Modern Gretsch Guitars

Two Penguins are better than one - CS content

I just saw this on FB. I'm a big fan of the Gretsch Custom Shop, but some of their concepts just aren't my taste. Here's an over-top example that I didn't like at first, but I have to admit, it's growing on me!

That is loopy, but I like it. I’d put beefy strings on the 12 and tune it down to sound like an electrified Blind Willie McTell or Leadbelly.

I could see Brian Setzer rocking that double neck for a swing version of “Stairway to Heaven” with the BSO.

It doesn't speak to me personally but I can see why some would love it!

What do you suppose that thing weighs......? About the same as a bag of top soil...?? Or maybe a Gibson Les Paul....??

I think this one actually is really cool!

I usually have mixed feelings about the custom shop. I've just seen too many 3-pickup-and-lots-of-switches-and-over-reliced models passing by. I do like the look of a nice relic but it's so over done that it's refreshing to see a non reliced model every once in a while. The Double neck in the OP is tastefully reliced in my opinion and it suits the guitar very well! And since it has two necks the four pickups are justified haha.

I’m usually a fan of the interesting designs coming out of the custom shop, and this one is no exception. I like interesting. This one is also handy.

I always thought doublenecks were ungainly, ill-proportioned, ergonomically impractical, and often ugly.

Until I owned one.

Now I’m sure of it.

Also, why Gretsch ever used a guitar taking its identity from the fastest flying thing known to man as the basis for one named for a flightless waddling bird I’ll never know.

Q: What's goofier than a flightless waddling bird?
A: Uh, a two-headed flightless waddling bird?

They only need to sell one two-headed flightless waddling bird...now then, prepping to sell a whole flock is a different matter.

I like wondering whether it could have been real, it would go great with the late 50's Stereo King Amp/Cabinets w/legs set up.

Here they go with that tension bar on the bigsby again...

I always believed that double-neck guitars like the Gibson that Jimmy Page played were intended more as stage props than anything else. I saw a local band play an outdoor event last fall and the guitarist had an Epiphone double neck that he used for just one song (not "Stairway to Heaven"...). Think it was "Hotel California", but it totally wasn't necessary... was it?? Hey, he seemed to be having a good time, so....

I always thought doublenecks were ungainly, ill-proportioned, ergonomically impractical, and often ugly.

Until I owned one.

Now I’m sure of it.

Also, why Gretsch ever used a guitar taking its identity from the fastest flying thing known to man as the basis for one named for a flightless waddling bird I’ll never know.

Q: What's goofier than a flightless waddling bird?
A: Uh, a two-headed flightless waddling bird?

– Proteus

Even tho my doubleneck era is over after 5 Danos, and 1 hombrew Epi 6/4, I think they are cool. Bikini doubleneck even off the want list.

Plus don't forget my Imperious Proclamation that my sparkle finish era is over.

Still as far as 6/12 doublenecks I want the 12 neck on the bottom which no one makes and I want a volume control between necks, and Other Tweaky Stuff. So it's a dead issue at this point.

Don Felder does a great solo job with his double neck SG playing Hotel California. I think Don could rock this penguin. I had a double neck Danelectro for a while. It wasn't terribly heavy due to its construction but found it unwieldy and sold it.

I've successfully eradicated 12 strings from my life. Why would I want one permanently glued to a perfectly good 6 string?

Sometimes you just have to roll with it and not ask why?

This was in FB memories from a year ago.

i'm on record as stating that single cut penguins (and jets) are a travesty, but that oddly works better than it should. not that i ever would.

this seems to fall under this category:

Well heck, I like this one too. Classic, if you ask me.

Nope. Not elegant, and Falcons need to be elegant. Like the 20 years after girl trying on the Prom Dress. Too fat.

Nope. Not elegant, and Falcons need to be elegant. Like the 20 years after girl trying on the Prom Dress. Too fat.

– Olivia Anne

Well this one is actually a Penguin (or a pair)... and they ARE a little on the fat side, aren't they?

They have to stay warm somehow

I don't have any use for a 12-string, much less one attached to a six-string. That said, I don't hate it. At least the double cutaway Jet shape lends itself to double-neckdom a whole lot better than these god awful lumps they used to peddle.

Does anybody remember the custom doubleneck Joel Hibbs brought to Nashville? I believe it was a Silver/Blue combo. Gonna have look to see if there is pic of it from past roundup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation