Modern Gretsch Guitars

Vintage 55 Chet Atkins

I have ordered a Gretsch G6120T-55GE Vintage Select 1955 Chet Atkins - Western Orange Stain, Bigsby. I want to get a sound like the 1950s rockabilly. Is this guitar a good choice?

ABSOLUTELY!!

Congratulations for your FABULOUS new guitar! I'm (Cadillac) Green with envy....

Welcome to the GDP. Enjoy!

Hells Yeah! Pic's or it didn't happen.

Welcome to our addiction.

Oh yes!

Welcome to the nut house Joe,congrats ,pretty cool geet that!

Fantastic Gretsch 6120. Dare I say the best 6120? Yeah I will. I have owned the 6120-LTV, 6120-DSW, 6120 BSHR, 6120-59VS and the 6120-55 is my favorite. They updated the DSW. More correct headstock inlays, added a nitro finish and TV Jones Pickups. I have mine struck with pure nickle round wound Pyramids.

I picked mine up in July for $1650. A used 2016 model when it was called the 6120-55GE. Best deal I've gotten on a guitar in awhile.

Welcome and congrats on a great guitar!

This clip gives a pretty good idea of the G6120T-55GE's tonal capabilities. You may choose to ignore the portions with over drive/distortion.....

From Gretsch's website post on this guitar....

Does anyone know what song this is??

Love the chord progression....

This clip gives a pretty good idea of the G6120T-55GE's tonal capabilities. You may choose to ignore the portions with over drive/distortion.....

– senojnad

Now if they would just post a video showing a player with stiff fingers, who hits wrong strings with his pick and puts his left fingers on strings where they don't belong ...

Now if they would just post a video showing a player with stiff fingers, who hits wrong strings with his pick and puts his left fingers on strings where they don't belong ...

– joeculver

I share your grief..... Watching Greg K. play often leaves me with an empty feeling that I should quit.....

I share your grief..... Watching Greg K. play often leaves me with an empty feeling that I should quit.....

– senojnad

I agree, he's so ridiculous, its awesome

Hi, I am new here also! I bought this same Chet Atkins guitar last month. I am so glad I did, those TV Jones T-Armonds are like nothing I’ve ever heard before. I think you’ll love it!

I liked those pickups so much that I just bought (today) a G6128T-53! Yipeee!

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Great couple of guitars you've picked up there!

Hi, I am new here also! I bought this same Chet Atkins guitar last month. I am so glad I did, those TV Jones T-Armonds are like nothing I’ve ever heard before. I think you’ll love it!

I liked those pickups so much that I just bought (today) a G6128T-53! Yipeee!

– Wildwood609

Welcome aboard, Wildwood609!

Congratulations on your new '55 Chet -- enjoy! Along with your Duo Jet it sounds like you're off to an excellent start in GretschWorld. Now, for your next Gretsch........

joeculver & Wildwood609 -- Both of you need to post photos! That is a fundamental requirement here.

Here’s a picture of my Duane Eddy (before I sold it), and my Chet atkins.

Here’s a picture of my Duane Eddy (before I sold it), and my Chet atkins.

– Wildwood609

Beautiful!....both of them! I'm curious as to what the Duane model wasn't giving you that the new one does?

Beautiful!....both of them! I'm curious as to what the Duane model wasn't giving you that the new one does?

– Windsordave

Just a guess..... stock pickups vs. T.V.Jones..???

Just a guess..... stock pickups vs. T.V.Jones..???

– senojnad

Bingo. That's exactly it.

The DynaSonics just didn't do it for me after playing the TV Jones. The sounded muddy (to me), in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, the Duane Eddy is a great guitar but, along with the thinner neck, pickups, and the Bigsby a little different, it just was not match for the Chet Atkins.

I was going to just replace the pickups and throw a set of TV Jones in there but, again, I knew that it wouldn't get played as much as my Chet.

Bingo. That's exactly it.

The DynaSonics just didn't do it for me after playing the TV Jones. The sounded muddy (to me), in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, the Duane Eddy is a great guitar but, along with the thinner neck, pickups, and the Bigsby a little different, it just was not match for the Chet Atkins.

I was going to just replace the pickups and throw a set of TV Jones in there but, again, I knew that it wouldn't get played as much as my Chet.

– Wildwood609

Makes perfect sense to me. My 6128TCG DuoJet with stock pickups had a HUGE (IMO) improvement in tones when I upgraded it to Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Dynas.

My 2013 DSW is superb. I put TV Jones T-Armonds in it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation