Modern Gretsch Guitars

The Product Announcement I’d Like to See from Gretsch

A Rambler reissue! The one with the florentine cut!

– Mike2000

Man, don’t I wish. Every time drmilktruck has let a Rambler go, I haven’t had the scratch

My request is simple: Restore the 6128-T-DCM to the Gretsch lineup. That's all.

– Timthom62

Yes Please!

Bring back the Dyna Clubs i say,caddy green and natural with spruce tops please.

Or even an Electro II reissue in natural.

– JCHiggy

YES!! If they do a Streamliner or Electro version of a CC with natural spruce (or maple) top I will pull the trigger. Quickly!

As long as we're wishing, I'd love to see a thinline 6120 w/ trestle bracing. Would be a 335 killer. Sometimes I think about sending my LTV to Curt for a thinline conversion. Just slice an inch right out the middle... I'm not really using all that thickness.

I'd love to see a thinline 6120 w/ trestle bracing. Would be a 335 killer.

But...aren't the centerblocks intended to be the 335-killers? I agree that trestles would have been a Gretschier way to build that craft (though without comparing the two builds, I can't be sure) - but I think the ship has already sailed.

But...aren't the centerblocks intended to be the 335-killers? I agree that trestles would have been a Gretschier way to build that craft (though without comparing the two builds, I can't be sure) - but I think the ship has already sailed.

– Proteus

Well, sure. But trestles would have been a Gretschier way to do it. Lighter too.

I don't pretend to know what's the most marketable, only what I want personally. Trestles or not, more thinline single-cuts is my wish. Something like the single pickup Tenny, with a thinner body, would be a rock n roll machine. Trestles would help with feedback, and again, lighter and more Gretsch-appropriate than a center block.

I thought this was a "product announcement I'd like to see" thread.

I don't know, they keep getting rid of the mud switch, so it's pretty clear the Gretsch R&D department doesn't agree with me.

Seems like Gretsch wants to erase history.

Just pokin’ my nose in as the lone schmuck who’d buy a 5422 6/12 doubleneck. (Betcha can’t guess what colors of body and hardware, were it up to I.)

Pullin’ my head back out the door now.

PEARL DYNA JET WITH SCRIPTY HEADSTOCK AND HUMP BLOCK INLAYS!!!!!

– crowbone

Keep getting this answer...

I would love for Gretsch to design a Jet style guitar that is fully hollow like a Guild Aristocrat.

I would love for Gretsch to design a Jet style guitar that is fully hollow like a Guild Aristocrat.

Yeahman! Available with choice of pickup - Dynasonic, Filter'Tron, P90. And maybe in the Electromatic range.

But I fear "hollower" is not a direction Gretsch is heading these days.

– Proteus

not so fast with that ship!! haha

as i mentioned in the cc thread, collings who is a currently a big player in the big money guitar game is using trestle bracing on their statesman series of guitars...

solid center block is much more invasive (on acoustic response) than trestle...and heavier!

gretsch had it right

cheers

17" Electromatics and Streamliners. Maybe a double-cut thinline, but for sure a deep singlecut.

Just saying. Again.

– Proteus

Yes, and hopefully they'll borrow my 17" Synchromatic to use as the template...

You all know what I'd like Gretsch to make (but I doubt that it will happen) - another 7-string.

Yeahman! Available with choice of pickup - Dynasonic, Filter'Tron, P90. And maybe in the Electromatic range.

But I fear "hollower" is not a direction Gretsch is heading these days.

– Proteus

They would sell at least 2 of them!

The announcement I'd like to hear is "Tubsy whats your address we want to send you one of these". . .

What I really want is a hollow Jet with a TV Jones Power'Tron in the bridge and a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck, both wired to 1 meg pots. I think I would be able to sell all of my other guitars if I had a guitar built like that. I hear the sound in my head but there is no guitar to match it.

I wish Gretsch would issue a "Dark Eyes" clone or a "Streamliner Special" like the first one they sent Chet Atkins.

I so comfortable with 16" X 2 1/2" bodies that I wouldn't have it any other way. My guitar wish is: 6118T with tone pot circuit, trestle braced, bone nut, TV Hilo'trons (Filters might be OK), ebony fingerboard, vintage style Gotoh tuners, and...wait for it.....smoke gray top with metallic back and sides, like that CC they released a number of years ago.

I so comfortable with 16" X 2 1/2" bodies that I wouldn't have it any other way. My guitar wish is: 6118T with tone pot circuit, trestle braced, bone nut, TV Hilo'trons (Filters might be OK), ebony fingerboard, vintage style Gotoh tuners, and...wait for it.....smoke gray top with metallic back and sides, like that CC they released a number of years ago.

– Journeyman

Not exact, but maybe closes enough? Check out Streetsounds for a G6118T- LIV.

Not exact, but maybe closes enough? Check out Streetsounds for a G6118T- LIV.

– Baba Joe

Close, but the 2 1/4" depth is not to my taste. The new 135th 6118T is almost there, but I vacillate between liking and disliking the colour. If the 6118T- VS didn't have the neck pickup set back an inch, I'd have one. So, I'll have to wait.

Anyone else want a smoke gray/metallic violet 6118T? Apparently 16 yes's and it's a go.

I'd buy your dream 6118, Journeyman, if they made a left-handed one for me. Hell, I'd buy two just to encourage them to make more.

I also second Proteus's 17" Electromatic ideas, especially the thinline doublecut. Then again, I would like that, wouldn't I?

A 17" Electromatic does exist: the Tim Armstrong model. Probably not what you have in mind, though, Proteus. That uglyass Baldwin body shape just ruins everything, doesn't it?

Paul/FF909

That uglyass Baldwin body shape just ruins everything, doesn't it?

That's not so bad in and of itself. Given enough time, I might get used to it. Likewise the headstock.

But flat black ainagonna fly; it might be a good undercoat for Curtification in the coleur de choix, but that adds expense - which is the whole idea an Electromatic or Streamliner is not about.

Likewise the big honkin' metal pickup surrounds yuck ptui...and blacktops themselves, while we're at it. I've tried and tried, but up they don't light me. That would be more replacing.

Which brings us to the tailpiece, which as a piece of vaguely art nouveau-inspired shop class improvisation isn't terrible - and would be replaced with a Bigs anyway (more expense). But if it just couldn't have a Bigs from the factory, a G-cut or Frequensator (did Gretsch ever?) would be more comely.

ANYway, what I'm suggesting is something more conventionally Country Clubby, plus something Genty...plus, the piece de resistance, the creme de la creamy le plus non ultra proud flagship of such a proposed line should be a Lectromatic based on none other than the one-off Paul Pigat model of ever so many years ago. He wouldn't mind it seeing light of day as something affordable.

NOT FORGETTING that this line should have something like Dynasonics. I know the first go-round of Electros had the 2Ks, and that line was hardly rejected by the market. But they were all 16" (not that that's a bad thing), and they were a long time ago, and the Electro and even Stream lines have seen myriad build refinements since. I say it's time again.

The down-market doesn't want full-hollow big-bodies in both deep and shallow formats, with single coils and floating bridges? I submit that the down-market may not know if it wants them or not, because there's been nothing similar on offer for a mighty long time. (As in, for 17" guitars...never?)

It's a complete about-face from the humbuckier centerblockier rock-geometry Gretsch direction of the past several years? Well yeah - I believe that market is well served.

My theory is that there’s still appetite for those classic Gretsch configurations among the eldergentsia - and new Gretsch converts, seduced into the fold with rockboxes, might extend their Gretsch adventures if it was more affordable to do so.

I have what might be the only double-cutaway, thin-body Country Club in existence, and I'm here to tell ya, it's a dream recipe. An Electromatical version... oh, God yes.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation