Modern Gretsch Guitars

SMOKE” The Story

Thanks for sharing, Joe! That was cool!

Great video, Thank You Joe!! At least there was a final explanation on the position of that Master Volume!!!!!

Cheers Joe!

Pretty cool geet,it's safe to say ,i want one!

That was definitely interesting. Thanks, Joe.

One thing though: How do you set the saddle height for each string individually on this bridge (as Tom says in the video at around the 5:00 mark)?

That was definitely interesting. Thanks, Joe.

One thing though: How do you set the saddle height for each string individually on this bridge (as Tom says in the video at around the 5:00 mark)?

– sascha

Files.

cool video !!! thanks for posting it, Joe. it was good to see Tom again, too.

great vid!! thanks joe c...always great to hear tv jones get into it!...i can understand why brian loves that guitar..a 1959...his birth year!!

to a ny guitar kid of that era, driving past those gretsch factory buildings was monumental...

cheers

Thank you, Joe!! That's unbelievably cool!!

That was a great watch! Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic video and thanks for posting!

Thank you (AGAIN....) Joe!!

Enjoyed the vid! Is there a reproduction “SMOKE” model ??

some people always have to touch things that dont belong to them...

some people always have to touch things that dont belong to them...

– TheNocturneBrain

Quick, run!

Very interesting video, Joe, thanks for sharing this with us. I wish my hearing was as sensitive as Brian's, playing hard rock, and attending super loud rock concerts has taken a toll on my high frequency hearing.

I also was wondering what kind of TOM bridge has the ability to make individual string height adjustments. I looked closely at the bridge several times, and didn't see any obvious adjustment screws. Is it really just adjusted using files, as JD mentioned?

Very interesting video, Joe, thanks for sharing this with us. I wish my hearing was as sensitive as Brian's, playing hard rock, and attending super loud rock concerts has taken a toll on my high frequency hearing.

I also was wondering what kind of TOM bridge has the ability to make individual string height adjustments. I looked closely at the bridge several times, and didn't see any obvious adjustment screws. Is it really just adjusted using files, as JD mentioned?

– Wade H

Since my question above was serious and Tom definitely spoke about "...can easily adjust it..." [the individual string height] he's probably not talking about files. Try to increase height with a file. I'm also still interested.

Since my question above was serious and Tom definitely spoke about "...can easily adjust it..." [the individual string height] he's probably not talking about files. Try to increase height with a file. I'm also still interested.

– sascha

Well, obviously one can't increase height with a file, but if one knows what they're doing with a file in hand, start shallow, and work your way to the correct radius/string height on each saddle.

I didn't see anything special about the bridge, so remember that TV is a luthier, most of us aren't.

Easy for TV, hard for a fellow that files a culvert in every saddle to start with. Lol

I was just wondering if the bridge used maybe has some feature to dial in saddle height from bottom side like some Fender offset (style bridge) has. Can't remember which.

TV talks about the pickups in Brian's "smoke". But there is no discussion on why the Gretsch model has Ray Butts pickups instead of Brian's Signature pickups?

TV talks about the pickups in Brian's "smoke". But there is no discussion on why the Gretsch model has Ray Butts pickups instead of Brian's Signature pickups?

– johnsgretsch

Those pickups in Smoke sure look like '59/60 vintage. Tom also mentions swapping their positions and recharging magnets, which leads me to believe that Smoke has original pickups. And the Ray Butts pickups are the closest thing to real 1959 long pole PAF Filtertrons.

I was just wondering if the bridge used maybe has some feature to dial in saddle height from bottom side like some Fender offset (style bridge) has. Can't remember which.

– sascha

no, pretty sure that's a regular ABR-style tune-a-matic. with the right tools, it's pretty easy to get anywhere from a 10" to a 16" radius on them, depending on what the guitar needs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation