Modern Gretsch Guitars

Reissue Single Anniversary?

Did Gretsch/Fender ever reissue the single anniversary??

Yes, they did in the pre-FMIC years with the slightly "wrong" body shape. I have only seen those in sunburst so far, though. I'll see if i find a pic.

Edit: It was the 110th Anniversary guitar.

MARS used to carry it, I don't remember if I saw it anywhere else.

that's a good looking guitar

They also made a 2 tone green one. The pre-FMIC guitars get bashed for being "wrong" but they are well made instruments that only get better with time -- and usually a change in electronics.

Wow, if I lived closer I might just pick that up as a hot rod platform.

They also made a 2 tone green one. The pre-FMIC guitars get bashed for being "wrong" but they are well made instruments that only get better with time -- and usually a change in electronics.

– lx

decently made overall perhaps, but the fretwork is often sub-par, and I've seen too many necks from that era with bumps, humps, twists and other warping.

And while they might be decently built, they were badly designed. A lot of those guitars have tops, backs, and sides that are unneccesarily thick (ànd that damn "waffle bracing" in a lot of cases!) - resulting in very dead hollowbodies that in some respects feel and act more like solidbodies, and are often stupid heavy.

I don't see the point in completely overbuilt hollowbody guitars, and thankfully, neither did Mike Lewis when he redesigned the whole line back when FMIC stepped in.

I remember most of this era having thick posts dead center under the bridge which for me was a turn off. That and the different body shape. Not because of vintage correctness but just because I find the original shape more pleasing to the eye.

I probably should have qualified my response: The '89 6120 had bad electronics and was heavy. Gretsch took the Baldwin shape and the Baldwin construction of 7-ply sides with 3-ply tops and over-built the tops and backs with a 5-ply. No lining = cheaper, faster construction. (Gretsch was fooling around with this idea in the early sixties.) Acoustically, the sound in my '89 improved over the years and of course TVJones made his bread and butter doing the electronics right. The '90 Synchro 400C was well made, good sounding and a real beauty. I saw some questionable stuff built a bit later and remember lots of complaints here about neck humps and twists. I'm proud of what Gretsch is doing now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation