Modern Gretsch Guitars

SSLVO vs HotRod

Hi, I have a SSLVO as my main gutar since 2005 or so. I like the neck on the Setzer signatures.. I wonder if someone have compared the SSLVO vs a HotRod model? Seems to be same specs but are they sounding alike or different animals? Let me know what you think thanx Johnny

I've had every hotrod model made, just sold my new one over the holiday season. I'm gonna guess your SSLVO is an '05 from what you said so this means it has tvjones classics. the new hotrods have Setzer sig pickups and also have a very minimal wiring harness.. So off the bat the new hotrods have pickups that are a little more refined. Neck SS has more definition to each wound string, and a glassier tone on the unwound while the bridge has gotten a bit hotter in the low end w a tad more bite and less upper mids snark.. Then the hotrod harness has less capacitance loading than the SSLVO miles of harness, which makes the hotrod get a smidge more bite out of the treble. Newer body depth does match the SSLVO as the older models were only 2.5 thick. Necks feel just like my brand new SSU-BK.. The SSLVO grabs a slightly better resonate clean sound/acoustic aliveness because of the lacquer...

In the end for me, the new hotrod got sold and the SSU-BK stayed. I'm once again after a 99' hotrod w no trestles and thinner body.

I've had every hotrod model made, just sold my new one over the holiday season. I'm gonna guess your SSLVO is an '05 from what you said so this means it has tvjones classics. the new hotrods have Setzer sig pickups and also have a very minimal wiring harness.. So off the bat the new hotrods have pickups that are a little more refined. Neck SS has more definition to each wound string, and a glassier tone on the unwound while the bridge has gotten a bit hotter in the low end w a tad more bite and less upper mids snark.. Then the hotrod harness has less capacitance loading than the SSLVO miles of harness, which makes the hotrod get a smidge more bite out of the treble. Newer body depth does match the SSLVO as the older models were only 2.5 thick. Necks feel just like my brand new SSU-BK.. The SSLVO grabs a slightly better resonate clean sound/acoustic aliveness because of the lacquer...

In the end for me, the new hotrod got sold and the SSU-BK stayed. I'm once again after a 99' hotrod w no trestles and thinner body.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I'm still shocked you sold your '99. I know you love your SSU, but I thought that 99 was like your holy grail Setzer.

I'm still shocked you sold your '99. I know you love your SSU, but I thought that 99 was like your holy grail Setzer.

– ruger9

When someone offers you $$$$ at Xmas time, nothing is sacred except my 99' SSU and my TK Smith Tele.

Neck is same on all models? Same as The usual signature model?

Neck is same on all models? Same as The usual signature model?

– rocket88

the new hotrods and the sigs are basically the same feel

Not the old ones? From when is the new ones?

Are the old necks different, im looking at a older sslvo, but ilove the necks on the newer hot rods. Are the older necks fatter???

Register Sign in to join the conversation