's not just the guitar world. Look at autos and Hollywood.

– DCBirdMan

Every car in the USA has been slowly morphing into a Ford Taurus for some time now. Soon they will all be indistinguishable from each other

I'm with you on the pickguard. How lazy do you have to be to not be able to remove a pickguard to set up a guitar? Then again, I'm sure there are tweakers and defiantly anti-aesthetic types who prefer it this way.

Huh.

I was just wondering a couple days ago, as I took the pickguard off a Gretsch to adjust pickup height, why they didn't cut little notches to give access to the screws. I think they're a good idea. I don't think of myself as defiantly anti-aesthetic, but there aren't many functional features which annoy me.

Ah shore wuz happy when Fender moved the truss rod adjustment to the top of the neck. And I like that they leave the hole accessible without having to remove three screws to get a TRC off (at least one of which is always directly under a string). I don't suppose you can attractively leave the cover off a Gretsch TR access hole, because there's the unsightly guts of the guitar showing. But taking it off still annoys me. I thank Gibson for using only two screws.

But there's always something to whine about, huh?

Huh.

I was just wondering a couple days ago, as I took the pickguard off a Gretsch to adjust pickup height, why they didn't cut little notches to give access to the screws. I think they're a good idea. I don't think of myself as defiantly anti-aesthetic, but there aren't many functional features which annoy me.

Ah shore wuz happy when Fender moved the truss rod adjustment to the top of the neck. And I like that they leave the hole accessible without having to remove three screws to get a TRC off (at least one of which is always directly under a string). I don't suppose you can attractively leave the cover off a Gretsch TR access hole, because there's the unsightly guts of the guitar showing. But taking it off still annoys me. I thank Gibson for using only two screws.

But there's always something to whine about, huh?

– Proteus

Seems like you’re whining about having to take a couple screws off?

To about the same degree you’re whining about having access notches.

like the pickguard, but the tailpiece is two bagger ugly.

I actually like these. Some people like different things.

I do believe most of the visual incoherence comes from that stop tailpiece. I’ll add that to my eye, on this pick guard the mounting screws seem to “fight” for space on the guard with the “notches.”

In design I think it’s wise to repeat shapes. The “V” stands alone in this case and is not mirrored anywhere else on the guitar giving it an awkward look, and at the same time becoming a focal point. I’m sure Gretsch has a design team. Surely someone raised their hand in protest during the design phase.

Note how the Cadillac tailpiece shape is mirrored in the headstock and truss rod cover vs the stand alone “V” on the newer design. Gretsch was smart in its design back in the day to repeat the idea. In the case if the Penguin and White Falcon they used the shape three times in the design. Three being the magic number to give it an aesthetic home.

Only one "V"

– Gerry Ratrod

Yep, but those hump block style fret inlays give some balance to it. The hump blocks come close to a “V” shape. Notice how the top of the head stock is the same shape as the inlays. Design is huge in marketing, and I’d venture to say that companies in general, pay less attention to small details than they used to.

My biggest issue with these new Jets is the thick, plastic finishes on them or at least on the guitars I tried at NAMM in 2018.

I know I'm in the minority but I like The "V" stop tail but I don't get the pick guard either.

I just added a B6 to my Dad’s 2622 with a v stop tail. I had to order new posts from towner because their standard kit doesn’t fit metric. It actually works great as is, but it could definitely use a bit more break angle.

I like the V tail,i didn't at first though,but it grew on me.

The pickguard is just silly.

I think the V tailpiece makes sense if for no other reason than to make them look less Gibsony.

If the Pickguard didn’t have notches in it then the pickup adjustment screws would dig into the plastic and ruin the finish from underneath...if these are traditional back painted plexi guards. Also it would probably cause a rattle.

I like the little notches better than the full cutout like a Les Paul etc.

Honestly I’d rather not have English mounted FilterTrons at all. I think it cheapens the look having more screws in the plastic trim. But I understand that this enables filters to be installed, hanging, in just about any style guitar now.

I’m not a fan of the V stop tail either. With a regular one on there it would look even more like a LP.

I wish Gretsch would just go back to the traditional G tailpiece on these.

I’d probably buy one then

I guess it’s all about the neck set / angle on these.

Yep, but those hump block style fret inlays give some balance to it. The hump blocks come close to a “V” shape. Notice how the top of the head stock is the same shape as the inlays. Design is huge in marketing, and I’d venture to say that companies in general, pay less attention to small details than they used to.

– Hipbone

So the ones with thumbnail inlays are badly designed? Dude, it's OK to dislike something for no reason.

i don't have a problem with the pickguard access slots. i'm with Proteus regarding minor practical alterations to particular models, and pickguards are pretty much the most ephemeral/disposable part of an electric guitar other than the truss rod cover. the V tailpiece bothers me, though. i'm not sure if it's because it's such a visual oddity compared to every other stop tailpiece i've ever seen, or because the V shape does indeed clash with the Jet's contours, which are rounded almost to the point of voluptuousness compared to a Les Paul. the thing is, though, what would you do instead? as noted, a straight stop tailpiece would look too Gibson-esque. maybe an adaptation of the piano-shaped bridge string-mounts on the 50s Ranchers? or something sort of like this?

https://www.stewmac.com/Har...

Register Sign in to join the conversation