Modern Gretsch Guitars

Road Test - 6120T-‘55VC Chet Atkins

I can imagine in 55 I'd be turned off with the branding and every Western cliche thrown on it but now that it's been a thing for so long its got this historic coolness to it. Now if it had 'Howdy Pardner! ' branded on it would be hard to overcome that.

How is the tuning? I have an SSLVO which seems to have a narrower headstock. It stays in tune well. I've heard some people say the RHH can go out of tune kind of easy when using the bar because of the wider headstock and sharper string angle. Maybe it's not really true but I have read it a few times.

Not sure if the headstock is the size of the RHH or not on yours? Can you use the bar quite a bit and have it hold tune?

I'm kind of craving a 6120 with dynasonics, tone posts and prefer laquer. This guitar seems to fit the bill. Going out of tune easily when using the bar would rule it out though

After a year with this guitar I can honestly say I've had NO tuning issues. I use the Bigsby regularly -- moderately, no dive-bombing. No impact on tuning stability.

Still loving this guitar as I did on the day I bought it.

After a year with this guitar I can honestly say I've had NO tuning issues. I use the Bigsby regularly -- moderately, no dive-bombing. No impact on tuning stability.

Still loving this guitar as I did on the day I bought it.

– senojnad

Thanks. Seriously considering one of these.

Thanks. Seriously considering one of these.

– helliger

These were very hard to find a year ago. I found mine at Wildwood Guitars -- nobody else had them and Gretsch was out of stock with none planned until late spring, this year.

It looks like they ARE available now. Wildwood, Sweetwater and Musicians Friend all show them as "in stock".

I had a local luthier in Vegas, Neil Smith install some new locking tuners and go over it. He took care of the nut and bridge as I had a few Tings here and there, The nut was the issue. Since I got it back? There is no nicer sounding/feeling guitar out there. This Gretsch is just amazing!

I have a 2012 DSW. Essentially the same as the’55 VS without the nitro finish. Mine is upgraded with TV Jones T-Armond’s. Never had any tuning issues.

Register Sign in to join the conversation