Modern Gretsch Guitars

Replace Electronics - Pre-FMIC 6121

I have a 1992 6121 and the pickup selector and 2 of the volume controls have gotten wonky. I recall that these pre-FMIC ones are metric and to replace means enlarging the holes. My luthier friend says, no problem (without actually looking at the job, so hopefully so). I'm going to replace everything so:
1) What are the best brand pots and switches to get and what values? 2) Any capacitor/transister add-ons desirable? 3) Any different way to wire it all up (diagram appreciated) other than stock? 4) Anything else I need to tell him?

I'm sticking with the stock pickups for now because they seem fine so not sure TV Jones' will make it better, just different.

Thanks! Vince

Vince, I had a '93 G6128t-57. The electronics were terrible. All I had to do was get in touch with TV Jones and they put together a great, inexpensive, quality (switchcraft/CTS/Belden) wire harness, and no surgery was required on my guitar. Do yourself a favor and call/email TV Jones.

If yours is the Filter model with tone knob,I’d probably swap everything out.New CTS 500k pots(solid shaft,which your current knobs may not work since you have metric pots,or drill out the centers,unless you’d want to do split shafts and keep your original knobs) new wiring,new Switchcraft jack and selector switch and probably a 22 yellow Jupiter cap.If my memory serves ,I believe this is what I did with my preFender guitars,just a total gut and redo of the electrics. You can buy a pre wired harness from TVJ but I don’t think you’d be able to fish it all through inside Jet body. Slow typing but yeah what Andy said.

Simplest method would be the TV Jones AndyJ recommended. Otherwise, I'd go with Belden wire, CTS pots (500K or 1 Meg), Orange Drop caps, and Switchcraft switches and jack.

I upgraded everything in my '89 6120: TVJones pups and harness. I did have to enlarge the holes. I used a high speed drill set graduated in 64ths and slowly enlarged the holes 2/3 times. If your not up to that, have a local tech do it. You can see schematics on tvjones' site -- he uses CTS pots and Belden wire; no problems with fitting the knobs but the switchtip will need to be replaced. I just reamed out the metric threads, dabbed some glue in the tip and slipped it on -- no problem. When I redid the wiring for my DuoJet I also used a TVJones harness and while installation is a bit of a PITA, it can be done with fishing line/rubber tubing.

Well, TV Jones it is then! Thanks!

Vince

TV Jones does great work and is a nice guy for sure, but if you can solder, or you have a guitar guy buddy who can, shipping a harness from the US to the UK and paying duty, probably, and or taxes, is an expensive way to get some CTS and switchcraft parts into your guitar.

You want CTS or Bourns 500K Audio pots, switchcraft switch and jack. If you were happy with the way it sounds, keep the wiring as it was. Use the cap that was in there, even aliens can't hear the difference between cap types and brands in a passive guitar circuit.

TV Jones does great work and is a nice guy for sure, but if you can solder, or you have a guitar guy buddy who can, shipping a harness from the US to the UK and paying duty, probably, and or taxes, is an expensive way to get some CTS and switchcraft parts into your guitar.

You want CTS or Bourns 500K Audio pots, switchcraft switch and jack. If you were happy with the way it sounds, keep the wiring as it was. Use the cap that was in there, even aliens can't hear the difference between cap types and brands in a passive guitar circuit.

– WB

I'm in the USA so that's not a problem.

But what if my next gig has outer spacemen/women/people/whatevers?????

Register Sign in to join the conversation