Modern Gretsch Guitars

Thinking of buying a 2011 Silver Falcon!?

Im hooked I admit it. My 6118T is fantastic! But now I found one of these in great condition and for a great price:

My only concern is the bridge? These have not the pinned bridge I guess? Is there any issues when the bridge is not pinned? Will it move around very easy?

Im not gonna sell My "Annie" Im just adding another one...

In my 6118T theres the ML-bracing and the Silver Falcon has the Trestle as I understand? Any big difference when cranking the Marshall with the Silver Falcon U think?

I thought the whole appeal of trestle bracing was that you could play at much higher volume without getting into the feeedback zone that hollowbodies are known for.

Put it through the Marshall and post it!

Im hooked I admit it. My 6118T is fantastic! But now I found one of these in great condition and for a great price:

My only concern is the bridge? These have not the pinned bridge I guess? Is there any issues when the bridge is not pinned? Will it move around very easy?

Im not gonna sell My "Annie" Im just adding another one...

In my 6118T theres the ML-bracing and the Silver Falcon has the Trestle as I understand? Any big difference when cranking the Marshall with the Silver Falcon U think?

– LabLord

Congrats on a very nice, very pretty guitar! There are only two real reasons the bridge/base may move on you, the most notable being that the base isn't contoured precisely to the top. The other factor that may come into play is if you're using very light strings, as their tension may not provide enough downforce. If the base isn't contoured properly and you use strings lighter than 10's it'll no doubt move on you with the slightest tap or even strong string bending.

I suggest using a thin piece of paper and check the ends of the base and see if you can get it under the base. If you can, you need to address this, even if you decide to pin it. I pin all my floating bridges but the best alternative if you don't care to do this is to apply a bit of bow resin under each foot. Holds firmly and isn't a mod.

Regarding string gauge, Im using 10-46, would that cause any problems with the bridge?

Regarding string gauge, Im using 10-46, would that cause any problems with the bridge?

– LabLord

I use the same gauge on my Duo Jet with a floating bridge.

You shouldn't have any issues, unless your dive bombing but you probably knew that the Bigsby's weren't designed to do that. I wouldn't borrow trouble till you have issues. Likely, all will be fine. Play with confidence. They are such nice guitars.

Just let your bridge float. That is what these guitars were designed for. It is also part of the charm of Gretsch guitars. If you or your local guitar store incorrectly pin the bridge, then you have made matters worse. Locating the proper bridge location is no big deal. Once there, it shouldn't move unless you attack it like a brick with your strumming hand. Forget about it as an issue and just enjoy the guitar.

I have a 2012 Silver Falcon and absolutely love it. The floating bridge has never been an issue for me (though I dropped on a Compton). I also use 10 gauge strings. I gig only a half dozen times a year, and had some feedback issues when in tight quarters, and at end-of-the-night volume. I bought Doug's Plugs and they work. I find them a pain to put in and out.

An emotional draw for me was that one of my favourite artists plays one: Mikel Jollett of the Airborne Toxic Event. I saved the pic attached below where you can see he has gaffer tape over the f holes (to battle feedback). It works great. He doesn't seem to need it all the time.

George Benson uses clear cellophane tape over his f holes.

– LabLord

That's the gauge I use and until I had the bridge pinned - facilitates string changes - it wasn't any issue. As Ric12 says, enjoy your guitar and don't look for troubles from the bridge. If it does dislodge, the contouring is most likely the culprit and an easy fix.

So is this model more problematic regarding feedback than my 6118T, on higher volumes?

Bigger body: more volume of air, more possibility of body-resonance feedback.

Trestle bracing: stiffer top, less possibility of body-resonance feedback.

Between those two particular guitars, the Falcon may be slightly more feedback-prone. Not much. And part of the reason for getting a 17" guitar is to get greater body resonance and "bigger" tone in the first place.

Learning to ride it goes with the quite rewarding territory. And with trestles, it's not like it's going to be a wide-open howling beast. (Plenty of guys manage those at high volume, too.)

These things are subjective, in that none of us know what kind of feedback you mean (body resonance/woofing/howling, pickup microphonics or frequency-specific and node-sensitive), none of us know how you set up your amp/eq/effects, none of us know exactly how loud you play, none of us know where you stand in relationship to the amp, and none of us know what your strumming/picking/string damping techniques are.

So, of necessity, we're all answering based on our (all likely different) experiences in the situations we remember - which may or may not correspond to yours.

You may be worrying too much.

Well, with my 6118T i got no squeling or howling, just controllable feedback when I want it. And Im playing loud on a Marshall JCM900 MKIII with a fair amount of distorsion.

You'll be fine.

– Proteus

Great!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation