Modern Gretsch Guitars

Dyna Jet Baritone: the hole in my guitorchestral guitarsenal.

One trudges along for ages, casting about in darkness shot through with dim glimmers of seen-through-a-glass-darkly for clues to the mystery. Then SUDDENLY, in sudden epiphany, comes the revelation...

A chambered Jet baritone with DynaSonics and Bigsby. That's it. That's my tone, I hears it in the ears of me mind.

There should be one, and not Custom Shop. Something I can bring myself to afford.

Amirighternot? Don't you want one now too?

That would go well with your "I am the Walrus" cover...

And about half of everything I do. I should've known all along. I wasn't a tenor in choir, and I wasn't quite bass.

My first electric was actually tenor scale, though I didn't realize it and didn't tune it that way. But with the Black Diamonds of the day, it sho had a mighty deep twang.

My acoustic tenor creates that deep mahogany stentorian ring, intimations of stark noble majesty, and has written many epic tales of mythic resonance with me.

My current tenor and 8-string electric adventures make me feel like a marauding (but oh so sensitive) Viking. All that's missing are...Dynas in the voice and Gretsch on the headstock.

This must be remedied. I could set the world free, and rule it in wise laissez-faire benevolence, delivering from on high majestic and profound revelations in the voice of doom - if only I had a baritone Dyna Jet.

Yes, non-heavy-metal Baritone guitars need single coil pickups, that's just a fact.

So, your suggesting getting one of these 5260s and routing it out for Dynas?

Well, that's a fallback position. I'm suggesting Terada Jet baris, preferably with "vintage" neck/Bigsby/bridge geometry rather than in the new slicked-up drag-racer LesPauly "Player's Edition" format (you know, shallow neck set, fixed-stud bridge, tension-bar Bigsby).

But I would probably accept a bari version of the new Player's Edition Dynasonic Jet.

I don't know what the overall market appetite would be for such a guitar - maybe sales figures of the Electromatic would provide a hint - but the ONLY difference between a regler Terada Dyna Jet (in any geometry) and a bari...is the neck. We know Terada can make baritones (they built the TV Jones).

It doesn't seem like it would be either difficult or much of an investment to run a limited edition Jet bari offering, and see what eventuates.

that assumes that there would be sufficient demand to make it worthwhile for Terada to do the necessary tooling, and i'm not certain the demand is there. if they can only sell 20 a year it's not going to recoup the necessary costs. it might be simpler to take an Electromatic Jet of some ilk and have a neck fabricated like Stephen Stills did with the single-cut Guild archtop he had a 12-string neck made for, which David Crosby played on the 1969-70 CSNY tours. Guild wasn't going to run one up for him even if he was a superstar.

I’ve been eyeing this Eastwood Sidejack Baritone for a few weeks. Tell me why I shouldn’t spend $450 on it.

I guess I should give up Gretsch dreams and get one too. At least it's a bari with muscular single-coils.

Why not get the TV Jones baritone with T-Armonds?

I’ve been eyeing this Eastwood Sidejack Baritone for a few weeks. Tell me why I shouldn’t spend $450 on it.

– Bob Howard

For what it’s worth, the Sidejack I just got is great.

First suggestion: Get one of these (G6128B Thunderjet short scale):

Drill a couple more holes in the peghead, put in smaller tuners, change the bridge and tailpiece. Put in some T'Armonds.

Second Suggestion: Get one of these (G5442BDC Electromatic® Hollow Body 30.3" Short Scale Bass):

and do the same.

Third suggestion: Just get this, the one you really want and play the heck out of it.

For what it’s worth, the Sidejack I just got is great.

– fieldhdj

Thanks for the encouraging POV. I’m going to see it tomorrow afternoon.

I've played a few of those Eastwood sidejacks, baritone and regular, and found all of them uncomfortably heavy

– Bob Howard

not orange enough?

– Bob Howard

I had one of those for a few months in 2009 (I got rid of it because I realized that I prefer 7-string guitars over baritones). It was a very nice guitar.

I know I've said this before, and I'll say it again - no Gretsch Baritones. Make mine a 7-string Gretsch please!

a 7-string Falcon would be something. maybe not something anyone would find useful, but certainly something.

Make mine a 7-string Gretsch please!

Eight.

Make mine a 7-string Gretsch please!

Eight.

– Proteus

An 8-string would be great, but as I've mentioned, Ernie Ball doesn't make Cobalt strings (one of the only lines of electric guitar strings that my nickel and chromium allergies will tolerate) for 8-sring guitars. 7-strings yes, 8-strings no, and I was informed by Ernie Ball, that it would not be a good idea to use a Cobalt 7-string set, with a Cobalt bass string for the 8th string. Oh well.

But what makes Ernie Ball availability the necessary pre-condition for life in the 8-9-10 domain?

When my new 8-er needed strings right off the bat (because the 9s were intolerable), I found at least six brands on juststrings.com making 8-string (and more) sets. I went with Rotosound - because "piano sound" - but will probably try someone else next time round, just to see.

did you not try the Cobalts-with-bass-string set? if we listened to what manufacturers think Fender would be known as that company who sold steel guitars to Western Swing guitarists.

I've played a few of those Eastwood sidejacks, baritone and regular, and found all of them uncomfortably heavy.

The Eastwood Senn Model One bari I already have is comfortable at 7 lbs 3 oz or so.

I compared the Sidejack specs to the Model One's. The Sidejack has the same wood, same scale length (27.5", pretty minimum for a hapnin' bari and 2" shorter than the TVJ), and same trem as the Model One. Differences are set neck on the Sidejack vs Model One bolt-on - and the E-90s in the Sidejack vs singles-under-bucker-covers on the Model One.

Which I'm going to change to Surf 90s anyway.

So I'd be buying the Sidejack just for the pickups...and that's not a compelling enough reason. I think I'll manage to save my money on this one, and wait for some sort of Gretschy solution. Or a Fendery P90/JM config.

seems like putting together a Jazzmaster body and a Tele/Strat baritone neck--or a Dano neck for that matter--would be the quickest way around the block. you too can feel like a luthier because you own a set of Phillips screwdrivers and Allen wrenches! if memory serves there have even been Fender/Squier JMs with P-90s in, though maybe not with the tremolo that would be essential. wouldn't a JM trem be totally ace on a baritone? or what about a baritone Telecaster re-routed for Dynas? i'm thinking a Thinline body, a baritone Tele neck, a Bigsby, a set of Dynas, and Bob's your uncle. you've got yer chambered body, yer 30" scale, and yer Dynas, though admittedly you don't get the Gretsch aesthetic.

see, one of my minor obsessions is finding simple and reasonably-priced ways to get new pickups and ideas into my palette, so i've spent a lot of time problem-solving, e.g. "what's the best/cheapest solution for an electric 12-string?" (answer: the Revelation 12-string Jazzbastard with P-90s in JM shells and a Varitone switch, though what i really want is a full single-cut archtop loaded with Bartolinis). right now i have a set of Höfner staple humbuckers waiting for a home, which will probably be one of those $89 set-neck Strat-alike husks from GFS. see what i mean?

Register Sign in to join the conversation