Modern Gretsch Guitars

Thoughts on NOS 6120-1959LTV versus current Vintage Select edition….

My favorite local shop has a 2012 unsold 6120-1959LTV that I’ve drooled over for years and I’m thinking of making a deal, but I wanted some opinions on this prior model versus Gretsch’s current vintage select edition. The price is comparable to some of the vintage select models listed online. I’ve never owned a trestle braced 6120 but once had a 2005 fully hollow soundpost 6120-1960 that had TV classics.

First of all, you should be getting some kind of deal on a NOS '12 guitar and not paying the same as a new Vintage Select '59. As far as differences between the NOS '59 LTV and the current Vintage Select....not much. The Vintage Select appears to have all nickel plated hardware, while the '59 LTV has a mix of nickel plated and gold. The only difference I can see of any significance is the neck profile shape: the '59 LTV has a U shaped neck while the Vintage Select has a "Soft V" (probably very similar to a Setzer model). Both would be great guitars and check off all the boxes when it comes to a Filter Gretsch. The only thing that could potentially be a problem on either guitar is if the bar bridges are a radius mismatch with the fingerboard (I don't know if Gretsch has corrected it now, but the stock bar bridges tended to have a radius of 16"-20" while the fingerboards are 12"). Of course, that issue is easily fixed with a Tru Arc.

I had a '12 LTV, and it was probably one of the best Gretsches that I've ever owned.

Love the Vintage "V" neck, and prefer it over the standard "U". Build quality was flawless.

I would expect the unit that you're looking at to have a very reasonable discount though.

If they won't deal, that's probably why they still have it.

Best of luck on getting an outstanding guitar.

I'd look long and hard at the LTV, especially if there is a deal. The couple I have played have been as nice as any guitar I've ever played. I'm wondering if there is a difference in fret size. Good luck!!!

The small vintage frets, that was the only thing that made me look twice. Could probably get used to them for sure, but am used to bigger. However the LTV's I played just sounded great.

Thanks for the feedback, y’all. He has the LTV priced at $2800 and I have a 2015 Gibson ES-335 1963 50th anniversary reissue on consignment already which I may trade for it. I purchased the Gibson from him a few years ago, so I’m pretty sure we’ll work something out that is fair.

The price is why he still has the LTV. It must be his favorite guitar. Or maybe he's never heard of inventory turn. I worked for a dealer who was so proud of everything in the store that you'd fight tooth and nail for a 10% discount. He went out of business in the early 90s.

Back in the day there was a great independent shop in Philly, Cintioli's Music, that carried all the big brands and always had great deals. What the owner of the shop would do is if they got in four new Strats or Les Pauls or whatever, they would put three of the four out on display and one would get stashed in the basement storage and forgotten about (there were guitars allegedly down there that didn't see the light of day for years). If you came into the shop looking for something but it was out of your budget and the owner, Benny Cintioli liked you, he would tell the sales guy to go down the basement and get blah, blah, blah and he would emerge with a NOS version of what you were looking for at a significant discount and the customer would walk out of there happy, Benny would make his money and undercut the other shops.

The price is why he still has the LTV. It must be his favorite guitar. Or maybe he's never heard of inventory turn. I worked for a dealer who was so proud of everything in the store that you'd fight tooth and nail for a 10% discount. He went out of business in the early 90s.

– Proteus

Which begs the question, what would be a fair price for an unsold 2012 model 6120-1959LTV? This shop has been in business in Austin for ages and is one of the best higher end shops in town and the owner has always treated me fairly, but I admit, his prices are a little high.

This is used, in 'good' condition, but the price is 1599.00. I've never done it but understand that you can have a used Guitar Center Guitar delivered to your local Guitar Center, try it out there, and if you don't like it, walk away (I think you have to pay shipping). Anyway, this might give some perspective on pricing https://www.guitarcenter.co...

Which begs the question, what would be a fair price for an unsold 2012 model 6120-1959LTV? This shop has been in business in Austin for ages and is one of the best higher end shops in town and the owner has always treated me fairly, but I admit, his prices are a little high.

– Beatlebacker

7 year old NOS LTV.

My thinking is around $2200-2300 if it's in perfect condition.

I decided to go for it! Worked out a fair trade and just brought it home. I love it and the neck is sublime.

Beautiful. I can smell the laquer from these pics! Lol

The necks on these are special indeed.

Congrats

Congrats!!!! Great guitar, (and dog!)

Yep. Congrats! Love the dog. What a face !

Very, very beautiful. Killer guitar! I bet you're over the moon with it. What's the width at the nut, if I may ask?

Very, very beautiful. Killer guitar! I bet you're over the moon with it. What's the width at the nut, if I may ask?

– Limuz

The nut width is 1-11/16" and the neck profile is a slim V.

I have a 2006 6120-59 LTV. It is one of my favorite guitars. I only recently paid attention to why I keep going back to it and I think it is the V neck - very comfortable. I also love the sound of the TV Classics with the zero fret and a copper Tru-Arc bridge.

Sometimes you might not get "the best possible price" according to others etc but you just gotta do what is right for you. If you really like the guitar and the deal works for you just do it. There is more to life than money. (did I just say that??)

My '14 6120 SSLVO isn't getting as much play as it used to right now but it is still one of the best guitars I have ever owned. It's very similar to the '59. I think the '59 6120 is about as beautiful as a guitar gets in that style. They are surprisingly versatile too - I have used mine for blues, rockabilly, swampy rock, almost punk rock and Brit-pop style music. A 6120 can cut through but still sound fat. It's the best of all worlds for me!

Sometimes you might not get "the best possible price" according to others etc but you just gotta do what is right for you. If you really like the guitar and the deal works for you just do it. There is more to life than money. (did I just say that??)

My '14 6120 SSLVO isn't getting as much play as it used to right now but it is still one of the best guitars I have ever owned. It's very similar to the '59. I think the '59 6120 is about as beautiful as a guitar gets in that style. They are surprisingly versatile too - I have used mine for blues, rockabilly, swampy rock, almost punk rock and Brit-pop style music. A 6120 can cut through but still sound fat. It's the best of all worlds for me!

– JimmyR

Thanks, Jimmy. I agree it worked out well in the end and I’ve finally got a nitro finish and trestle braced Gretsch of my dreams. I currently have four Gretsch guitars. This 6120LTV, a long scale open f-hole Tennessee Rose with HS filters, an early 1964 Country Gent with stock Imperials and Supertron neck pickup, and a natural finished 2006 Country Classic double cut with TV Jones supertrons. Loves me some Gretsches!

Man, she's gorgeous. congrats!

Question...Do all recent 59 LTV's say since 2013 have V neck shapes?

Register Sign in to join the conversation