Modern Gretsch Guitars

T-Armonds and TV Classic Combination

Has anyone combined a T-Armond and a TV Classic on the same guitar?

I'm wondering how a T-Armond (neck) and TV Classic Plus (bridge) might sound in my Duo Jet.

I've never seen or heard of anyone combining the two. Thanks.

I think the first pickups in Paul Pigat's SynchroClub were a Classic plus in the bridge and a TArmond in the neck. PM him if he doesn't see this thread.

I have a Powertron bridge and Dynasonic neck pickup in my White Penguin and I like the configuration. I do spend most of the time in the bridge position, but it does offer some very nice tones in all 3 positions.

I'm intrigued by the combination. Combining humbuckers and single coils in Teles and other Fender-type guitars isn't unusual at all. Lots of Fano models combine the two also. But I've never seen it done on a Gretsch. I'm sure it's done, but I just haven't seen it.

I like the stock Dyna neck pickup on my Jet. It's clear and defined. But the bridge pickup doesn't do it for me. I want something a little fatter, that compresses when you turn it up. But I still want to maintain that Gretsch-y middle position.

I replace the pinky ponky stock Dyna in my Silverjet with a TV Jones classic Filtertron and kept the Dyna in the neck. Seemed to work mighty fine that way. So not a T armond. I'm a rotter who prefers GFS Surf 90's generally

Cool. Same principle. After playing my Jet more, I think I'm going the same route. I'm keeping the stock Dyna in the neck and putting a TV Classic Plus in the bridge. That should do the trick.

Cool, hope that works well Jetboy. I figured I play the bridge pup mostly and decided to get that sounding the way I wanted, maybe upgrading the neck at a later date. But the middle position worked well so I left it that way. I used the T V Jones classic in the dynasonic format...do they do a Classic Plus in that format?

I’m sure they do, Vince.

Another solution to plinkyplonk is to replace the stock bridge Dyna with a bolder Dyna - like a T-Armond or Seymour’s offering. And either SD or TV will overwind one to your prefs. The stock Tokiwa Dynas just run a little cool and thin, especially in a thinner-bodied/solid/chambered instrument. Usually around 8k, if I remember aright - get one up around 11, and it gets fairly meaty.

Pic of my Penguin.... looks and sounds amazing

I'm always tempted to do this on my Duo Jet until I plug in and play. Flipping the stock Dynasonics did the trick for me. It fattened up the bridge pickup and cleared up the neck pickup.

I've got a P-tron bridge and Magnatron neck pickup in my Panther- if you want that chimey/glassy sort of neck-pickup tone the Maggie gets close and keeps you in hum-less territory. Its a great combo (for me, at least), though I will say that the middle position doesn't sound all that different from being on just the neck. I do keep thinking about tying a T-armond in the neck...... someday.......

I’m sure they do, Vince.

Another solution to plinkyplonk is to replace the stock bridge Dyna with a bolder Dyna - like a T-Armond or Seymour’s offering. And either SD or TV will overwind one to your prefs. The stock Tokiwa Dynas just run a little cool and thin, especially in a thinner-bodied/solid/chambered instrument. Usually around 8k, if I remember aright - get one up around 11, and it gets fairly meaty.

– Proteus

I ended up ordering a T-Armond for the neck. And yes, TVJ does offer the Classic Plus in the DeArmond mount.

And........I just ordered a TruArc with a rosewood bridge base, so I am good to go!

Pic of my Penguin.... looks and sounds amazing

– Hipbone

That's a beauty!

This probably won't help you, as the mod that I made was on a 6120.

I had a stock Dyna, properly shimmed in the bridge position, and a TV HiLo shimmed up in the neck position. Killer combination to my ears

Register Sign in to join the conversation