Modern Gretsch Guitars

So… I have an opportunity to purchase a Black Phoenix

Black TV Classics. Are the shells just painted, do you think, or something more serious like powder-coating? Are they shiny or dull?

I'm trying to think where blacked-out TV Classics would be cool. I'm not coming up with anything.

– Proteus

They are not shiny -- at least not like chrome or stainless steel, and yes, they are powder-coated.

The guy has so much dosh that it is not impossible that he was willing to pay whatever the cost to have TV Jones make these special for him.

Yeah, black pickups on a Gretsch... drawing a blank there, too.

Not TOM on steroids, just your regular run of the mill TOM. Can't tell how tone improves on a Tru-Arc, never had one on my Gretsches. One day I will.

BP has the fattest neck compare to my WF, SSLVO, Silver Jet, 5420 and CG. My WF has a snappier feel, tension is looser on the BP, which I prefer. Both are strung with 11s. I tried to fix my WF to feel like a BP, but to no avail.

Funny, whenever I need a jazzy tone, I switch to neck pickup then I simply reduce the MV to 6-7 and reduce the neck volume around 8—the BP won't allow you that.

Overall, it's a hot-rodded, stripped-down White Falcon in a black color. Simple yet elegant. The Classics deliver as always.

– jetbunny

I am not all that familiar with Tune-O-Matic bridges, having owned few Gibson guitars, and even then the LP Special I have has a wraparound bridge.

If you look closely at the photo, the ends of the bridge are squared off and not round like a Tune-O-Matic. It also has what appears to be more travel for the individual bridge pieces. If I had the guitar I'd take a photo that would illustrate it better. It appears to be aftermarket. When it gets back to me after the original TV Jones pickups are installed I will provide more detail.

For now, all I have is the crappy cellphone pic.

Congrats Pooka!

I don't play mine nearly as much as i should,but changing that bridge is a good idea.I should listen to my own advice....but i'm lazy.

Yeah, black pickups on a Gretsch... drawing a blank there, too.

Well, I was thinking of other guitars, either in my stable or not, which would benefit from them. Just can't think of anything - or at least anything that appeals to my taste.

Now, if they were candy apple red...oh yeah.

I'm not crazy about the TOM bridge. They are fine for my LPs but I think a Tru-Arc is a must have. I have the Tru-Arc on my 5126 and it is the reason I play it more than the Black Phoenix. I feel it improves the tone but really helps (me anyway) with comfort.

Sorry for the follow-on post. He also put a black switch tip on it. There are black pickup rings in the case, too. I'm surprised he didn't have a black pickguard cut for it, as well. There are four black Gretsch Arrow knobs in the case, too. Honestly? Yuck...

He also has the pickup height adjusted so that there is barely a paper's width between a fretted string and the top of the pickup screw. Not sure what he was going for there. Just... strange. The guitar at least, is in very good shape.

Can BP owners tell me something about the bridges on these? They look like TOMs on steroids. Do you like them? Is the Tru-Arc a significantly better upgrade? And if so, which one?

Craig B.: it looks like yours is stainless. 9.5"?

I got a Tru-Arc stainless for my 6620 and it made immense improvements in the tone, not to mention eliminating the annoying rattle it produced on some frequencies.

– PookaMacPhellimey

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm not totally sure the specs for the Tru-Arc on my Phoenix as it was on there when I bought it from the original owner (BONUS). However, looks to be stainless and and matches the radius which is 9.5", so I think you are correct. Sounds like you're already a Tru-Arc guy, so I don't need to preach to you. I have them on my two Jets, my 6120 Hot Rod and Phoenix. Love them!

Sorry -- I didn't mean that to be so snarky. It just astounds me the amount of gear he goes through... and it's all over the map, none of it conforming to our preconceptions of somewhat genre-specific guitars. Which... is a good thing?

– PookaMacPhellimey

Well, the fact that he goes through the gear makes it available to the next guy at a reduced price? One could consider a decal (or painted) white falcon on it, the bird, and have them both? Kinda like having your cake and eating it to? GRIN.

Well, the fact that he goes through the gear makes it available to the next guy at a reduced price? One could consider a decal (or painted) white falcon on it, the bird, and have them both? Kinda like having your cake and eating it to? GRIN.

– RCgold

Yeah, some of it is unbelievable, however. He traded in a Guild F-47 at the weekend a couple of months ago. The shop owner alerted me because he knew I was looking for a Guild acoustic. I scrounged up the money after a week or so, and went back to the shop only to find that the same guy had then bought it back.

It then got traded back in by the same guy at the beginning of December and someone bought it 3-4 days later through Reverb.

Fickle doesn't begin to describe it. I am sure most cities have people of the same ilk.

I might look for a White Falcon sticker -- that's a good idea.

Register Sign in to join the conversation