Modern Gretsch Guitars

Roots edition guitars

Mine is in my backseat and I am headed home, but I have yet to lay my hands on it.

Well, in the morning light, I discovered a significant crack on the back. I went back to GC and they took it back and are sending me another. I made sure they had one in the warehouse.

Well, in the morning light, I discovered a significant crack on the back. I went back to GC and they took it back and are sending me another. I made sure they had one in the warehouse.

– Bob Howard

Oy vey. That is unfortunate. I am glad that they had another one for you to receive.

I have some very positive thoughts about these guitars having played mine quite a bit last night and a bit more this morning. The key, however, is that I am ever mindful of what these guitars are not. Once that is conceded, then it becomes very easy to admire these little gems.

Perhaps when I am on my computer, rather than on my phone, I can offer a few observations.

Yes, please. I played mine quite a bit before turning it in. Remarkably full and balanced.

Talk me down. I don't need one of these. I'm well covered on acoustics. I only have a fear of missing out. I don't need it.

– Baxter

You, jest, yes?

Guitar Center made me whole again by replacing my damaged G9631. It is a really great guitar. If you put a recording mic right at the end of the neck and 6” away, it sounds so nice it’s hard to believe it is only $399.

Guitar Center made me whole again by replacing my damaged G9631. It is a really great guitar. If you put a recording mic right at the end of the neck and 6” away, it sounds so nice it’s hard to believe it is only $399.

– Bob Howard

Bob, I have been holding off on posting my thoughts on the Style 3 because I have a Style 2 model showing up tomorrow with FedEx (assuming that they can make it). I would like to be able to compare them.

Well, after the taxman came, any hope I had has left the building along with my wallet.

"Should five per cent appear too small? Be thankful I don't take it all...."

I had to revive this old thread, as I too recently bought a style 2 000 and am loving it. I understand that they are now discontinued, but I just happened to see it in my local shop, where I had recently purchased a 6120-1959LTV on trade and I had a credit, that was the same price of this little acoustic. It’s a great little guitar for the price, about $325. I found a Gretsch gig bag on Reverb that fits it perfectly, so it’s my new travel/living room guitar. Thanks Ric12string for posting the article about the man who designed these cool little acoustics.

As per Ric12string’s share of the inspiration of the Roots (style 3 I have) this sweetheart is indeed a fingerpicking dream. Then, the parler size is God given to play on the sofa, breaking away from the TV news which, for the most part, isn’t encouraging. She’s making my social distancing isolation much more reasonable. I’ve learned Elizabeth Cottons "Sweet bye in bye” fairly well. And look to have plenty more time to get it better! Hope you all are safe and well!

I had to revive this old thread, as I too recently bought a style 2 000 and am loving it. I understand that they are now discontinued, but I just happened to see it in my local shop, where I had recently purchased a 6120-1959LTV on trade and I had a credit, that was the same price of this little acoustic. It’s a great little guitar for the price, about $325. I found a Gretsch gig bag on Reverb that fits it perfectly, so it’s my new travel/living room guitar. Thanks Ric12string for posting the article about the man who designed these cool little acoustics.

– Beatlebacker

I bought a nice used G9521 000 about 6 months ago. It is my favorite guitar. I can't see me ever selling this guitar, unbeatable for the money. I would like to know if anyone has found a hard case that fits very well, my first choice would be a Gretsch case, thanks

Register Sign in to join the conversation