Modern Gretsch Guitars

We need to discuss how you guys are going to buy me this

I don't know if you all want to chip in, or if one of you wants to pay for it and the rest can pay him later, but I made this thread so you guys can discuss it and come to an agreement. Just make it snappy.

https://www.rainbowguitars....

I could deal with this, if it's easier. But I still want the falcon, too. If maybe you want to hold off on one until Christmas or something. I guess that would be ok.

https://www.rainbowguitars....

It's a 7.5 hour drive for me to get there. Race you for the Falcon.

Unfortunately Frank let me hold his Rooster last night, I may set my sights else where.

I can be there in about five. I find myself unusually tempted. I guess it's the intrigue of the rosewood, and the knowing that this is probably the only one that'll ever exist. Other custom shop models could theoretically be reproduced (very, very theoretically), but I don't think I've ever seen them do something with rosewood, especially to this extent.

Ditto the old hog, which, now that I have a little experience with, is indeed quite magical. So these aren't just your everyday custom shop stunners, most of which I'd be super happy with. Does rainbow do layaway? I don't think I have enough to interest them to trade toward, though I am looking to move pedals and hardware and stuff. I can't imagine they'd want any of my guitars. Maybe the elitist byrdland?

I've never asked another person to show me their rooster before and I'm not about to start, but I might like you to elaborate? Maybe?

Falcons, Penguins and Roosters...OH MY!

Every one of them just lovely. I don't think you couuld go wrong either way.

Bought one of the KOA Penguins a couple of months ago. Killer guitar. Good luck with the financing. I'm still paying off mine .

I really like the Rosewood Tenny that came out recently, just not so sure about the combination of Rosewood with Falcon bling.

However, to each his own.

I really like the Rosewood Tenny that came out recently, just not so sure about the combination of Rosewood with Falcon bling.

However, to each his own.

– Tartan Phantom

I'm very fond of the Rosewood Tenny too! Proteus resently bought one, and made us all envious. It's on my short list!

It's perhaps a VST (Very Small Thing), but somehow the fact the tuners are not parallel on the headstock manages to be off-putting enough that I just cannot get my brain jumping up and down enough to get truly excited by the thing, much as I love the color and woodgrain.

Sorry- I'll pass, though if someone actually bequeathed it to me, I'd probably learn to work around the pegs.

I'm very fond of the Rosewood Tenny too! Proteus resently bought one, and made us all envious. It's on my short list!

– Wade H

He brought it to the Nashville Roundup... I didn't play it, but in the hands of others it sounded as beautiful as it looks.

I have to say that I never thought I'd go for this sort of thing, either. As falcons go (and gretsches in general) aside from white, I was all about charcoal frost, burgundy mist, sonic blue, sonic grey, shell pink, ocean turquoise, that kinda thing. Something different, kinda unique but that would make total sense for a falcon.

But this is just fascinating in ways I can't explain. It's so... Wooden. And stripey. And maybe it smells good, since it's rosewood, all spicy and maybe even rosey. And that I have no clue what it could possibly sound like, other than assuming it's unlike any other falcon, and I can't even find out because the shop is closed to the public... Somehow just very intrigued.

Since I already have a beloved 6118, I'm not sure there's enough difference between that and the rose tenny to justify it. I thought those were neat in a general sense, but it didn't take hold of me the way this thing does. The got the chrome right, the logo right, even the tortoise is a gamble that seems to have paid off. Most custom shop falcons get something "wrong" in my eyes; horizontal logos, gold sparkle that didn't work, thumbnails, different/wrong colors on the back and headstock, three pickups, etc. I very rarely see a custom shop get so many things right, yet it's unlike anything I've seen and wouldn't have spec'ed it out like this in a million years. That it is divisive makes total sense for a guy like me.

Personally, I kinda like that the tuners follow the curve of the headstock. I hadn't really noticed that before, and wonder if it'll throw me off in person, but it is anatomically correct, I suppose. All the more reason for you guys to buy it for me, so you'll never have to see it again.

Neat rooster, by the by. I was thinking white chicken at first, hence the confusion. Reminds me of a single cut guild Starfire in some ways. And the redwood is interesting, indeed. I know grez uses that a bunch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation