Modern Gretsch Guitars

The new Cliff Gallup model is here!!!

Ok, I just found it at Reverb! Looks great! I guess its basically a 6128-DSV with a few modifications like the bridge and pickguard. Very cool! The Cliff Gallup model

Since I haven't heard any news regarding the re-appearance of the original: Is this modelled after pictures only?

And apart from being 'historical correct': I'm not sure if I want a metal bridge base on my nitro finished Gretsch.

Wow. Long overdue in my opinion. That looks awesome!

Great guitar...but I wonder why it's described as "A finely crafted celebration of Gallup's 1954 model....". The 15654 serial number of Cliff's Jet puts it firmly within the 1955 category, even though he bought it in November of 1954.

Except for the signature, black paint on the tailpiece and the bridge, it's identical to my 6128-DSV which I bought used for $1,600. $3,779.99 is a bit steep for the same thing don't you think? And mine came with both a fixed and a swing arm. (I changed out one pickup and the bridge)

S Mac Link

Except for the signature, black paint on the tailpiece and the bridge, it's identical to my 6128-DSV which I bought used for $1,600. $3,779.99 is a bit steep for the same thing don't you think? And mine came with both a fixed and a swing arm. (I changed out one pickup and the bridge)

S Mac Link

– macatt

You are comparing a used price for a model that hasn't been made for a number of years with a brand new signature model where royalties have to be paid to Cliff's family, no doubt. Sort of an apples and oranges thing, I think.

Does the DSV have a nitro finish? If this Reverb ad copy is to be trusted, then the nitro lacquer likely explains a good chunk of that price difference. Not to mention, as Ric said, the royalties/licensing/etc.

Yes the 6128-DSV has a Nitro finish.

You are comparing a used price for a model that hasn't been made for a number of years with a brand new signature model where royalties have to be paid to Cliff's family, no doubt. Sort of an apples and oranges thing, I think.

– Ric12string

Of course I'm aware that I'm comparing used and new and about the likely royalties. I'm not at all questioning WHY the new signature Jet costs what it does.

That doesn't change the fact that you can get virtually the same guitar for a lot less money.

~S Mac

By the way; The 6128-DSV new was about $2,500 (and it is nitro and was advertised as a 1955 Cliff Gallup style). That's still a lot less. The extra $1,279 is for a signature on a plastic truss rod cover.

Looks great! Shop around. Saw this on ebay. Seems like a reasonable retail price. Link. Tried to upload an old cell phone pick of my 6128 DSV. I bought mine used. The g string nut slot was a little tight, but it has none of the major problems mentioned in recent threads about duo jets. It's a wonderful guitar.

A little surprised it doesn't come with T'Armonds, just the regular Dynas.

A little surprised it doesn't come with T'Armonds, just the regular Dynas.

– Gretschadelphia

yes, especially considering the price. Cool you can get a 50's styled Duo Jet again though.

Gretschrocker commenting on country of manufacture in one...two...

Newsflash- Outstanding player made extraordinary music with regular guitar.

The one I linked to is $2799. It's not far off from retail on the old DSV. Probably could get it for less from a local store. T-Armonds would be great at this price. Funny but true ade.

Will they be hollow like the originals,or just chambered?

I'm curious, and not to cast any doubts, has anyone seen any official announcements from Gretsch saying "Here It is - the Cliff Gallup 6128"? We all knew from Joe C. that this was in the works, but wouldn't there be some high level news announcements from Joe and Co, or Rocky, Wildwood, Cream City? Tundra Music is a small-ish Canadian shop, not known for its Gretsch expertise, and it's had its ups and downs..(Google it)...so am I the only one wondering...(and for the record, I would love a 6128DSV)...

By the way; The 6128-DSV new was about $2,500 (and it is nitro and was advertised as a 1955 Cliff Gallup style). That's still a lot less. The extra $1,279 is for a signature on a plastic truss rod cover. -- macatt

But, where can you buy a G6128-DSV? You'd be lucky to find one used.

Will they be hollow like the originals,or just chambered?

– Billy Zoom

Hollow!

BTW... the folks who posted this instrument jumped the gun with their announcement.

Joe, that has got to be beyond annoying when someone jumps the gun on a new model announcement. You're too much of a gentleman (and a skilled marketeer) to express your irritation directly. But this has to be a royal pain.

The Cat(Man) is outa the bag...

Best wishes for solid success.

Hollow!

BTW... the folks who posted this instrument jumped the gun with their announcement.

– Joe Carducci/Gretsch Guitars

Joe,

Does this mean the mystery has been solved?

You found the elusive guitar?

Every guitar has a story...can't wait to hear this one's!

Joe,

Does this mean the mystery has been solved?

You found the elusive guitar?

Every guitar has a story...can't wait to hear this one's!

– crowbone

Same thoughts here when I first saw this post. Been following the story of the quest for the Holy Grail for ages. Last time Joe posted, he said he was following a lead. What happened?

Sounds like a guitar well worth trying out. How cool! Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah - Catman!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation