Modern Gretsch Guitars

Rocking ABR-1 ( aka adjust-o-matic )

I love the sound of the copper Tru Arc on a hollow body, but the ABR-1 actually sounds better to me on the center block 6112 JR.

But the ABR-1 is a creaking mess with the Bigsby if one is bothered by that sort of thing.

Sooooooo,...

10 minutes with a hand reamer and file and we have a radius on the bottom surfaces of the bridge and tapered post holes and - a rocking ABR-1.

Funciona de cojones. Rocks back and forth smoothly, no creaking, absurdly stable tuning, etc.

Go figure.

Chris

the crowned undersurface of the bridge resting on the thumbwheel

the post hole, wider at the top vs the bottom to allow the rocking

Well considering the absurd cost to re-tool to make a rocking ABR-1, I think the stock bridge will be fine for most.

Plus I suspect that a Serpen-Tune aluminum Tru Arc would sound great - and similar to the ABR-1 spank that is needed on the center block 6112 JR.

I just was going with what was in front of me this morning for available solutions.

But it does make for another way to get to Bigsby heaven if you love the ABR-1 for some reason.

You just re-invented something!

Gibson used to put special ABR-1's that were round on the bottom on their vibrato-equipped guitars, and they sat on thumbwheels that were domed.

You just re-invented something!

Gibson used to put special ABR-1's that were round on the bottom on their vibrato-equipped guitars, and they sat on thumbwheels that were domed.

– WB

SO is anyone making those today?

I wonder when and why Gibson quit using those, it does make sense when you see it, doesn't it?

Billy, I don't think so. You can get the domed thumbwheels (crazyparts, germany), but I haven't seen the bridges new anywhere.

I do not see why you would need both a domed thumbwheel and a crowned bridge undersurface. The total rocking action is fairly limited even with extreme Bigsby action.

But you do need to allow the bridge to move on the posts. So I tapered the post holes to keep the bridge in its desired location via the snug fit at the base of the hole, but allow it to rock via the larger diameter at the top.

For a home-brew solution, a set of domed wheels from Crazyparts and a hand reamer tool to taper the post holes would be workable for most players.

You do not need much of a taper at all in the hole, so a basic hardware store hand reamer will do it. Maybe around $20 in many places.

well as Walter notes, it is just some jerk with a file remaking what existsted in the past.

It does work nicely.

Bigsby made some of their bridges with an angled bottom too. Post a few more pix of your Annie. I didn't know they made a Jr. in copper mist.

I like the sound of the adjustomatic too, but like the sound of a Gibson ABR-1 even more! I use the one without the wire. The saddles seem a tighter fit on those, and I don't get the rattles.

Bigsby made some of their bridges with an angled bottom too. Post a few more pix of your Annie. I didn't know they made a Jr. in copper mist.

– lx

It is a 6112 JR as shown on the Gretsch website and many dealers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation