Modern Gretsch Guitars

The General Quality Of Gretsch Pro-line Guitars

Well I just spent another few hours working on my new 6120T-55 VS, and after that time spent, I've just got to give it up to Gretsch. What amazes me is just how well they respond to tweaks. This is the 4th postFMIC Pro-line guitar that I've owned and I can say without a doubt they are just built so well. One of the reason I like to setup my own guitars is that you really get to know quite a bit about each one by screwing with all the features of a guitar that are adjustable (ie pickup height, polepiece height, trussrod adjustments, bridge height adjustments, etc). And with each of these guitars, I have been able to set the playing height ridiculously low (way lower than I would use), without fret buzz! That says alot about how well these guitars are built! And you could really change the whole character of the guitar with these adjustments. Okay enough said, I'm just gushing. I just love this new guitar, and although I love my DuoJet and Annie, I think the Chet is the best one yet!!!

Preach it, brother. I've sung in that choir so long I sometimes wonder if it's true or I've just been indoctrinated.

Glad to have independent confirmation.

When you adjust a Gretsch, the adjustment works - and it does something. If the necks just needed a truss tweak more often, I'd get more opportunities to enjoy how smoothly and easily those adjustments work. Sometimes I'm tempted to adjust them out of whack and then back again - just for a reminder of what quality feels like.

Preach it, brother. I've sung in that choir so long I sometimes wonder if it's true or I've just been indoctrinated.

Glad to have independent confirmation.

When you adjust a Gretsch, the adjustment works - and it does something. If the necks just needed a truss tweak more often, I'd get more opportunities to enjoy how smoothly and easily those adjustments work. Sometimes I'm tempted to adjust them out of whack and then back again - just for a reminder of what quality feels like.

– Proteus

Well now you have a singing brother in harmony Tim, and that is exactly what I did, i took all the adjustments to their extreme and brought em back to where I liked them:)

Not only do they work well and respond to all the little tweaks that many of us are inclined to perform on them, but their sonic character is evocative of certain emotional associations that parallel only the highest trancendental states; the slightest movement of the Bigsby and the spirit floats like a bubble. ooooommmmmm

I volunteer for Choir Duty....! The Pro-Line Gretsch guitars I've owned have all been extraordinary in build quality.

About 4 years I bought a new Gibson ES-335 (a bucket list item for 50+ years). To be clear I did not experience any of the horror shows that many Gibson owners had experienced. My guitar had no major defects. However it was at best "just average" in quality compared with my Gretsches. No fatal flaws -- just minor annoyances.

As a result, over the last year (+??) it spent most of its time as a wall hanging. I recently "thinned" it from the herd.........

I think that we are going to look back at this being the golden age of Gretsch guitars.

I would have to agree about the standard of finish on current Proline Gretsches. The finish on both of my Gretsches is close to flawless - one is lacquer and one is poly. Both are excellent. I also have a few CS Gibsons which cost significantly more and no, they aren't finished quite as perfectly as the Gretsches. It's mainly the way Gibson scrape the binding. Both the CS Gibsons and the Gretsches respond really well to tweaking, but the Gretsches seem to be even more sensitive to tweaking than the Gibsons, especially where the pickups are concerned.

The only area where I think the Gibson have the edge is the overall feel. I LOVE my 6120 SSLVO but it doesn't just melt into my hand like my 335 does. To be fair my 335 is a CS, not a regular 335 - there is quite a difference. The 335 probably cost double what my SSLVO did! The Gibsons just feel a little more "worn-in" where the Gretsches still feel brand new. It's not a good/bad thing but I do feel like picking up my Gibson over the Gretsches most of the time.

However when I do pick up a Gretsch the quality is obvious. For how I play the SSLVO is close to perfect soundwise. I've spent quite some time setting it up and it really does make a difference getting to know what your guitar can do.

I'm really spoilt!

If y'all are in the choir, I'll be an usher and take up the offering plate from the congregation.

As an owner of 4 modern Pro-line instruments (two 2007 and two 2011 builds), I can certainly abide with the gospel of modern-era Gretsch.

Of course, all four of mine have had the added benefit of the famed "Joe Carducci setup", which, IMO, gives them an edge right off the bat compared to one off the rack at a store.

It is indeed a great time to be a Gretsch enthusiast.

I really appreciate my Electro/Synchro's but I have to admit it's very hard to put my Falcon down. Just everything about her is so sweet. On another note, in the past couple of years the G54** are really close in quality and feel, based on the G5420T that my Karolyn won in Nashville.

I really appreciate my Electro/Synchro's but I have to admit it's very hard to put my Falcon down. Just everything about her is so sweet. On another note, in the past couple of years the G54** are really close in quality and feel, based on the G5420T that my Karolyn won in Nashville.

– Suprdave

Ya know, Dave, I have to agree. What a difference a few years can make. I have 10-yr old Electromatics, which are OK, but still don't have the feel of a Pro-line... Then, Amy won a new 5622T (a 2017 model) at the last Nashville Roundup, and I have to say, it feels MUCH closer to Pro-line than any of my other Electros. After gigging with it several times, I've remarked to her on many occasions just how sweet it is to play... But then again, it has a setup by "Don (his honorific Italian title) Carducci".

Ya know, you might just be on to something. It could be Joe's magic touch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation