Modern Gretsch Guitars

Strings Go out of tune after bends

I always have unbleached nuts installed as bleached tends to stand out too brightly on a vintage guitar where the binding has mellowed with age. I can't imagine there being any real difference between the two from a performance standpoint.

It's the nut. Put some powdered graphite in the slots. If that doesn''t fix it, file the slots wider and angled towards the tuner post.

– Billy Zoom

That's what I thought, Billy.

Regarding the strings lying over the saddle at an angle (but not in the saddle slots) as in the photo I showed, is that an issue in any way?

There really isn't enough of an angle created at the bar bridge slots as there is at the nut to tuners - the middle 4 strings. The middle 4 at the bridge are the essentially straight to the tailpiece. The two E strings angle a bit but not enough to be any part of your tuning issues.

To reiterate, it's the nut.....for one reason or another.

Since that is my guitar that you posted the photo of, I can assure you it has no tuning issues. And the angle is not as extreme as it may appear in the photo.

I agree that it's most likely the nut.. .the pinging is a big sign that the slots are pinching the string or there is some unevenness on the bottom of the slot itself...but without looking at it you will get tons of opinions until you take it to a quality tech who knows what they're doing.... take it to someone who knows how to file the slots.Personally , in your case ,I'd put a TUSQ XL on it and have someone do it right. I file all my own and there are a few tricks that a good luthier or set up tech will understand. These TUSQ nuts will need some fitting and filing but they are well worth it in my opinion. Also make sure when you change strings your using at least 10 gauge on that Gretsch and you stretch them along the fretboard several times after you install them. Stick with a good set of strings like Daddario...I've had great tuning stability with Daddario over every other brand I tried ..plus your neck will be accustomed over time with that particular tension...check your bridge for proper intonation angle on a fresh set of strings and check for any burs in the bridge slots.. String height over 17th fret should be 5/64 bass side -4/64 on the treble side. Give or take..ball park so you don't fret out in upper register..relief .008 to .010 depending on what you like...I go for about .008...also if you take it make them check for high frets, poorly set neck , warped or twisted neck..I check this with every instrument I plan to buy....take it to someone who can independently give you an opinion..if it's poorly constructed call Joe Carducci and get rid of it. Personally , I think it just needs a good setup and nut attention.

– Mike Schindler

.take it to someone who can independently give you an opinion..if it's poorly constructed call Joe Carducci and get rid of it. Personally , I think it just needs a good setup and nut attention.

Joe Carducci inspected it before shipping it to me, pinned the bridge, filed the nut himself, as mentioned in the opening post. This was a replacement for one that had a bad neck, so he replaced it and looked it over himself, and did the setup.

Do you guys think locking tuners or a zero fret (is that even possible?) would help at all? If so, any tuners you recommend?

I haven't had time to bring it to a luthier yet, but hopefully soon.

I wouldn't remotely think of installing a zero fret in a guitar that wasn't designed for it. It's not that it can't be done but it would be expensive to have done so well it doesn't look too odd.....but it will still look odd. And it isn't required as tuners are below the nut in order of tuning issues.

Register Sign in to join the conversation