Modern Gretsch Guitars

The Gretsch Master Color Compendium

A professional nutritionist can give me far more than I want or need to know about the chemical makeup of the food I eat, including the baffling varieties of combinations that might bear the same name in the market.

That doesn't keep me from eating.

It can't be an impossible undertaking to compile the names GRETSCH has given the colors. I realize providing current or historical cross-references to colors and shades in the paint industry would be a fools' errand. I had no intention to suggest we create an authoritative reference for anyone to find an exact hue currently available which will match their guitar or replicate an historical Gretsch color (either as it looked when new, or as it looks now after 50-60 years of exposure to one or another or a combination of deleterious environments).

Gretsch color names, with the general era in which they were introduced (down to the year, if possible), preferably associated with models they appeared on, and when. Some representative color swatches and/or pictures of guitars. That's it. No paint codes, historical or modern.

Accuracy? Color names and when they were available on what. Maybe pictorial examples. For most colors, there's little or no controversy. For some (Cad green, the oranges, walnut stain), a number of pictures can show the range and variety.

We never get our guitars precisely in tune, but we play them anyway.

Well put. Within those parameters, I think that's probably do-able.

Sorry for the prior fretting over details...That's the financial auditor in me coming out.

I guess, I remember someone who was particularly particular about a gunmetal silver on the back of their guitar not being 100% accurate to their minds eye.

Sure go for it I think it would be a good reference but you would need a disclaimer. I'm a traditionalist and to my fault a perfectionist that despises revisionist history and incorrect conclusions so when there is a discussion on color and people like V2 better then that's cool but people need to know the history before we lose another generation to it is whatever you want it to be.

I guess, I remember someone who was particularly particular about a gunmetal silver on the back of their guitar not being 100% accurate to their minds eye.

I know. What a jerk.

Of course disclaimers. And for colors for which there's been variance through the years, that information would be included in a notes field.

No not a jerk but if more time was taken upfront then there's less chances for a negative result. Same thing here, wouldn't it be great to have THE standard for worldwide reference?

I haven't used the serial number database on here for years because it's inaccurate, I used Ed's books for that. Maybe that's been fixed, I sure hope so.

I know. What a jerk.

Of course disclaimers. And for colors for which there's been variance through the years, that information would be included in a notes field.

– Proteus

Finish aging needs to be noted too IMO.

My '12 Snowcrest White is yellowing nicely.

I know, it shouldn't, but it is. It's not like it's been sitting in the sun full time, but it sure as heck isn't the blinding " white white" that is was the day I brought it home.

If someone saw it now and said that's the color that I want, they would be disappointed with a new Snowcrest White.

If more time was taken upfront then there's less chances for a negative result.

Of course. Lesson learned from a specific situation.

It would be great to have THE standard for worldwide reference, with authoritative paint codes...but as you've made clear, the hurdles to that goal are insurmountably high. A general reference can be accurate as reasonable diligence can make it - for actual color names, years, and models - with ballpark examples of the colors. That would, I think, be both a useful reference and a diverting browse helping to explore one dimension of the Gretsch mystique.

Aiming for the impossible (like actual vendor color codes) makes the perfect the enemy of the good.

Another disclaimer, yes.

Another disclaimer, yes.

– Proteus

And some modern units are shot with a tinted clear coat.

Not all, but several of various colors.

Don't forget the extraordinary smoke grey and metallic violet that was used on a Country Club a few years back. I'm waiting patiently for Gretsch to issue a 6118 with that colour scheme.

Proteus.... if you would build an xls template that I could start populating i’ll do so. Then I’ll send it back so you can copy that info into your master. Thx!

Proteus.... if you would build an xls template that I could start populating i’ll do so. Then I’ll send it back so you can copy that info into your master. Thx!

– kc_eddie_b

Ditto. You should have both my Gmail and my Yahoo address, if not, it's "tartanphantom@" for either.

I'll whup that up as soon as I can. Root canal this afternoon and a raft of little tasks to do before leaving for NC tomorrow, but I should have time after workdays during the week in NC to do it.

This was originally going to be a part of the database, and to some level was, in the early days. But much like measurements, it quickly became clear that few people actually know, and even fewer get it right, so we had to back off.

It's totally doable. The DB is already set up to handle colors, to group them into families, and to provide a sample "paint chip".

From a DB perspective, though, we'd probably end up seeing more than a few "Porsche Pumpkin" 6120s.

The trick, as I think about it, might be to figure out how have the full list in the DB, but a subset available to select to denote your guitar color (to minimize bad choices), while making it clear that we're doing that.

Another possibility (which would require some help) might be to assign a default color to each model in the DB, that the user can override. But man, there are a LOT of models in the db.

Register Sign in to join the conversation