Modern Gretsch Guitars

Tune up time!

After spending a few weeks playing my beloved 1955 Duojet(I love saying that over and over!) and my newish 2012 AVRI 65 Jazzmaster in luxurious aztec gold, I picked up my trusty 2012 6118T in smoke green.I noticed it didn't have the twangy jangle of the two others....After some furious interwebbing I discovered that my Filtertrons were adjusted too low! A quick teardown and some additional shimming soon rectified that. Much better response overall. I adjusted them to the TV Jones suggested height which was at least 1/8in higher than I had them. I didn't realize how much difference that made. Once that was sorted I swapped my SS Truarc bridge for the aluminium one on my ES175 .Total guitar rejuvenation!!! It's funny how you can get used to a guitar sounding the way it is (or an amp perhaps)until you do a little comparison. The Green Gretsch gets the rehearsal call up tonight!

Cool story! Sometimes it takes a while to realize that a guitar is either not setup perfectly or falling away from its optimum setup.

After spending a few weeks playing my beloved 1955 Duojet(I love saying that over and over!) and my newish 2012 AVRI 65 Jazzmaster in luxurious aztec gold, I picked up my trusty 2012 6118T in smoke green.I noticed it didn't have the twangy jangle of the two others....After some furious interwebbing I discovered that my Filtertrons were adjusted too low! A quick teardown and some additional shimming soon rectified that. Much better response overall. I adjusted them to the TV Jones suggested height which was at least 1/8in higher than I had them. I didn't realize how much difference that made. Once that was sorted I swapped my SS Truarc bridge for the aluminium one on my ES175 .Total guitar rejuvenation!!! It's funny how you can get used to a guitar sounding the way it is (or an amp perhaps)until you do a little comparison. The Green Gretsch gets the rehearsal call up tonight!

– GaryE

what were your noticed changes in tone when you switched to the Aluminum?

It had a bit more brightness in the top end with maybe a bit of a drop in low end. I found the SS model to be much more even across the tone spectrum if that makes sense..

It had a bit more brightness in the top end with maybe a bit of a drop in low end. I found the SS model to be much more even across the tone spectrum if that makes sense..

– GaryE

very helpful, thanks!

After a few eye (ear) opening experiences like the OP, I tweak pickups (poles and height) as soon as a new guitar arrives. The difference is like mono to stereo.

Imagine all the players that don't tweak, and either live in black and white or think their guitar is a dud. A few years back I a used '73 6770 Nashville, blacktop Filter'Tron pickups never adjusted and it sounded dead. I put some mouse pad under the pickups and adjusted the poles to some Great Gretsch Sound! Amazing, really.

Register Sign in to join the conversation