Modern Gretsch Guitars

Trade?: Brian Setzer 6120 for Tim Armstrong 5191BK?

So I would sell the 6120 and look for a used TA. I don't think a straight trade is such a good idea unless you need a guitar right now.

I've seen current G6120's go as low as $1350 (not too often) and have seen a few at $1800 so your preFMIC for $1400 is not too bad.

These days, when you buy a Gretsch new and then try to sell it used, you're going to take a pretty big hit.

– bluenote23

So I would sell the 6120 and look for a used TA. I don't think a straight trade is such a good idea unless you need a guitar right now.

I've seen current G6120's go as low as $1350 (not too often) and have seen a few at $1800 so your preFMIC for $1400 is not too bad.

These days, when you buy a Gretsch new and then try to sell it used, you're going to take a pretty big hit.

– bluenote23

This was the idea - I apologize if I wasn't clear in explaining the situation, but I wouldn't actually be "trading" somebody/someplace my Setzer for their TA. I just look at it as "swapping" because I would be using the money I get by selling my Setzer to turn around and purchase a TA right away (or not right away, depending on how long it takes to find one for the right price).

The '59LTV has different specs than the SSLVO.

If it were me, I'd just save up for some TV Jones pickups, get it set up, and keep it. You honestly shouldn't worry about if a guitar is too much for you or equals your skill or whatever. Just play what you like.

I would also call our sponsors like Shanghai and see how much these cost from them. It's truly shocking what the difference from them and what's advertised on the Internet.

One quick addition- I assume you've played a TA, but it definitely has a different feel. Might be good to try to borrow one For a few days (or use GC's 30 - day guarantee) to make sure the TA is the guitar that you'd love before selling the Setzer.

While I agree that no guitar should be "too much" for you (by pure talent, you could argue I don't deserve my 5122), if you don't enjoy playing it, then by all means find a guitar that gets you excited to play again.

Guitars are cr@ppy investments, so find the one that's going to make you want to pick it up every day.

(Takes his "fake" Setzer guitar and goes home)

The 5191BK has a shorter neck than a 6120. I wonder what the fret spaces are like up the neck...say 9,10, 11, 12 and 13th fret??

I'm trying to decide on a new guitar and am waiting for a Holy Cow kinda deal....I just ain't sure how long I can wait. Tried a DSW from Streetsounds, not me so I sent it back. I think the 6120-59 has a zero nut..is that an issue?

just speaking for myself a $350 loss is a lot.

and i did read what you said about not trading it straight across so i guess you can disregard my last post.

I think the 6120-59 has a zero nut..is that an issue?

No.

Keep in mind you are talking about trading a pro-Gretsch model (regardless of year) and an electromatic model (which are also fine guitars). Your BS model may have not held its value, but there was a time someone paid 2k+ for that model. And despite the changes in the model over the years, you are still sitting on one fine guitar with a lot of potential.
My Pre-Fender models hold their place with my Fender era guitars. Regardless of era, and specs, I still mod these guitars to my personal specs.

Before you write off your guitar and sell it, consider what you can do to improve what you already got. If its a pro model, it may be worth your time. Just my two cents.

please keep your brian setzer......

Have you had a chance to play a TA? I was dead set that that was going to be my first hollow body and my next gretsch. Had a chance to play one and it was in no way something special. I have only played a few proline gretsches but they all felt like a proline and were special. Just make sure u play a TA before u sell ur guitar.

Keep in mind you are talking about trading a pro-Gretsch model (regardless of year) and an electromatic model (which are also fine guitars). Your BS model may have not held its value, but there was a time someone paid 2k+ for that model. And despite the changes in the model over the years, you are still sitting on one fine guitar with a lot of potential.
My Pre-Fender models hold their place with my Fender era guitars. Regardless of era, and specs, I still mod these guitars to my personal specs.

Before you write off your guitar and sell it, consider what you can do to improve what you already got. If its a pro model, it may be worth your time. Just my two cents.

– SecretAgent138

– Secret Agent Man

Two of the three things that I "do not like" about my current Setzer are not able to be changed - trestle bracing and the Orange Lacquer finish... :(

Have you had a chance to play a TA? I was dead set that that was going to be my first hollow body and my next gretsch. Had a chance to play one and it was in no way something special. I have only played a few proline gretsches but they all felt like a proline and were special. Just make sure u play a TA before u sell ur guitar.

– Aaron

– Aaron

Yes I have.

I think the question I have is more and more becoming "AFTER I sell my pre-FMIC Setzer, what should I do with the money?" I have come to the point where I have read all the responses, weighed them out with my own feelings, and still think it is time to move on. There are just things about my guitar that I am unsatisfied with, and I cannot change them to make it "better" in that sense.

The dilemma still stands between doing an "even swap" for the TA and adding a Bigsby, or putting my $1,400 towards the ~$2,800 price tag of a newer, FMIC-era Setzer Signature...

The reasons you mentioned for not liking your Setzer are in fact deal breakers and you should sell it.

There are a lot of guitars you can get for $1,300 - 1,500, Gretsch or non-Gretsch, new or used. I personally prefer Gretsch!

I recently bought my first Pro-line Gretsch guitar and I did a lot of searching, shopping and playing before I decided what I really wanted. I held on to what I had before I made up my mind for sure. If you are really sure you want a Tim Armstrong model then go for it. If you just want one in the meantime I would suggest saving up for what you really want. The desire for your ultimate guitar will not go away. Nothing else will satisfy it until you get it.

I am not the least bit disappointed with my TA Sig. I sold my 1999 Annie about a month after i got the 5191. It didn't make sense for me to keep the more valuable guitar if it didn't sound and play better. You should be able to get enough for your Setzer 6120 to pick up a getnly used 5191 and a B6 and maybe a new bridge and a few sets of strings.

TASIGwithBIGSBY

– Likeabrave

I am not the least bit disappointed with my TA Sig. I sold my 1999 Annie about a month after i got the 5191. It didn't make sense for me to keep the more valuable guitar if it didn't sound and play better. You should be able to get enough for your Setzer 6120 to pick up a getnly used 5191 and a B6 and maybe a new bridge and a few sets of strings.

TASIGwithBIGSBY

– Likeabrave

Really cool looking guitar, by the way made in China is not synonym of bad product today, Apple Computers top class computer components are made in China by example also Pro Tools DSP cards are made in China, i owned a Setzer 6120 made in Terrada and sold it because the guitar was really bad finished, bad bridge, bad tuning, bad neck and frets finish, bad tuners, no ways to rest in tune more than five minutes of playing, really overpriced guitar and overvalued factory at least it is my experience, i know paying a good set up after buying the 6120 i would get a great guitar but 3000 euros + the need of setting up all the mentioned above makes me think like this, in another hand i love Custom Shops Made in USA and can´t judge if they are overpriced or not i get my BZ6129 for 3000 euros buy in USA import fees included and that really another story, some tuning problems too but with a minor set up it is really a very great guitar

– Secret Agent Man

Two of the three things that I "do not like" about my current Setzer are not able to be changed - trestle bracing and the Orange Lacquer finish... :(

– kevin reny

– Secret Agent Man

– ktrainhurricane

something to keep in mind and it's just my opinion. I see neither being a deal breaker. trestle bracing verses I am assuming 5 ply top not the 3 ply now offered. I have found its pretty much an even trade off. the stiffness on the 5 ply while different gets the same type of result as trestle braced. I find that a non factor. Using the wood that they use nowadays lacquer vs. poly is a null and void argument. Once upon a time when the wood used was denser it made sense now its more fodder for internet bullshit theorists. If you think you would have more drastic results it would only be if you bought a true 59. Btw you get none of these going to a Tim Armstrong.

If I were to give out free advice which I am not. This will cost you $100.00. Sell off your 97 and buy Mac's Anniversary LTV. For $200 more then then 1400 number you throw out there you get your lacquered finish you get you trestles and a hell of a lot more guitar then the TA. Not that there's anything wrong. with a TA a fine guitar it is still just saying........

Mac's 6118 does feature everything you want. Lacquer finish, trestle bracing, TV Jones pickups, and a more toned-down look.

Mac's 6118 would be in my hands if i had the cash. A 2-tone green Annie with Tvs was my second choice.

Not often but some days I make sense!

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

FWIW, I like the Lacquer finish because I think it looks cooler, and I like the way it wears over time...not necessarily because I think there is some "advantage" it may give. As far as the trestle bracing/3-ply/5-ply top stuff goes, I look at it this way: Setzer's '59 has trestle bracing; therefore, the "signature" model of his that I own is incorrect (in my eyes). The same thing goes for the lacquer finish - if I am going to own an artist's signature model, I feel that it should be an accurate replication of the original. It may be dumb reasoning, but it's just the way I am and I have accepted it. This also relates to my thoughts on the Hot Rod, which I previously mentioned...

Once I figure out how to navigate this forum, I will take a look at Mac's guitar that many of you mentioned. Thanks for the heads-up as far as that's concerned!

Well, my pre-FMIC Setzer Gretsch has been SOLD! It was MUCH harder to let it go than I expected, despite the things I said I didn't like about it. It had it for several years, and it has been my ONLY guitar for long periods of time. Hopefully, this will just be insurance that I will fall in love with whatever I choose to do next, especially if it ends up being a FMIC-era Setzer.

But that leaves me with the decision to make!

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

FWIW, I like the Lacquer finish because I think it looks cooler, and I like the way it wears over time...not necessarily because I think there is some "advantage" it may give. As far as the trestle bracing/3-ply/5-ply top stuff goes, I look at it this way: Setzer's '59 has trestle bracing; therefore, the "signature" model of his that I own is incorrect (in my eyes). The same thing goes for the lacquer finish - if I am going to own an artist's signature model, I feel that it should be an accurate replication of the original. It may be dumb reasoning, but it's just the way I am and I have accepted it. This also relates to my thoughts on the Hot Rod, which I previously mentioned...

Once I figure out how to navigate this forum, I will take a look at Mac's guitar that many of you mentioned. Thanks for the heads-up as far as that's concerned!

– kevin reny

ktrainhurricane said "I look at it this way: Setzer's '59 has trestle bracing; therefore, the "signature" model of his that I own is incorrect (in my eyes). The same thing goes for the lacquer finish - if I am going to own an artist's signature model, I feel that it should be an accurate replication of the original. It may be dumb reasoning, but it's just the way I am and I have accepted it. "

being geeked out on Setzer's rig.. I've owned 2 SSU's, 1 SSL, and 1 SSLVO.. none of them feel like his 59' . They're not going to because he has Tom Jones pull the stock frets out of his gretsches and put in dunlop stainless steel frets and custom shape them. (the interviews say "he takes a little off the top of the 6105 SS dunlop frets recrowns them and puts nice bulbous ends on each one).

After my moment of getting to play Brian's 59' I went apesh$t trying to figure out how to get my hands on a real 59' but realized I would STILL have to change the vintage guitar to Brian's custom standard which even includes a sharper angle on the nut for a minimum of contact/hang up. When I came to grips with reality, I instead turned to Paul Waller at Fender Custom shop to give me "the setzer fretworks" and he did a fantastic job on my 99' SSU. Its not the same instrument, it has that alive sound that Brians does and the frets feel fast and they sustain longer that the stock ones that were on it. The guitar sounds and feels different with the "Setzer" fretboard, its brighter and playing is faster, my SSU is a different instrument than before the real Setzer upgrade.

..and yes through the years of seeing Mr Brian play with the Orchestra, the Hotrods get the favor despite the recorded concerts on DVD where he will stick to the 59'.

at this place you could say "so whats your point" and I would sheepishly say I heard setzer's name and came runnin :)

^Haha well I appreciate your input. I of course DO understand that NO guitar I ever play/own will be "just like Brian's," but that isn't necessarily what I was going for anyway.

My quote was saying that "the "signature" model of his that I own is incorrect," no more, no less. I just think that if I am going to own a "Signature" model I want it to be as close of a "replica" as possible to the original, even though it is highly unrealistic that the two will ever be EXACTLY the same - what they CAN be, though, is close...to an extent.

Then again, there is no real reason that I MUST have a guitar that is exactly like Brian Setzer's. I am heavily considering the 1959LTV!

It almost sounds like the 'Setzer Hot Rod isn't doing it for you. I understand that. It didn't do it for me either. As much as I liked my Annie, it just didn't do it for me, like a Country Club does. Hence, my reason for trading my Annie towards a Country Club, in spite of taking a hit on its value (you never come out as well on a trade, as you do, when you sell a guitar outright). If you feel the same way about a TA, that I feel about Country Clubs, the go for it, otherwise, try to get your hands on one first to try it out, and make sure that it really is for you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation