Modern Gretsch Guitars

SS vs Aluminum Serpentune

My dudes, I have a SS serpentune on my G6119 and I could not be happier. I was planning to order a SS one for my newly acquired 5420t but I read a post where someone suggested the aluminum is best on certain models, but I can't find that post now.

The 5420t has a "woody" acoustic tone that the 6119 (waffle bracing) does not have. What difference in tone might I see with the aluminum versus stainless?

And here's to hoping I can remember my PayPal password so I can put the order in tonight!

Something about Dynas liking one and Filters another. I've got a Bigsby bridge which is aluminum and is sounding too spiky to me. My '58 Dyna Clipper is a lot like the 5420 but without soundpost. I was thinking either brass or SS.

Something about Dynas liking one and Filters another. I've got a Bigsby bridge which is aluminum and is sounding too spiky to me. My '58 Dyna Clipper is a lot like the 5420 but without soundpost. I was thinking either brass or SS.

– lx

Maybe that was what I saw pointed out. Obviously my 5420 has the "blacktop" filters which I think are alnico magnets. I'm not yet sure how I feel about them, this weekend I will finally be playing at stage volume to see what they really sound like. If I don't like them I'll probably switch to TVJ classics.

Dyna's like SS. Filters like AL (though the P'trons in my SpectraSonic like the SS).

I have an Aluminum Serpentune on my Dynasonic Duo Jet. I tried a Stainless Steel one first. The SS delivered a smooth, solid, great general all around tone with great sustain. The Aluminum brings out some more high mid spank and also enhances the sustain but maybe not quite as much as the SS.

The Blacktop Filtertrons use ceramic magnets.

I just ordered the stainless version!

"The Blacktop Filtertrons use ceramic magnets."

I had ceramic filtertrons in my 1999 G6119 and they always seemed "scratchy" to me, not full. I think the rocker or distortion guys really liked them but I play mostly clean. I changed to DuoTrons which made me love that guitar.

Sounds like I might have similar tonal challenges with the Blacktops unless there is something different than the previous ceramic version I had.

I'm also using a Fender Excelsior these days but back then was playing through a modern Virbrolux Classic reverb (or some such name) so we'll see what kind of tone I can get out of these Blacktops.

Seems like you made your choice but I'll add my .02. I like the twang of the AL with both dyna types and filters. The SS may have had more sustain - really hard to tell but it had a bit of spike in the highs that I didn't care for. This was audible through the amp and I recorded it and the difference between the two could be heard in the recordings. I also tried brass - my second favorite.

Since you already have SS that you dig, I'd say stick with that which you did :)

I will also add,since it came up in a post above, do not judge AL Tru arc based on your experience with the Bigsby comp. Ithas all the twangy goodness of the Bigsby but is fatter sounding but still clear and prolly has more sustain.

I have SS, brass, aluminum and copper regular Tru-Arcs and prefer SS on Dynas and Copper on the Filters. The aluminum one is on a 5122 with Duotrons. High mid-spank might be a good description. I would be happy with copper here as well but keep the aluminum on for something a little different. I play mainly out of a 1966 Gemini 2 or a Super Champ SD with a 12 inch Celestion speaker.

try your dog's name!

Dyna's like SS. Filters like AL (though the P'trons in my SpectraSonic like the SS).

– NJBob

I have actually found the opposite to be the case for me. I like SS and brass for filters and love the Aluminium on my Dyna 6120. The Aluminum (at least what I hear) adds to the spank that I want from Dynas, whereas I find the SS to be more even across the register .

Register Sign in to join the conversation