Modern Gretsch Guitars

The Gretsch Bar Bridge

Knowing that the stock Bar has not been contoured to a 12" radius, wouldn't you think that would/could have been corrected by now.

Has it?

I love my Tru Arc Bridges and want more - just curious.

I use the stock Gretsch RBB on my 6120RHH which has the 12" fretboard radius...

It's not going to out-do a Tru-Arc, with the correction and more advanced thinking, etc., but other than it being uncompensated I don't sense a whole lot of mismatch for the radius.

Lots of bridge/saddle combinations do much worse, but a Bigsby rigged guitar (to me at least) is a different thing than one without.

A guitar with a hard tail or fixed bridge/saddle is much happier set-up with near perfect intonation.

How is the bar bridge on the new Players Edition models? I would think that they fixed the radius issue before they released this new line.

The Gretsch Rocking Bar Bridge has a little flatter radius than even a 12" Tru Arc (mine is close to 14"--not a scientifc measurement, but done with a set of radius guages from Stew Mac, FWIW).

I have recently got hold of a 6119T Players Edition as spec, it came with a Gretsch Rocking bar bridge. I also have a 6120 DSV that had a older 2007 Gretsch rob. The new one is quite different in radius and looks pretty close to 12inch, older one is certainly not. I fitted a True Arc to the DSV and it made s huge difference in playing fell and also sound as its stainless. I tried it on the 6119T and more tone and slightly better feel than the newer GRBB.Ive put a True on both now and will see how it works out, I was considering a Compton seems difficult to get one in UK.

I have three Gretsch RBBs and they each are a different radius. Of the two aftermarket, but still official Gretsch, ones, the first has a radius just under 20 inches and the second is an exact 16 inch radius. The third, taken from a friend's 2016 pro-line guitar, which received a Tru-Arc, is a 14 inch radius.

For me the 14 inch radius bridge on a 12 inch radius fretboard wasn't a noticeable issue, but you did have to have the action raised a bit to avoid fret buzz on the second and third strings.

So while they're still not perfect, it appears, from a limited sample of one, that they may be asymptotically approaching the correct radius.

All of my factory BB's were off enough to be bothersome in set ups to my liking.

To be fair, a few weren't terrible, but Tru-Arcs did spoil me in making set ups near perfect. I'm trying out a couple of Tim's Serpentunes, and these are really "it" for me.

I like everything about them so far.

All of my factory BB's were off enough to be bothersome in set ups to my liking.

To be fair, a few weren't terrible, but Tru-Arcs did spoil me in making set ups near perfect. I'm trying out a couple of Tim's Serpentunes, and these are really "it" for me.

I like everything about them so far.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Every Gretsch guitar with a floating bridge should come stock with a Tru-Arc Serpentune. The only other question would be which metal should be stock. It seems most players prefer the stainless steel or brass for the gold hardware guitars. For me I like the aluminum. It produces the Bigsby compensated bridge sound but fatter, rounder and smoother.

I passed on the Tru-Arc simply because they don't come in gold. Bought myself a Gretsch Bar Bridge and am very happy. Can't put brass or copper or aluminum on a White Falcon. Must be a gold bridge.

I replaced the melita/syncrosonic bridge on my Caddy Green Duo Jet with a rocking bar bridge. before I put it on, I compared the bar with the guitar neck and it was pretty close to the same curve. I haven't noticed any loss of tone. so, I'm happy with the bar. granted, a Tru Arc would possibly be better, but for now "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

My '07 6128 TDS had a stock bar bridge with about an 18" radius....even with the frets leveled by a Pro the guitar still buzzed on the inner strings. Put on a Tru Arc ST120 and the guitar had nary a buzz or rattle with low action and sounded better also. I also replaced the stock Gotoh Rattlematic on my Power Tenny with a Tru Arc ST120 Rock Steady. The stock TOM style bridge was a very close radius match but the action still was better w/ the Tru Arc and a nice improvement in tone. I thought I was gonna want to change out the stock MIK TOM style bridge on my NS Guild X175B but it's the correct 9.5" radius to match the fret board and it magically doesn't buzz or rattle; so I'm leaving well enough alone for now.

I recently picked up a 6119 player's edition and compared the bridge with my tru-arc 12". It seems like they may have fixed the radius, because they were identical.

Just bought one from a Gretsch parts dealer..the radius is 12 exactly . I measured it with a radius gauge. The problem I'm having now is that the radius of the neck which is listed as 12 is really 10 ish...I'm scratching my head so I think I'm gonna do a 9.5 Tru Arc soon. I think it will play better. Seems to me that pro lines have wonderfully built and stylish guitars, great pickups and electronics..but the fit and finish( mismatched radius, bridge issues etc..should be looked at.

Register Sign in to join the conversation