Modern Gretsch Guitars

The guitar you don’t have, but which always blows you away (but whi…

YEAH!!!

I always wanted one of those!

K

When I became comfortable wearing a top hat.... no comfortable is not the word. When I owned wearing a top hat, my fear of playing any guitar on stage disappeared. Like magic it was gone. Except for one of those pointy Flying V contraptions, but I think this is just a matter of good taste....

When I became comfortable wearing a top hat.... no comfortable is not the word. When I owned wearing a top hat, my fear of playing any guitar on stage disappeared. Like magic it was gone. Except for one of those pointy Flying V contraptions, but I think this is just a matter of good taste....

– Hipbone

So the top hat is the key? I'll have to try that...

It worked for this guy, too!

Old friend of mine has a Guitar that I play sometimes when I go over to visit him....He is always trying to sell it to me,honestly, brought the price way down last time. Every single time I pick it up something happens to me. But I haven’t bought it. 1954 Black guard Esquire, played a lot, light as a feather and clear as a bell.i seem to want to have him keep it and visit it , seriously, that Guitar sort of spooks me.

– 949Norm

Your buddy's guitar is pretty close to my "fantasy" guitar - a circa 1960 Custom Esquire. I am an Esquire fan and don't own one.

The sibling to your friend's guitar is owned by my brother - a 53/4 Telecaster which is pictured above.

No,i'm not afraid of any guitar no matter what it costs or looks like.

The only reason i'll never own a certain guitar is because i can't afford it,simple as that.

I was intimidated by all the switches on a Jaguar (and couldn't get one to make any sound the first time I tried one), until my lust for one overcame my fear . . . I learned how to tame them switches right-quick.

Ironically, my former bandmates were intimidated by my Tenny. They were thrown by the mud and kill switches. While they could all agree it was a cool guitar, but they nevertheless regarded it like the two-headed calf at the county fair.

I was intimidated by all the switches on a Jaguar (and couldn't get one to make any sound the first time I tried one), until my lust for one overcame my fear . . . I learned how to tame them switches right-quick.

Ironically, my former bandmates were intimidated by my Tenny. They were thrown by the mud and kill switches. While they could all agree it was a cool guitar, but they nevertheless regarded it like the two-headed calf at the county fair.

In '60s, I really desired a Fender guitar. I can't decide which one now. Since I don't play my present guitars much, doesn't seem there's much reason to buy one. Still?

Lee

I really desired a Fender guitar. I can't decide which one now.

This should help you decide.

I worshiped the Stratocaster. It just looked so cool! My guitar heroes played a Jazzmaster. Rich Fifield, Roy Clark, Bob Bogle. The Telecaster is probably the best instrument.

How can I buy three guitars to put in the closet to gather dust?

Or which of the three should I put in the closet to gather dust?

All my closets are already full.

Lee

No,i'm not afraid of any guitar no matter what it costs or looks like.

The only reason i'll never own a certain guitar is because i can't afford it,simple as that.

– JCHiggy

Same here JC. The cost is what stops me but I have what I want (mostly) but I was never scared.....angry yes, but scared, no. If I'm not creating what I want to hear on any guitar, I just get mad and then my way of getting even is to practice the hell out of it.

"Come here White Falcon, you mother franker. Your ebony fretboard is toast!!!" Ok, I won't go Charlie Manson all over a 6 string but I feel that I won't let a guitar beat me. I also said the same thing when I played golf competitively and, well......I'm not on the PGA tour. But even then, if I'm not hitting it right then tape up the hands because I'm hitting balls till I get what I want or my hands are too bloody.

I recently had a session like that with my Gibson Firebird. 4 straight hours of practice and I then put her back in the case and was very satisfied.

Some '52 Les Pauls that I've heard just blow me away, and now with the availability of retrofit bridges that have corrected the strings running underneath the bridge they surely have become playable. I tried to buy one last year that was at a reasonable price ($11,000), but it got bought out right from under me. You know, ya snooze ya lose.

I was afraid to buy a white Falcon, so I got a black one.

Owned just about everything six-string except a big hollowbody Gibson.Can't justify the bux,but I'd sure like to make friends with a blonde ES-350 like the one Chuck Berry used early on.

Gibson J200 in tobacco burst. Too much money for such an superb acoustic guitar !!

Proteus is of course referring to the Trini Lopez Custom --- Trini had TWO signature Gibsons, one of which was basically a fancified ES-335, the other a pimped-out Barney Kessel, the first Gibson to have double Florentine cutaways on a 17" deep hollow body, but with a 24.75" scale. I have a very high-quality Ventura version of the Barney Kessel made by Matsumoku in the 70's, and it sounds great, although the neck is a little smallish for my tastes.

– Parabar

I have one of the "Standard" Trinis. It doesn't scare me, but I can barely play it; really narrow nut width.

I admire and have always had severe GAS for the great and classic jazz boxes - L5, Super 400, ES-150, ES-250, D'Angelicos, Epiphone Emperors, etc. I wouldn't say I find them intimidating, and if money was no object, I'd have one of each. But, I will probably never own one because I just wouldn't do one of these guitars justice and won't sink money into something that I can't put to good use.

But, if a rock ever falls on my head and I miraculously wake up with wicked jazz chops, then this is first on my list...

Register Sign in to join the conversation