Modern Gretsch Guitars

String Bending / bad guitar again?

The SSLVO I have comes with the Gretsch Adjustomatic and the Gibson ABR-1 fit straight onto the same base. Other Gretsches I have had with Space Control bridges and I was relieved that the Gibson ABR-1 bridge fit straight onto those too. The Adjustomatic is simply a Gotoh ABR-1 style bridge. I like the Gibson better because it has brass saddles rather than zinc, and for whatever reason it just sounds better to me.

Plus I get the Gibson Historic ABR-1 without the wire, as I mentioned earlier. The saddles seem tighter in the bridge and there is no rattling or anything. The only downside is that the Historic no-wire ABR-1 comes with no saddle slots, so you either have to slot it yourself or get a tech to do it. I have learnt to do it myself and have found ways to reduce the friction at the bridge to the point where it is not responsible for any hang-up which could cause tuning issues. It's not that difficult really, but requires a steady hand and good eyesight! If you cut the slots with a round bottom and make sure it is all nice and smooth you will have few tuning problems. A good guide for string depth for the wound strings is around half the width of the string. Then adjust for the radius of the frets.

Believe me, the more you play the guitar the better it will stay in tune. It's all a matter of keeping newish, clean strings on the guitar and restring properly with little excess string on the tuner post. Properly cut nut slots of the correct depth will cure all of your problems.

This is the best sounding bridge for your guitar, but your main problem is still the nut. Tune the guitar, then with a marking pen put a small dot on each string in the middle of the nut slot. Then bend strings and see if the dots have moved.

I wish we could hear some of these bends. Have any clips, youtube videos, etc?

If you really like the guitar, put a bone nut on it and open up the slots a LOT. Polish the nut slots with the finest emery paper you can find and use some oil or graphite in there. Make sure the bottoms of the slots are rounded and not cut to a V shape.

Unpin the bridge and put one on that you like, tune-o-matic or other type. If it slips around, use some resin on the underside of the base.

Uneven fingerboard...have it sanded. If you don't like the guitar enough to invest the extra time and money, sell it and move on. Most of the attention should go to the nut. You have to open up the slots more than you might expect. Also, round off the back edges of the slots slightly with the emery paper.

It's about +10 to 13 cents on the G string. It jumps around a bit so hard to say exactly.

But the note does sound different by ear.

The G string is the worst offender.

The other strings are about +5 to 7 cents, and they sound off to me, but might be acceptable to some people.

– gmascis

I'm a little confused, you don't have a strobe tuner but can determine cents above the 11th fret with a Snark?

I understand it sounding off and guessing how far it might be but I think it would have been cool if you stated that.

Okay. That might take a few days because I don't do the smart phone thing, and I'm doing other things on the weekend, but I will do it next week hopefully when I can get my GF to film it.

What is also frustrating is after a bend I have to re-tune. It slips out of tune after a bend or two.

I always thought .10s should feel like .09s on a shorter scale guitar, but these actually feel stiffer to bend than my 25.5" Jazzmaster. It's crazy.

– gmascis

How are you making out with that video? I think a lot of your questions can be answered with a quick vid.

Curt, I don't have a smart phone, so I can't make a video. Thought I could get my GF to do it, but she's been busy with work. Regarding the tuner, I used Amplitube's tuner as mentioned above. It shows cents. I also used a snark. So two tuners. The luthiers used their own. One guy had the peterson strobe, so I assume that was the most accurate, and it showed the bridge needs to move a bit toward the Bigsby on the treble side.

Billy, I have that bridge (or one similar that came with the guitar) and can use it, but I'll have to remove the pins currently in the guitar to place it. I'm not sure how to remove them. I thought that bridge sounded kind of "dead" because it has plastic saddle slots. On bends, the strings would slip out of those slots, too. It wasn't the most comfortable for palm mutes, either. So, I'd be curious to try a high quality brass tuneo-omatic.

Journeyman said it well right above. I'll have to decide if I can live with these issues. Thanks for the help, all. We can let the thread die since I know what I have to do (well, unless someone wants to explain how to go about removing the pinned bridge posts -- that I don't know how to do).

Depends on how it was pinned. With the strings and the bridge off, it should be easy to see how it was done, and equally obvious how to "unpin" it. However it was done, it's unlikely to take more than basic handtools to undo.

Depends on how it was pinned. With the strings and the bridge off, it should be easy to see how it was done, and equally obvious how to "unpin" it. However it was done, it's unlikely to take more than basic handtools to undo.

– Proteus

Joe C did it at their shop. It has two little pins poking upward. I just don't know how to get them out. The centers of these pins look hollow. Not sure what tool that would be to remove them. I could ask the lutheir next time I see him, or write Gretsch and ask.

Sorry. I wish I were more mechanically inclined and could give a better description.

Probably hex/Allen wrench. Take the guitar to your local hardware or auto parts store and tell the guy you want a wrench to remove those posts.

Or you may well have an L-shaped Allen wrench in a drawer somewhere to fit it.

Six pages in, and at least a pic or two at least would make a huge difference. I feel like we're all blind men describing elephants.

Six pages in, and at least a pic or two at least would make a huge difference. I feel like we're all blind men describing elephants.

– Baxter

Yeah. Also: is it the new neighbours or do I smell a troll?

Remove or sink the pin on the treble side. You can use a .050 allen wrench or grab it with your fingertips. Now you can slide back the bridge on the treble side and use rosin to hold it in place if you need to.

Remove or sink the pin on the treble side. You can use a .050 allen wrench or grab it with your fingertips. Now you can slide back the bridge on the treble side and use rosin to hold it in place if you need to.

– Bluecap

Awesome, thanks, Blue, will try that tonight or tomorrow.

Gmascis. I own a white jet that pinged like you described. I put some oil on the nut and it stays in tune better now. I oiled it and wiggled the bugs by a bunch and now it doesn't ping. It stays in tune longer now. I bend more than bugs you wiggle. Did you try oil on the nut yet?

Bigsby wiggle. Dang spell correct. Lol

OK, everyone sing along with me now:

I bend more than bugs you wiggle
A-wiggle bigger buggle digger doo.

Did you try oil on the nut yet

– Proteus

Everything is going to be okay. Just push back from the keyboard, go into a darkened room, and relax, thinking positive thoughts about your happy place. Again, everything is going to be okay.

Do we need to do an intervention?

What would Captain Kangaroo do?

I love your poetry proteus

– Proteus

My new favorite song...or ear worm, at least. (Full disclosure. The melody is my own doing.)

He and Mr Jeans would strike up a rousing chorus of "I Bend More Than Bugs You Wiggle."

I ALWAYS ask myself what would the Captain do? (Or Mr Rogers.) (Sometimes Pullo.)

Also, thanks Munman - but they're your words!

If that don't get sung at the next Round Up campfire I'll be bitterly disappointed.

He and Mr Jeans would strike up a rousing chorus of "I Bend More Than Bugs You Wiggle."

I ALWAYS ask myself what would the Captain do? (Or Mr Rogers.) (Sometimes Pullo.)

Also, thanks Munman - but they're your words!

– Proteus

That's Mr. Green Jeans, bub. He don't like it when you don't address him properly.

Broke Bunny Rabbit's glasses one day....

Register Sign in to join the conversation