Modern Gretsch Guitars

the most important G6136-55/59 question of all time

are the headstocks painted or drum wrapped? because the mixed media shiny white wrapped headstock/faded relic body you see on the custom shop ones is one the things that you could do to a falcon that bothers me the most, historically accurate or not.

The biggest issue with the modern Falcons IMO, is the binding. Not even close to the old ones.

oh my! i didn't realize i had something else to clutch my pearls about. what's up with the binding? is it a pre vs post fender thing? or did the recent 2015 or revamp of everything screw up the binding? or was it never right post baldwin?

i hear you can't see the side dots, but i never really use those.

heck, if you really want to see my feathers ruffled, ask me whey they stick gold binding and hardware on everything, whether it looks better or not. and for the record: silver binding = awesome. white binding = awesomer. tortoiseshell binding = somehow, it doesn't seem to be working. i should love it but i'm still not convinced.

all of that is dependent on the finish, of course.

The latest binding is a post Baldwin feature. Vintage style binding for Falcons is no longer being produced.

Both Pro Series and Custom Shop bindings use the present day drum wrap material.

how blissfully unaware i've been all this time. having never seen a vintage one, i never knew there was an issue. how different are they?

the mixed media shiny white wrapped headstock/faded relic body you see on the custom shop ones is one the things that you could do to a falcon that bothers me the most, historically accurate or not.

historically accurate.

Not even related!

There's a little info here: http://www.offsetguitars.co...

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

That picture he posted sums it up. It's the thick clear layer that's missing from modern gold sparkle binding.

I'll add that the first layer of white is actually paint. The old gold binding was sandwiched in clear which was painted to look like binding. I noticed it when I was taking high resolution images to figure out the binding puzzle.

as it happens, i do own me an old drum set. one that you could say is wrapped in gold. though it is a ludwig, it is a 67, so i figure it can't be much different. probably not lacquered and all that, but still. here's a not that great photo.

https://lh3.googleuserconte...

i'm not sure what this proves, but i'm sharing it anyway.

Register Sign in to join the conversation