Modern Gretsch Guitars

The ‘oops’ Spruce Top Country Club Registry

Well then.....

Nice job Bluetonic. And to think I just happened back here this evening to see this.

I have one as well. I am currently on vacation in Arizona. I should be home by next Monday and I will provide the serial number. Here is a picture of mine.

kc_eddie S/N is on the neck picture, unless the picture was just added. JT06106050 Not looking good on the theory of only 12 Model 6193's produced.

I found the serial number, it is JT06031708. The picture above shows the guitar with a non stock Tru-Arc bridge and the G cutout bridge was replaced with a Bigsby.

My main - only - interest in Oops Clubs has been the combination of a natural spruce top and DynaSonics. That’s the form in which I first noticed the guitar, at the “Hipster Hangout” Gretsch in-store event at Music 1-2-3/Woodwind-Brasswood in November 2006 - which I think was the first time these came to light.

Emphasizing: blond SPRUCE top AND DynaSonics. This is oopsy because in 2006, according to catalog specs, the 6193 was supposed to be the only natural/blond Club, and though it came in both Dyna/no-Bigsby and Filter/Bigsby form, it was supposed to have a MAPLE top - and the only Club with spruce was supposed to be the 6196, in Cad green with Filters.

If others have shared this perspective with me - ie, that an Oopsclub has to be blond, spruce, and Dyna - then there may be only around 12 guitars. But the guitar in the Ebay listing - and perhaps others which have found their way into the various versions of the registry - is blond, spruce, and FILTERTRON.

And, when you check factory vs actual specs, that combination is equally oopsimatic: regardless of pickups, the 6193 was the only catalogued blond Club in 2006, and it was spec’ed with MAPLE.

Nother words, Oops Clubs come in both Dyna and Filter variants. I’m no doubt slow on the uptake, but I’ve just now realized that. I’ve thought oopsness required 3 things: natural blond finish, spruce, and Dynas. That appears erroneous: only the first two are necessary. A natural blond, spruce, Filter’Tron Club from 2006 is equally oopsy.

If some of us have shared the same limiting definition, while others have recognized the wider designation, that would explain differences in the count of qualifying guitars. There could be only 12 DYNA Oopses - along with an unspecified number of FILTER versions.

There may be fewer of the Filter variant, making it the rarer bird.

Couple things: I suggest that for the purposes of identification, bridge and tailpiece should be ignored, as they’re easily changed at any time. Top wood and pickups are baked in forever. AND the Filter version should have the tone switch/mud control circuit rather than the tone-knob setup - another characteristic that would be difficult to mod.

Simplest definition: to be in the Oops Club, an Oops Club must have a BLOND, SPRUCE top - but could have Dynas OR Filters, and any bridge/tailpiece.

This also dramatically deepens the mystery of how the guitars came to be, and makes it seem it would have to have been more intentional. To the best of my knowledge and experience (Curt, correct me if I’m wrong), DynaSonic and Filter’Tron guitars have different neck sets, with a steeper angle on Dyna versions so the strings will clear the greater height of the taller, surface-mounted pickups. And, at least in the case of catalogued Clubs in 2006, the two pickups got different control circuits.

This all suggests to me that the Oopses can’t have been just one batch of one model that got the wrong finish. They must come from at least one batch of TWO models - making it seem less likely to me that the oopsing was entirely inadvertent. I think someone had to INTEND to make natural spruce Clubs in 2006.

Register Sign in to join the conversation