Modern Gretsch Guitars

Talk me out of of a cheap acoustic…

Everyone needs one.

My cheap acoustic- late 70's Fender FJ.

About $450 new as I recall. Still warm, still awesome sounding. Has been my main recording (acoustic) guitar essentially forever, even when I was using much newer and pricier Taks on stage. This old burst just sounds better on tape, as it were.

Harmony Sovereign ala Jimmy Page

A fair amount of other vintage bargain brands that can still be great sounding. Acoustics are more individual.

Nothing looks and sounds like a Martin as a Martin... or a Sigma. Sigma makes legal copies of Martin guitars at much lower cost. This is my J40.

Hmm--there are fender acoustics around and sigmas. Any opinions on these.

K

Just got back home with my new Ibanez AVC11 acoustic. It is grand concert shape, wide nut (45mm) and ”thermo aged” woods. Plays, looks and sounds great. They also have dreadnought model in the same series. I think you should try one. I traded my Alvarez D model for this as I wanted a smaller body guitar with wider nut. I still have Martin HD28 to cover my dreadnought needs.

Hmm--there are fender acoustics around and sigmas. Any opinions on these.

K

– Konrad

Sigmas are fine---entry level Martins. I've never been too impressed with Fender acoustics.

Hey Konrad, if you can find an Epiphone that was made in Japan, they are very good. They just aren't the same, after moving production to China (in 2004). I have PR700, I bought new in 1984, it opened up to be a fantastic guitar. There may be some of the Japanese epi's available in Europe. I really can't say enough about my Japanese Epiphone it's just incredible sounding.

Are you looking for all solid wood guitar or will a Solid Top and laminate sides and back work?

Had an Ibby PF that looked and sounded great and was very inexpensive.

Loved my Seagull Coastal. 12 but it was a little soft (and warm) sounding and the Cedar scratched if you just looked at it. The Cherry sides and back are laminate. Nice chunky neck though.

My Chinese GAD Guilds sound and play fantastic with bone nuts and all solid woods. I just picked up a small bodied Westerly Guild M-140(import) for 1/2 the normal MAP brand new because it was a discontinued model. The quality on it is pretty impressive.

The L Series Yamahas (around $850-$1K US) are pretty nice as well. There is a lot to choose from and each individual guitar may vary greatly in sound and playability from the next one.

Hey Konrad, if you can find an Epiphone that was made in Japan, they are very good. They just aren't the same, after moving production to China (in 2004). I have PR700, I bought new in 1984, it opened up to be a fantastic guitar. There may be some of the Japanese epi's available in Europe. I really can't say enough about my Japanese Epiphone it's just incredible sounding.

– Wade H

I’ll second that motion. With the Gibson style headstock.

My son (on the video) has a good copy of a Martin 000X1. I tried many before finding this one with a nice fine grained spruce top.

Cool guitars--a shop nearby has a lot of epiphones, but for (much more money) there is a j45 (mahogany) and a bit less a Taylor 210e dlx, which is spruce top, rosewood back and sides...

Both were very impressive.

A chunk of change though.

k

Taks are also out. Not really a fan.

I might suggest rethinking this. I picked up a used older model Takamine (with the lawsuit headstock logo) for $150.00 at a local guitar show (not sure if any of the regular GDP Philly guitar show goers were with me). It's a great playing, good sounding guitar (and looks like a Martin from a distance- Ha!).

Register Sign in to join the conversation