Modern Gretsch Guitars

Thinking about a Jet

This forum helped me find my first Gretsch, a beautiful 6122-1959. It’s also made me take notice of the many and varied Jets. If I had to describe my playing, I’d say I’m an amateur Wilco... I vary somewhere between traditional country and noisy rock.

I’ve noticed a few guitars locally at decent prices, so here’s the question. Beyond the above guitar, which of these would you recommend as a second Gretsch:

1) a silver jet with dynos. This seems to be a logical next step. Different body different pickups.

2) a two-pickup Malcolm Young model. I live the double cutaway, but no Bigsby.

3) a 6120 CGP. A real wild card, but there’s one for sale locally at a good price. Similar in many ways to my 6122 and I’d never use the stereo mode, but I love an orange Gretsch.

What would you folks recommend?

The Dyna Jet would provide the most tonal contrast to your 6122, so if tonal variety is important to you, that could be an excellent way to go. If the MY model's double cutaway and lack of a Bigsby are appealing, that could be good too. Some players HAVE to have a Bigsby --- if that's you, than the MY could be less appealing than the Dyna Jet, since you'd have to modify it to make it what you want.

As you pointed out, the 6120 CGP would be the closest to your 6122, but for some players, the color is enough of a factor to overrule other considerations. You're the one who will be playing them, so ultimately you'll need to evaluate how important each of the factors is to you --- body size, pickup type, Bigsby or lack thereof, finish, etc.

If I were in your shoes, with a 6122 playing "traditional country to noisy rock," I'd be leaning hard toward the silver jet with Dynas. It is a very versatile guitar and would easily cover that territory in a most satisfying way, and between the two guitars, you'd have a very broad tonal palette to work with. But again, you're the one whose ears, eyes and fingers have to be happy. You're lucky that they're all local --- I'd recommend trying them all out and see which one speaks to you the most.

Without question, the Dyna Jet.

Change your life.

Without question, the Dyna Jet.

Change your life.

– Proteus

Truth. Changed mine. Hear hear.

If you’re a big Chet fan, maybe the CGP, especially if you can get a good deal and satisfy that itch. Otherwise I would probably go with the Dyna Jet for the diversity. I say this as someone who also has and loves a 6122-1959 and who prefers Filters over Dynas but believes that diversity is a good thing.

If you’re a big Chet fan, maybe the CGP, especially if you can get a good deal and satisfy that itch. Otherwise I would probably go with the Dyna Jet for the diversity. I say this as someone who also has and loves a 6122-1959 and who prefers Filters over Dynas but believes that diversity is a good thing.

– Baba Joe

How can you not be a Chet fan... However, I have no foolish aspirations to ever try to play like him.

Where's that CGP for sale Jason? I don't want one, just curious about it and the price as they're fairly rare, and in particular in Canada.

As for a Gretsch but without the "Great Gretsch Sound" and does come in the beautiful Gretsch orange, there's always the Super Axe with DiMarzio pups. Mine is Chet's prototype but would cost over twice the usual reasonable asking price for one of these....just because.

I think the MYII would complement best what you already have.

I am ALWAYS thinking about getting a DynaJet. And I would have one but for the huge expense. Is it just me,or is everything on Reverb way overpriced? For instance,occasionally a Jet will be offered for sale here in our comfy GDP,for prices that are almost do-able. Reverb not so much. Oops ,got off topic at the mere mention of Gretsch Duo-Jets.... To help with the posters question: A Dynasonic DuoJet would be my choice for sure.Especially the one Buddy has.

Well Dyna Jets are nice but if you want to play alt.coutry and noisy rock I might suggest a Jet with Filter'trons. The double cut Jets can be found for a good price often and if they are good enough for Neil Finn they should suit what you are doing!

I have owned Dyna and Filter Jets - for me always single cut - and I like the Filters better for anything using a little overdrive. Dynas can sound gorgeous but for me take a bit more adjustment to use. By that I mean adjustment by me, not the guitar!

Nowadays thanks to TV Jones you can of course change a Dyna Jet to Filers and vice versa, so don't get too hung up on it. And a double cut Jet will let you channel your inner Malcolm Young as well as being a solid country guitar.

Well that Jet was first in my mind, but it sold. I think what is really like is a double cut Firebird with Bigsby. Malcolm Young guit is close, but no cigar.

Dave - check Toronto Kijiji for the CGP.

Register Sign in to join the conversation