Modern Gretsch Guitars

String gauge for my Gretsch 6122-1959

Hello everyone, do you think putting 0.13 on this guitar is crazy?

I thought of thomastik Bebop.

Grazie , Paolo.

No. Not crazy. Bending strings may be a challenge.

About as heavy as it gets for electric gitar -- or any gutiar, but you will get some good honkin tones. May have to adjust the truss rod some tho.

I have used the BeBoppers for a long time. With the 13 set you get a wound 3rd. I have used the BB113 set on the Epi Emperor many times.

I have tried the BB112 once on my 6120, but more so the Jazz Swing series. The JS111 set is the lightest with a wound 3rd.

Don't take next comment to specifically...I kind of recall the BB112 set not taking the Bigsby all that well. They seemed to lose their intonation much faster than the JS set with the Bigsby.

But I expect T-I strings to last forever...might just be they were fine.

I use the BB112 on the Byrdland when I want a plain 3rd. It is short scale, makes for a nice feel. I tried the BB113 once on it...it was curious, BB112 I like more.

I have the BB111 on the Super 400 right now, it was an experiment...they are a little too light.

Thanks for the comments!!! Yes, I chose the .13 to have a third wrapped string. I mainly use the 6122 for the Chet Atkins sound, so the third one is a must. Moreover these cords with the colorful wrapping seem to be really cool !!! I think Beboops have green color. I use the swing .12 (red) on my L5. Paolo.

Heaviest i've went was 13s on my Super Chet ,that was back in the 90's ,but i was just using it for rhythm.

You know that Chet had 10-46's on his Gent? Going to 13's just to get a wound third seems drastic to me, given the [noticeable} extra tension the strings will produce and that you'll have to widen the slots in the nut. If you don't enjoy the 13's and want to go back to a lighter gauge, you'll need to replace the nut.

yes Dave, until today I used the "chet atkins gauge" but the sound of my 6122 sometimes seems a bit 'small !! Before choosing to copy the scaling to Chet, I used strings .12 and I liked the sound more !!!!! Furthermore, zero fret does not help to protect the nut? in the sense that it only serves to distance the strings ....!!! thanks anyway

12's are a good compromise 12-52 D'Addario has them with a wound 24 G Jazz light gauge EJ21 (I'm not a Jazz player) I've been using them for years, very playable and a nice full sound Yeah with a zero fret the nut is just a rough spacer and isn't nearly as critical I always have very slight notches in my zero frets anyway so there's never any slippage If you prefer 13's by all means use them!

PM me and ill send you a free set of daddario 12-52s with a wound third, I thought id use them but ive never even opened them

yes Dave, until today I used the "chet atkins gauge" but the sound of my 6122 sometimes seems a bit 'small !! Before choosing to copy the scaling to Chet, I used strings .12 and I liked the sound more !!!!! Furthermore, zero fret does not help to protect the nut? in the sense that it only serves to distance the strings ....!!! thanks anyway

– Paolo_Spadaro

True Paolo that the zero fret evens out the depth of the slots and determines the separation of the strings/slots, but if you open the slots for the heavier gauge and go back to a lighter gauge, expect some side to side movement of the strings (more so the wound strings) in their slots to be aware of.

Sure Dave, I will take this fact into account too; thanks.

D’Addario EJ21: 12 16 24w 32 42 52

Thomastik Bebop BB113

13 17 21w 30 38 53

their thickness alternates, the bigger central ones in the central strings in D’addario!!!!

I like the D'Addarrio's more consistent drop between sizes. 10 10 8 6 4 The Thomastik set has kind of a irregular drop. 15 8 9 4 4

Whatever feels best for you though

Register Sign in to join the conversation