Modern Gretsch Guitars

Question About New Streamliner G2420 Volume Pots

When I have both pickups on, if I turn one of the two volumes completely down, the guitar is muted. Is it normal? G2420T Streamliner

No.
If both pickups are on (switch in the middle position) rolling back one of the volume pots should sound the same as switching (the selector switch) to the other pickup.

I have a 1992 6121 and it also completely cuts off the volume if I roll one of the volume pots all the way down with the pickup selector in the middle. You’re saying, that’s not the way it should be?

That's not the way it works on my pro-lines and Electromatics - their pickup volume controls are independent of each other.

But I don't know about Streamliners. They may be wired to be interactive like that (which is the way it works on Gibsons and the like).

Any Streamliner owners able to weigh in here?

(And on a '92 6121...that could also be normal behavior. Out in the general guitar population, out of the Gretsch bunker, I believe more guitars have the interactive scheme where rolling one volume all the way down (with both pickups selected) kills both pickups. Gretschs from the early 90s aren't known for their fidelity to traditional Gretsch practice.)

That's normal for a Gibson, but not for a Gretsch. In the 90's, a bunch of them were wired like a Gibson. To fix that, swap the top and middle leads on the two pickup volume pots. The grounded terminal stayes the same, but the other two are swapped.

OK, mine is brand new...got it last Friday. I will ask for a replacement, just to be sure... then I will post here if something has changed... Thanks

Yep. As billy said ... it’s a Gibson thing . My gibos work that way. I kinda like it

Poti, getting a replacement is a great deal of trouble for both you and the seller. I’d look for another Streamliner owner for comparison, or maybe contact a dealer who’s handled many and knows what’s normal. FMIC Customer Service might be able to answer.

You might preFER one scheme over the other, and as Billy explains you can have it changed if it matters a lot. But there’s nothing inherently WRONG with the Gibsonesque interactive wiring, and if that’s the way Gretsch has done the Streamliners (maybe for behavior more similar to the wider market the line is aimed at), getting a replacement guitar you might not like as well will serve no purpose.

I’d look before I leaped on this one.

Poti, getting a replacement is a great deal of trouble for both you and the seller. I’d look for another Streamliner owner for comparison, or maybe contact a dealer who’s handled many and knows what’s normal. FMIC Customer Service might be able to answer.

You might preFER one scheme over the other, and as Billy explains you can have it changed if it matters a lot. But there’s nothing inherently WRONG with the Gibsonesque interactive wiring, and if that’s the way Gretsch has done the Streamliners (maybe for behavior more similar to the wider market the line is aimed at), getting a replacement guitar you might not like as well will serve no purpose.

I’d look before I leaped on this one.

– Proteus

Hi Proteus I totally agree with you. I have asked th seller but they did not really know. I will call them again and I will also try alternative ways. I do not mind if it is like this, I just want to make sure that it i not faulty. I wonder if thee are no Streamliner owners around...

Does the master volume knob work?

There ARE Streamliner owners here, some who rave about the wonder of the guitars. You should edit the title of your first post in the thread to something like "Question About New Streamliner Volume Pots," and that might attract their attention.

Does the master volume knob work?

– Suprdave

yes, perfectly

There ARE Streamliner owners here, some who rave about the wonder of the guitars. You should edit the title of your first post in the thread to something like "Question About New Streamliner Volume Pots," and that might attract their attention.

– Proteus

Thanks for th suggestion, I do it immediately.

OK, guys, I got the answer: it is a "vintage" wiring and this is the way it is supposed to work (Gibson-like). Please spread the good news and thanks for your support.

Personally I prefer it when the pots are not "ganged"...meaning turning down the volume on one pot kills the sound coming from both pickups ( by grounding the output of both)

You can variably blend the tone coming out of both if they aren't ganged.

I also prefer treble bleed caps on my volume pots so they don't get muddy when you turn down.

And the higher the value of the pot the better. 1Meg please.

You want 500k? Just turn the knob down a bit.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation