Modern Gretsch Guitars

Replacements for Grover Imperials?

Billy, seems like it would be possible to machine the shaft diameter down a bit. Perhaps a Dremel held in a vise and the tuner in another vise?
You could turn the tuning key to machine around the shaft in a uniform manner? Might be worth a try, worst case is you ruin a tuner you hate.

Billy, seems like it would be possible to machine the shaft diameter down a bit. Perhaps a Dremel held in a vise and the tuner in another vise?
You could turn the tuning key to machine around the shaft in a uniform manner? Might be worth a try, worst case is you ruin a tuner you hate.

– Hipbone

A lathe is needed for turning down a tuner post diameter.

10 seconds with a dremel on a steel rod will show why.

The vintage ones come apart very easily. Do the modern ones?

Hi Billy, how much more clearance do you need? Can the buttons be cut something like this and still have enough left to be usable? I have wire EDM capability in Anaheim if you want to try it.

A lathe is needed for turning down a tuner post diameter.

10 seconds with a dremel on a steel rod will show why.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I’m not so sure about that. It certainly is entering into a MacGyver landscape, but a Dremel will remove some material.

I’m not so sure about that. It certainly is entering into a MacGyver landscape, but a Dremel will remove some material.

– Hipbone

It sure will. Lol

Put Wilkinson Imperials on.. They're cheap, 18 to 1 ratio and are great, and look great.. I have them on a few guitars..

ritchie bg

I’m not sure I would do it to my guitar but there are some pretty hi-tech tools designed for using a Dremel.... I think a person could do a fine job of machining down some tuners they hate.

If they were made of wood yes, but metal is a different animal.

But what do I know. I was a machinist for 5 years, and still have all my fingers! Lol

To each their own.

There's no Wilinson info on the net. Do they have 1/4" string shafts? What is the distance from the center of the tuner to the button?

I have a machine shop, but the Grover Imperials can't be taken apart and reassembled. The shaft would have to be taken out to be turned down...and then of course it wouldn't be gold anymore.

Guitar Fetish has what they call "Full Size Gold Grover Imperial styled Machines". Can't beat the price at $27.00 a set. However, they could also have the same issues as the stock Imperials.

Register Sign in to join the conversation