Modern Gretsch Guitars

T’Armonds on a 6120 Junior?

I have a 6120 Junior and love the playability, but the HS Filtertons seem to be missing some of the life and sparkle that I love in my 5120 with TV Classics.

I am thinking of upgrading the pickups. I have been curious to try the T'Armonds for a while, and am thinking this might be a good option to try in my Junior to add another sound to my palette. I also have a 5129 and like the Dearmond 2000s in that.

So, my questions would be ... why aren't there any Juniors with Dynas (or are there?)? Has anyone done this mod on a Jr? Any thoughts on how these pickups would sound in a Junior? Since the 6120 Jr sounds basically like a full-sized 6120, I am guessing that it would sound just like 6120 with T-Armonds, but with the smaller body size, would I get any of the Dyna Jet sound properties?

Any other thoughts on T-Armonds in general and whether this a good/bad idea?

Thanks!

Also, any considerations when switching from filters to T-Armonds in terms of the tone switch? Do you just connect it the same way, or change caps, etc?

What I did to the mud switch when I put T-Armonds in my 6120 Setzer is I soldered a 500kOhm resistor from hot to ground. This resistor does the same as the 500k Tone Pot does on Gretches that come with single coils - of course with the Tone Pot on "10".

With the value of the caps you can play when you don´t like them as they are. Higher value gets you are darker tone and vice versa.

Compared to TVJ Classics I find the T-Armonds brighter with a lot more twang on the bass strings ... .

All the best from Germany

I have a 6120 Junior and love the playability, but the HS Filtertons seem to be missing some of the life and sparkle that I love in my 5120 with TV Classics.

I am thinking of upgrading the pickups. I have been curious to try the T'Armonds for a while, and am thinking this might be a good option to try in my Junior to add another sound to my palette. I also have a 5129 and like the Dearmond 2000s in that.

So, my questions would be ... why aren't there any Juniors with Dynas (or are there?)? Has anyone done this mod on a Jr? Any thoughts on how these pickups would sound in a Junior? Since the 6120 Jr sounds basically like a full-sized 6120, I am guessing that it would sound just like 6120 with T-Armonds, but with the smaller body size, would I get any of the Dyna Jet sound properties?

Thanks!

– magnet

Oddly enough I do believe I'm about to be facing this mod myself!!! I'm going for the TV Jones T-Armond version of the Dynasonic pickup & it's headed into an '03 6120 Jr. I just got. I thought they might go into a Players Edition 6120, but it looks like a set of TV Jones Signature Setzer pickups for that one & the single coils are going in the Jr. now!

Thanks for posting this thread... the info from RockinHerman may come in handy!! I'll be ordering the pickups in the next week or two & getting the mod done sometime this next month. I promise to keep you updated. The work will be done at Fab Gear in Rochester & Andy there is a pretty strong Gretsch expert & does some great work!!

I actually found the t-armonds to be darker than tv classics and setzer filtertrons. To the point where I plan on switching my 57ri duo jet from 500k pots to 1meg (which actually appears to be vintage correct). I do agree that they have more twang on the low strings. They're great pickups, I just would say they're the darkest out of the three kinds I have (classics, setzer sig, and t-armonds).

Converting a guitar from humbuckers to single coils is almost always a good idea. Do it!

Thanks all, for your responses. I am curious to see if there are any juniors with Dynas out there.

Linclink, please do post about your mod once it is done. I would love to see/hear how it worked out!

Thanks all, for your responses. I am curious to see if there are any juniors with Dynas out there.

Linclink, please do post about your mod once it is done. I would love to see/hear how it worked out!

– magnet

Will do for sure!! I have to do some research (a post here already addressed this subject earlier) on if I need to modify any electronics- capacitors etc. to better accommodate the T-Armond/Dynasonics vs. the original Gretsch Filtertrons that were on it... will be consulting with Andy Babiuk (owner of Fab Gear, author of "The Beatles Gear", bass player for The Empty Hearts- formerly with The Chesterfield Kings) about it over the next week... hope to have mod all done & finished sometime in January.

Good luck with your mod, linclink. It sounds like you have some great help to consult with on this project!

Register Sign in to join the conversation