Modern Gretsch Guitars

The Product Announcement I’d Like to See from Gretsch

17" Electromatics and Streamliners. Maybe a double-cut thinline, but for sure a deep singlecut.

Just saying. Again.

Can anyone jump on the wish wagon? How about bringing back some of the color sparkle jets! (not player additions)

17" Electromatics and Streamliners. Maybe a double-cut thinline, but for sure a deep singlecut.

Just saying. Again.

– Proteus

Me and my big mouth! I never should have mentioned (for the umpteenth time in the past 9 or 10 years) that I like my hollowbodies to be 17" wide!

Mahogany slabs with single coils like the Special Jet with the DeArmonds.

Mahogany slabs with single coils like the Special Jet with the DeArmonds.

– wabash slim

Those are actually kind of cool! I remember the one I had. It was a pretty rowdy sounding guitar!

Still waiting on a CVT with Dynas. Joe C said it would happen one day, but he didn't know when.

A Gent with dial-up mutes and a subtle but clearly figured top.

PEARL DYNA JET WITH SCRIPTY HEADSTOCK AND HUMP BLOCK INLAYS!!!!!

A Rambler reissue! The one with the florentine cut!

A Rambler reissue! The one with the florentine cut!

– Mike2000

Here's one of the originals for sale in Hamburg, Mike. I doubt a reissue would cost less. https://m.ebay-kleinanzeige...

So I gotta ask: what's the preference for the extra inch? I've played a few Country Clubs, and while they feel different and they're very nice to play, I don't find the difference to be very noticeable, important or even memorable.

Of course there is Curt's Country Club, which is memorable in and of itself.

Here's one of the originals for sale in Hamburg, Mike. I doubt a reissue would cost less. https://m.ebay-kleinanzeige...

– sascha

Thanks Sascha! But talk about bad timing! I have sunk all my 'guitar money' (and more, shhhht!) into my build project for now. So that and some other financial challenges we're facing here makes it impossible to pursue it at this time. A real shame cause they usually don't come up for sale here in Europe, let alone somewhere within driving distance.

That said, Gretsch should make this body style in regular Jet scale! Now that would be awesome! Or maybe even a cool Custom shop project.

Just saying. Again.

– Proteus

How about also a double-cut deep body? It could even be Venetian to contrast the Barney Kessel Florentine look and would get my serious attention.

So I gotta ask: what's the preference for the extra inch? I've played a few Country Clubs, and while they feel different and they're very nice to play, I don't find the difference to be very noticeable, important or even memorable.

Of course there is Curt's Country Club, which is memorable in and of itself.

– redrocker

I don't mind 16" wide hollowbodies, but for some reason, 17" wide hollowbodies feel a tad bit more comfortable to me. 18" wide hollowbodies (like the Super 400), might be a tad bit too wide for me, but 17" - that's kind of in my (to borrow the astrobiology term) Goldilocks zone. When I play standing up, I sling guitars pretty high (think Steve Howe of Yes). I also pick from the wrist (I'm not an arm slinger when I hit the strings), so while a 16" hollowbody provides a nice anchor point for my right arm, a 17" hollowbody is even better, since I can hang the guitar slightly lower on my body than a 16" guitar (while staying in my comfort zone), and still have a nice rest, for the angle my right arm is laying at (which isn't as comfortable on a 16" wide guitar).

Would love to see a Corvette short-scale bass, 12-string duo jet, an electric tenor of some sort, Porsche Pumpkin Roc Jet .. and bring back the Bikini (with two pickups and lots of fun plug and play modular options).

My request is simple: Restore the 6128-T-DCM to the Gretsch lineup. That's all.

My request is simple: Restore the 6128-T-DCM to the Gretsch lineup. That's all.

– Timthom62

There’s one on Reverb now in Canada. NFI.

would love to see some deep body 17" 'ers...50's era jazzers...with dyna's!

but still thinkin of (a somewhat true to form) electromatic billybo

cant believe one hasn't surfaced yet!!

cheaper offset guitars are sooo popular these days...why gretsch keeps it as a premium item befuddles me

cheers

Just saying. Again.

– Proteus

Yes please.

With single coil pickups - and if not, a lead pickup that sits closer to the bridge than on current electros and streamliners. Anyone else notice the lead pickups on those guitars sit halfway between a regular lead pickup and a middle pickup?

That short scale Jet Firebird Bass that Davey Jones had.

There’s one on Reverb now in Canada. NFI.

– Baba Joe

Thanks. I currently have one on loan from a friend who is overseas, but when I have to give that up, I certainly will be in the market for one.

It's just such a great guitar, I'd like to see them start making them again.

Bring back the Dyna Clubs i say,caddy green and natural with spruce tops please.

Or even an Electro II reissue in natural.

Still waiting on a CVT with Dynas. Joe C said it would happen one day, but he didn't know when.

– FritzTheCat

I love all of the recommendations mentioned but the CVT w/ Dynas would easily move to #1 on the GAS list.

Register Sign in to join the conversation