Modern Gretsch Guitars

Was/is there a premium for flame top models?

I see various Gretsch guitars with fancy maple "flame" or "tiger stripe" (or some other descriptor) on Ebay and Reverb and such. They are all gorgeous. Was/is there a $$ premium on these? Or did/does wood like this only come on special models?

It's definitely an upgrade. Even if the guitars are laminate. Flame figure only occurs in about 5% of all maple trees and ridiculously flamed figure without flaws like pin knots, sap pockets, even tight curl, in large pieces is probably more like 1%.

Lucky thing maple as a species isn't rare.

Paid a premium for this one, but when I saw this particular top, it had to come home.

It's basically a LTV 6120, with nickel hardware, and the quilted top. Model number is G6120-59QM-LTD.

Thanks to "Mother Nature" and how the wood is sorted/used, every top is unique. So, some tops are more appealing than others, but it's a personal thing.

Paid a premium for this one, but when I saw this particular top, it had to come home.

It's basically a LTV 6120, with nickel hardware, and the quilted top. Model number is G6120-59QM-LTD.

Thanks to "Mother Nature" and how the wood is sorted/used, every top is unique. So, some tops are more appealing than others, but it's a personal thing.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

A beautiful guitar.

I agree, John. that sure is a pretty guitar. however, I bet your Falcon is lonely. so, I'll pick it up and bring it home next time on way through Missery(Missouri). or did you sell that one to buy this one ?

I have a "thing" for blue guitars, and probably would have pulled the trigger on this one even if it didn't have the quilted top. But seeing the quilted top made this FSR acquisition a no-brainer for me. Having said that, Rocky's price (Streetsounds) was so good I can't say that he got a "premium" for it.

Now THIS one, I did pay a premium for. I was like a moth to this vintage flame!

I agree, John. that sure is a pretty guitar. however, I bet your Falcon is lonely. so, I'll pick it up and bring it home next time on way through Missery(Missouri). or did you sell that one to buy this one ?

– Sgt Rock

Hey Sarg, the Falcon is fat and happy in another members talented hands.

I stuck with my rule....one in and one out. When the QM came home, the Bird had to fly.

Guess that's how much I like that 6120!

Hopefully we can meet up this year at some point, somewhere.

Now THIS one, I did pay a premium for. I was like a moth to this vintage flame!

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, that's a sweetheart. If you ever think of letting that one go, keep me in mind.

Hope that you never call me though. What an instrument.

Got you on speed-dial JD... But don't hold your breath.

Paul Reed Smith is generally credited with starting the big push to highly figured maple tops and inflating the price. It doesn't seem to have been that big a deal with vintage models. I have a book with many Les Paul 58-60 bursts and most don't have much figure at all.

Got you on speed-dial JD... But don't hold your breath.

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, I hear ya. If I was holding my breath, I would be as blue as your avatar gits! LOL

Paul Reed Smith is generally credited with starting the big push to highly figured maple tops and inflating the price. It doesn't seem to have been that big a deal with vintage models. I have a book with many Les Paul 58-60 bursts and most don't have much figure at all.

– drmilktruck

This issue planted the seed for many on how some of the vintage instruments were built. Not a big deal before hand, but I know that it changed what 6120 I wanted, and I still have that issue in my desk drawer!

Not an easy hunt back then. Living in a little town in Nebraska, pre internet days, well, saw a few more cows than guitars, especially a Gretsch of any kind.

There are some amazing guitars in this thread, thanks for posting them (and keep em coming!). I'm slowly getting my Baldwin era T Rose fixed up and convinced I need a second Gretsch. At first I thought I'd pick up something affordable and mod it up but now I'm leaning towards spending the cash to get one with fancy wood (and doesn't require much updating).

.....and convinced I need a second Gretsch?? Second? You've got some catching up to do!

.....and convinced I need a second Gretsch?? Second? You've got some catching up to do!

– Windsordave

That is a true statement!

That is a true statement!

– Mr_Christopher

True UNDERstatement.

I don't know if it's true for other models, but the 6120AM I had - one of the orange-y JF models, had a tinted poly finish, rather than stained wood. In isolation it looked great - the flame was incredible, but put against my 59LTV, and the finish looked disturbingly cloudy.

What is it with these Rocky FSRs? They have to be the best value in new Gretsches (and the only one I have ever purchased) I have seen! Wow. That is awesome.

My FSR Duo Jet definitely leads my Jets in whatever formation they fly - lacquer finish, creamy white, TV Classics, gold hardware, vintage frets, zero fret...

And I kept staring at the price and checking the specs because I couldn't believe it was real.

Kudos to them... you can get a unique Gretsch for a very fair price.

My early-2000s 6120 SSU has tight little flames under the green stain:

(photo credit: my pal David Campbell a/k/a Dumeril7)

=K

I paid more for mine than a standard 6120. It's bloody hard to take a decent picture to show the figuring.

Surely thats tiger stripe not flame?

Surely thats tiger stripe not flame?

– Mr Tubs

It certainly is. This beautiful stripe version is more common and still seen occasionally today on a run whereas the flame top is most famous for a batch of 6120's and one of those certainly has quite a premium today, above the already steep price for one of these.

I just saw this thread so I thought I'd comment a year later:) What do you guys think of Blue Flame...

Register Sign in to join the conversation