Modern Gretsch Guitars

What do we have here… Electromatic to Falcon conversion?

Apparantly this is a 5120 converted to look like a Falcon, on Reverb

I'm not so sure what to think of it. Looks pretty neat to me, lots of work done to it I guess! Plugged the pot holes, bridge pickup rerouted, whatever they did to the headstock, repainted...

(I'm not affiliated with the seller in any kind, just sharing)

Umm, no. I'll be the first to call BS on this one.

First, it's not even close to a 5120, much less a Falcon.

It's essentially a lipstick on a pig. The base guitar is one of the Chinese counterfeit "Gretsch" models. Headstock, tuning machines, truss rod cover are all wrong. Even the neck heel is wrong... Not to mention the thumbnail markers are not even close. Finally, the body shape contour is wrong as well. Sure, someone has tarted it up a bit with what appears to be some genuine Gretsch hardware (knob, pickup, space control bridge, and the Bigsby-- the WRONG Model.. a B3), but it still looks like a cheap copy guitar to the experienced eye. Is "Whore of Babylon" still considered a perjorative term in this day & age?

Run away.... Fast.

This was never a Gretsch to begin with... Except perhaps in the mind of the pirates who sold it on Alibaba.

Wasn't considering buying it, I thought it was a real interesting project. But it ís a real Gretsch apparantly. It's just not a 5120! I asked the seller for a serial pic, I got this.

Looks like a 5124. The entire thing would make a lot more sense already. Binding correct, no new pickup routes needed because of the T-Armonds, color close enough.

To me it does look like a hot rodded 5120. I've just checked out pics of the 5120's and to me the bodyshape, thumbnails, fretboard, f-holes, cream and black binding and neck heel seem to be the same as this one. (chinese copies are WAY off although I recently saw one with decent shaped f-holes) I think it's what it says it is. A lot of work done to a 5120, kind of a poor man's Chris Cheney signature model. I think I kinda like it.

(I'm not affiliated with the seller)

Edit: That label seems to say 5121

To me it does look like a hot rodded 5120. I've just checked out pics of the 5120's and to me the bodyshape, thumbnails, fretboard, f-holes, cream and black binding and neck heel seem to be the same as this one. (chinese copies are WAY off although I recently saw one with decent shaped f-holes) I think it's what it says it is. A lot of work done to a 5120, kind of a poor man's Chris Cheney signature model. I think I kinda like it.

(I'm not affiliated with the seller)

Edit: That label seems to say 5121

– Mike2000

I believe the 5120s never had the cream + black binding, just cream. The 512# series did though, if I'm not mistaken.

The label does say 5124, but it's a bit blurry. Here's a crop.

Ah yes, clearly 5124. I think you're right about the binding, when googling 5120 there also came up some pictures of models (so probably 512#) with cream and black binding.

With the guitar in the ad I think they should have gone all the way and put on some silver sparkle binding. Cool project.

That is a weird one indeed, and I don't think it's one of those Aliexpress ones either - those still have the body shape all wrong and weird.

Am I the only one who likes this? Not a 1000 bucks but still...

The blurry image of the back side.... If you look at the neck, there looks like evidence of a headstock break or splice somewhere around the 3rd fret.

The blurry image of the back side.... If you look at the neck, there looks like evidence of a headstock break or splice somewhere around the 3rd fret.

– Tartan Phantom

I was thinking that the body and headstock were refinished and the neck is still the original white. Though a broken headstock would be a good reason to customize it.

Sacha, I kinda like it too!

Reminds me of the Chris Cheney signature. 16" white body with Falcon headstock, "silver" hardware and Filtertron style pickups. Since I'm not the tallest man on earth this size fits me fine.

I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on it, BUT I think it’s pretty cool.

Definitely not a fake Gretsch. It’s just a fake Gretsch White Falcon.

i completely sympathize with the desire-vs.-ability thing re: owning a Falcon, but this seems like a really, really long way around the block.

It‘s charming somehow, but it’s got some ugly details (here: the fit of the TR-cover). Anyway a crazy lot of work and for sure no chinese crap fake. Why a B3?

I think it’s a 5124 as well with a replaced headstock. Tuners aren’t too Falcony.

Headstock is chipped....I'm out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation