Modern Gretsch Guitars

Sounds sketchy

I call complete BS. Something looks wrong about the upper shoulder - but in any case, Gretsch building in CT ... in 2009? That's well within the modern era which unfolded here on the GDP. I'd think someone would have noticed, and we'd have a memory of it. In 2009 FMIC had already been driving things for 6 years, the US Custom Shop was in operation, and production was well established in Japan, Korea, and China. Why would anyone build a prototype on the east coast?

The guitar is ridiculously wrong in so many ways, I can't imagine Gretsch had anything to do with it. Wrong pickups and surrounds (why would Gretsch prototype a guitar for Japanese production with one bog-standard humbucker and a fat Duesenberg-looking single-coil - instead of FilterTrons?); wrong trem; wrong knobs and switch; bridge placed wrong; G-brand in the wrong place.

The f-holes and cowboy fret markers look strangely right (though what's that goofy nut?). I suppose it could have been a Gretsch carcass someone resurrected on the cheap with lousy components, but it's hard to imagine why.

Maybe a dealer went wild hare and mocked up a cheaper, supposedly more Gibson-guy-attractive "prototype" as an idea mule for Gretsch corporate - but I can't imagine this mule would have flown. Along with its many issues, it's ugly.

It's a mystery...but if it's an actual Gretsch prototype, it would upend everything we think we know about the brand and its management under FMIC.

And 3,000.00 would be a ludicrous price if it WAS what the guy claims.

Which...it ain't.

Looks like a Gibson dude ordered A Gretsch Custom Shop guitar, and came out with a Gibson.

Looks like a Japan-made DSW body and neck that somebody put non-Gretsch parts on. Maybe it did come from NH, but in that case I suspect the opposite of what the seller claims. Guild did some limited edition guitars like that : Asian-made "husks" that were finished and furnished in New Hartford. Who knows, maybe this guitar was part of an aborted plan to do the same with some Gretsches?

If it smells like dookie...

Does it raise any suspicions that the seller calls this guitar a Country Gentleman?

The f-holes look oversized to my eye.

but possibly real, if it looks like other NH productuion

Would anybody put a tension bar on a 6120?

https://nwct.craigslist.org...

– Kap'n

Could it be one of the early 512Xs that has been stripped and modded...? I used to have a red one (5129) with the tension bar Bigsby. But mine did not have a bridge with a base, the bushings/height adjustment screws were mounted directly to the top of the guitar.

Of course, this one has the western inlays in the fretboard (and headstock), while the 512Xs had thumbnail inlays and the ELECTROMATIC headstock. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, so all the obvious mods I need not mention. ;)

A picture of the label (if there is one) would be helpful. The body does indeed look more like a Gretsch than the Chinese knockoffs do, so I'm pretty sure this one - at some point - has been legit...

Anders

I’ll contact the seller and see if I can go look at it if I have time. I’ll make sure he/she knows what I do for a living. Might be lots of fun.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. To accept this as a Gretsch company project (rather than - possibly - an inexplicably bastardized deployment of some Gretsch components), we’re going to need serious provenance and history. 2009 is not so long ago that any of it should be lost to the mists of time.

Dude’s got some splainin to do.

There was a flamey natural 6120 hotrod in one the local shops, with Filtertrons.

I agree with Gretschoholic; modified earlier 512x series. Have some fun Greg!

Edit- upon further thought I may agree with WB - modded DSW husk.

I agree with Gretschoholic; modified earlier 512x series. Have some fun Greg!

Edit- upon further thought I may agree with WB - modded DSW husk.

– Baba Joe

Yup, I changed my mind too... The shape of the cutaway is slightly different on the 512Xs than on a 6120. Adding the G-brand, the bound f-holes and the steer's head inlaid headstock (all of which IMO look too good to be aftermarket, unless done by a real pro), my guess is also a DSW.

I think this is a parted out and stripped DSW (like Walter said) rebuilt with Epiphone parts.

No way the seller believes his own sales pitch.

I think this is a parted out and stripped DSW (like Walter said) rebuilt with Epiphone parts.

No way the seller believes his own sales pitch.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I kinda like it but would be scared off by the description and price. A humbucking Gretschiphone DSW might be more accurate.

Register Sign in to join the conversation