Modern Gretsch Guitars

What are your favorite Gretsch fret markers?

What are your favs?

1) Block 2) Hump Block 3) Thumbnail/neo-classic/half moon

I am 3 all the way

1. No question. By a mile. And then some. Classy. Simple. Distinctive.

[EDIT I type a '3' and it posts as '1'. I go to edit, and it shows up as '3'. Anyway, to clarify, I meant number three, the thumbnails/neo-classics/halfmoons. Nothing distinctive about the blocks.]

thumbnails. i don't like the feel of big inlay blocks because they contrast so much with the feel of the wood.

Can't decide, I like them all

Western are my favorites.

– Bob Howard

My bad for not including those in the original post! Yes consider these choice 4

And if I bought a Gretsch with block markers they would have to be those

Western and feathered hump block are my favs.

But i own plain hump block and neo too.

I like split hump block too,ya know,the Synchro type.

And i'm not a fan of the 70's Country Roc inlays..

Cows, Cactus, and Fence Posts are just too much fun...

I can easily understand why Chet, when he got the chance, made a much more sophisticated git using the thumbnails!

Humpblock or Neo, whichever is right for the particular guitar. Not plain blocks. ANY guitar can have that. I like the Gretsch-unique designs.

Except Western. Not that unique, please.

humpblocks!

It’s a toss up for me. I do like the style/simplicity of thumbnail inlays and the practicality of them, they are easy to see from the top.

I do love the inlays on my Penguin... kinda fancy.

I really enjoy the lotus flower inlays on my 2007 White Penguin, my favorite by far, but on your list, the hump block look, I would pick, also they look good on my George Harrison duo jet.

Humpblock or Neo, whichever is right for the particular guitar. Not plain blocks. ANY guitar can have that. I like the Gretsch-unique designs.

Except Western. Not that unique, please.

– Proteus

No Western? What if I said that hump blocks remind me of the Alamo?

Especially the 3rd fret marker...

My favorites are the ones I can see from the side of the neck.

I have always found these, on the G400-JV, to be pretty elegant. I suppose that they are called the "split humpblock" inlays.

As my friend Jayce from Rome, Georgia said to me once, "It don't make no nevermind."

I have blocks on my Duo Jet and they're great.

I'm with Baba Joe. This pic shows off the elegant abalone, not MOP, these guitars came with! Gorgeous shapes as well right up throughout the headstock!....and on the fixed ebony tailpiece, the standard tailpiece that most guitars came with.

I used to only like thumbnails until I got this 6128-57 now I’m on the humpblock wagon all the way.

Register Sign in to join the conversation