Modern Gretsch Guitars

Streamliner 2622 Before & After

Why the key constriction?

The Full Moon, a somewhat necessary condition for lycanthropic metamorphosis, is found at the ninth fret. I know there's five potential root notes at that fret, but the complication only serves to strangle a joke that was struggling for air as it is.

Feel free to howl with laughter/derision/canis lupus calls at your leisure.

The guitar is very dandy indeed, much improved with shimmering monochromatic metalwork and the fretboard vinyl. It's a lovely custom job which succeeds especially in not looking custom at all, rather it just looks right.

The Full Moon, a somewhat necessary condition for lycanthropic metamorphosis, is found at the ninth fret. I know there's five potential root notes at that fret, but the complication only serves to strangle a joke that was struggling for air as it is.

Ah! Man, that's subtle. Very well played. Very well. I bow to a master.

where "loopy" meets "lupine."

Nice work!

Might i be so bold as to suggest a pearlescent-backed clear pickguard in the same general color palette as the moon inlays? Not too ostentatious, but subtly recapitulating the same colortextures rather than either something stark white or metallic.

Or maybe clear with a larger moon (your choice of phase) behind the clear.

Inspired and purty, in any event!

or perhaps translucent plastic with a moonscape screened onto the back. an applique would probably work.

I think a pearloid pickguard, in a colour match to the moons, as Parabar suggests. But, with a beveled edge to reveal the black, pearloid, black layers behind the pearloid face.

Or, a dulled aluminum.

Blue/black/silver variegated pearloid with layered edging would indeed work.

But I'm off on an inspired-by idea. Looking for ways and means.

But wait! I left out some responses.

stiv_c also sprachen:

My 2 cents: it’s not a Gretsch without the G knobs and the chrome switch.

And there may be something to that. I have knobs and a switch tip here, and I'll try it. It would surely reinforce all the shiny metal. And for all that, the arrow knobs with ruby insets might be right on here. Just a touch of color to highlight the monoculture - and maybe, just maybe not a bling too far, as they assuredly are in all their Falcon appearances.

But that direction, while it surely makes the guitar Gretschier - and few Gretschophiles would object - might be a touch over the top in this context. The dome knobs (which, you know, in their plasticene domeness, were Gretsch before the G-knobs were even a glint in Mr Webster‘s eye) - and the P90s for that matter - hearken back to those pre-flash-n-gaud days when Gretsch did master in elegance, and occasionally even (perish the thought) in understatement. The venerable old knobs make us ask what are those doing on a Gretsch, and make us dig for the answer oh! once upon a time....

Many don't realize what deep rumination is behind the seemingly smallest of aesthetic choices. It's a burden.

(And please, don't nobody think my tongue is entirely absent from my cheek here.)

Then ol' Mr Tubs and sascha couldn't help but grind my moment of modest inspiration under the heels of PRS - Didn't PRS do moon inlays? - and whomsoever constructed that multi-pointed demon-summoning abomination shown in sascha's post (I won't inflict the image on the innocent again), saying I'm almost certain this here was Tim's inspiration. I mean... the two guitars virtually look the same.

Well yeah, obviously.

The ruby jeweled G-knobs would be a nice touch subtly accenting your affinity for red and justifyingly eliminating the plastic nod to the distant past yet still retaining an appropriate historic/traditional classic upgrade. Decisions decisions.

That's a cool transformation! But I did like the big block fret markers.

That's certainly a looker, Tim. Nice work. You definitely get the gold medal for guitar art for 2020.

Pickguard: brushed aluminum - or highly polished if that aesthetic suits you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation