Modern Gretsch Guitars

Rubber tips on Bigsby handles

Not sure if you get this with domestic products in the US or if its an EU thing but while I can see how rubber tips on Fender amp switches probably has some kind of safety reasoning behind it to do with them getting warm....why on earth do they put them on the end of new Bigsby handles?

It's for your protection.

They're there for the same reason they put the 'tone foam' under the bridge base.

They're there for the same reason they put the 'tone foam' under the bridge base.

– Gerry Ratrod

which is?

(genuine question)

It’s just part of the packaging to avoid scratches during shipping. Most of us just remove it and toss. Some like to keep them on (the handle rubber, not the under bridge foam, which needs to be removed).

I often wondered that myself. Learn something new here everyday. Thank you.

I remove them but save them for whenever the guitar will be in its case.

About 10+ years ago I ended up with a "ding" on the upper part of the lower bout caused by the case lid pressing the handle in a way that pressed the handle tip against the body.

Note -- My guitars are normally NOT in cases but are hanging in a "music room" which has controlled humidity and temperature levels. They only go in cases when being transported.

I remove them but save them for whenever the guitar will be in its case.

About 10+ years ago I ended up with a "ding" on the upper part of the lower bout caused by the case lid pressing the handle in a way that pressed the handle tip against the body.

Note -- My guitars are normally NOT in cases but are hanging in a "music room" which has controlled humidity and temperature levels. They only go in cases when being transported.

– senojnad

ah ok...that sounds like a reasonable explanation for the rubber tip.

I'm really surprised the lid pressed it enough to make contact with the body though!

ah ok...that sounds like a reasonable explanation for the rubber tip.

I'm really surprised the lid pressed it enough to make contact with the body though!

– tabletop

That’s not unusual in my experience.

Vibramute (?) actually makes and sells them.

I tried one, but I couldn't feel anything!

It's an optional extra for sweaty palms and people like me who can't get a grip........

It affords the luxury of going outside society’s normal boundaries of Bixbing without fear of a tarnished handle.

are they standard equipment on vibramate units?

I dunno...i'm pretty ham-fisted...reckon most of my hand touches the handle so i'd just end up tarnishing it further up

Register Sign in to join the conversation